1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I HAVE A DREAM BUT NEED HELP

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I would like to start a Trapshooting, Sporting Clay Shooters, Skeet Shooters
    Discount supply house, it will sell shot, powder, primers, wads, and targets.

But I need backing and financing am presently looking for a building in the
    Lancaster, Baltimore Ohio Area because of lower overhead, yet still near major highways for trucks to bring in supplies.

I feel this is a way to lower the costs of shooting to dedicated shooters.

This will start out as a one man operation, with all monies being used to purchase shooting supplies. I will negotiate shot, powder,wad and primer costs with manufacturers and major suppliers, to obtain maximum discounts to shooters and Gun Clubs for their targets.

Your investment monies strictly used for supplies and no labor costs to me until it is a minimal profitable business.

I would like to be able to take consignment guns to sell. So the building needs to have a display area adjacent to warehouse area.

I have some contacts w/major mfgrs for shooting related needs.

If you would like to invest or know investors please contact me at:

Gary Bryant
    3490 Tschopp Rd.
    Lancaster, Ohio 43130
    Home phone 740-687-0048
    Cell phone 614-374-5567

2. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Great idea now try and get supplies. Distributors generally set up their sales people with allotments, the better customers get the supplies right now. The shop I help out in has been in business for over 20 yrs and can't get enough supplies to go around.

Buying straight from the manufacturers will require a huge amount of cash flow. Don't forget about their existing customers that they can't supply now.

Not trying to piss on your parade just making a suggestion.

3. Milkbone

Milkbone TS Member

Sir, I believe you have just run afoul of securities regulations by soliciting for funds without filing the proper forms with the SEC and jumping through whatever hoops they want you to jump through. Suggest you consult with an attorney before soliticing funds in this manner.

4. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Gutsie or retarded, I don't know which. Why don't you go into debt like most who want to start a business. You bring nothing to the table. Why would a supplier deal with you and give deep discounts as you have no customers and shipping will kill you.

Do you have a business plan or just an idea, which the world is full of??

Don

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Gary..... Your idea, as good as it sounds, has been tried many times in the past. Basically, what you are trying to become is a "Discount Supply House". This would make you on the same level as Dick's, Sportsmans Warehouse, and a host of others. As mentioned above, you must have a VERY LARGE supply of money in order to even get any manufacturers attention. No matter how much money you raise, or have, you will NEVER be able to compete with WalMart and the likes. If you are trying to line up investors, you MUST have some sort of collatoral to offer them in order to secure their funds. What do you have to offer any investor as a guarantee they will not only recoup their original investment, but, make them money on the loan as well? The biggest downside to this type of business is the low profit margins you would have to maintain to remain competitive. You must maintain a huge volumne of sales in order to turn enough profit to, not only pay your suppliers, but, your creditors and yourself, as well. Starting a business such as this is next to impossible with today's economy. While I wish you all the luck in the world, I wouldn't get my hopes up that someone is going to step up and offer you the money it would take to make this venture work..... Just my opinion.. Dan Thome (Trap2)

6. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

I'd contact BO and see if he has any porkulus funds left that he can give you.

7. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

Perhaps a co-op buying group would be a good test bed / start-up plan to determine feasibility.

8. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Gold E might be on the right track...

we do it here in Alaska. we're a cut off population of shooters with somewhat limited options to buy stuff.

I just brought in 10 tons of shot and was able to supply the locals at very favorable costs to them.

What I think works best for the shooters is the co-op getting together and buying in bulk and splitting it up. Supplies are tight right now, though. ...

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

tough row to hoe, boys. You need have big reserves to do make it work. You'll probably go broke.

10. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

When animals dream.......

[​IMG]

And then there are these..............

[​IMG]

Hauxfan!

11. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

I've started several successful and unsuccessful business, and it's a pretty good idea you have, but deep-discount commodities (which shot, powder, wads are) is a tough, very low margin market, and the successful ones - think Recobs - have good prices, great customer service, and a small retail/storefront operation with varied lines (that hopefully meets overhead).

Consignment guns doesn't seem like a very swinging idea unless you'll charge owners a couple of $ a day for space rental, and I think we both know how THAT will go over.

Walmart, et al, are not your competitors, and, in fact, they will prolly refer people to you.

Bob

12. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Dr. Longshot, ( how appropriate is that name?) what you are looking for are venture capitalists. I hate to chime in with more negativity, but If there are any left I'm afraid they will run backwards from anything to do with firearms.

I bought a Nikon camera thru a group purchase set up on the usenet years ago and saved about 50% but I haven't seen that sort of thing in a long time but I don't do the usenet now either.

13. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

EE, you're right, it isn't. But it was just for 7 guys, too. And there's a limit to what folks can tie up at any one time for recreation.

We have a shipping deal through a materials supply company (via one of our shooters) that allows us to put it on their trucks relatively inexpensively.

That made it a going deal for us. Plus the fact that there seemed to be no shot in virtually the whole state of alaska and folks were running out. Since we can ship cheaply, we can do it again in 6 months. Though I'm confident I could place another 10 tons right now, today, with about two hours work.

We worked through another gentleman to secure wads, primers and powders for generally the same group of folks.

If I lived in the lower 48, I'd keep plenty of stuff around all the time. Up here, it's mostly a matter of just GETTING it.

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I have weird dreams sometimes too. Many of them involve me back in college and late for a final, and I'm naked, and I can't find the room.

15. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Pretty obvious Dr Long is on his own. You guys are just full of blessings. Hah!

16. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Gary,

Having a dream is an admirable thing, as long as it is feasable. I will offer another option to you as a suggestion only. You can take it or leave it, but maybe your dream needs to start out smaller and slower. Have you tried contacting some of the more established businesses with the proposition to be a distributor for them? That way you get their capitol to use and you can eventually work your way into an independent.

For example, take a look at Widener's (In Tennessee) website at http://www.wideners.com/index.cfm.

The front page of the website makes the statement that they are 18 days behind in filling orders. To me, that means they are so busy filling orders that they can't keep up. They've got to be losing business because of that. You could offer a distributor warehouse that will take care of their shipping for them. They store the components at your warehouse and you do all the work. All they do is take the orders. Give it some thought, it's and idea only...

Kevin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.