1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I hate red squirrels

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by drh08, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drh08

drh08 TS Member

Darn things are in my house. I have had to rewire my kitchen already. Called an exterminator and he set 2 traps. Darn things ignored the traps. I setup a mind field of 15 sticky rat traps and caught one of the expensive house guests. Exterminator came back, picked up his traps and congradulated me on my catch. It's not the only one, heard another one today and the wife wouldn't let me go at it with a shot gun in the walls. I can fix the walls for less than these distructive rodents are costing me. Setup another mine field for this one, 30 traps, he got caught in one but managed to pull himself free. GREAT now he is wise to sticky traps!!!!. Now I am trying to figure out how to catch a hairless red squirrel that won't go near traps, probably not go near sticky traps anymore either. He hates peanut butter, won't eat anything I put out, or I would lace it with poisen.

Did I mention I paid the exterminator $200.00 to tell me how cool it was I caught 1 myself????

If I paid for someone to fix the electricity and included the destroyed things those things have eaten I would be into this for over $1000.00 already.

Why the neighbors got mad when I caught the first one, put it in a bucked, punched holes in the bucked and set it outside is beyond me. He lived almost 2 days in 0 degree weather that way, I was impressed.

I would cut down every tree on my property except I DON'T HAVE ANY!!!!!!!

Sorry for the rant, but I am feeling better now, waiting for the wife to leave and pulling out the gun is my plan!!!!

So 7 1/2 or 8's knowing there is plaster between us???

2. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

Use a Havaheart life trap and peanuts. He'll go in there. Drop the whole trap in a rain barrel full of water. Get the small size squirrel trap.

3. drh08

drh08 TS Member

I have 4 of them out with corn and peanut butter in them, they have ignored them for over 1 month now. Little such and such rodents!!!!!! I will give peanuts a try, but starting to think they like porcelain more.

4. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

If you know their entrance hole, get a 110 conibear and set-up across the hole.

5. Ricky B

Ricky B TS Member

Try using chocolate as bait. Works great for mice and rats. Why not squirrels?

6. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Keep going about it the way you are. You'll get them. Find the entrance spot and repair or modify that section of your house. Don't shoot at them (not that I don't want for you to kill them that way), it probably won't kill them through drywall or plaster. Will damage more than you might think. Just settle down and you'll get them.

Whatever you do don't loose your mind like the two brothers in movie "Mouse Hunt" did.

After all is said and done, go and rent the VHS or DVD. You'll get a good laugh and you'll deserve it after your ordeal.

7. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I used to hunt and eat squirrels but now the wife and I just enjoy watching their antics. We put out sunflower seeds and corn in feeders for them. I have several friends who still hunt squirrel and I am glad that they enjoy hunting them.

I understand that they can be destructive and that you have a problem, Please remember that squirrels behave according to instinct and not intelligence and that they are not deliberately attacking your property.

Removal must be done in a humane manner. Mistreating a squirrel or any animal IMO indicates a serious character weakness. Squirrels are also game animals and a person can incur serious difficulty if game laws are violated.

My wife and I feed birds and squirrels in our back yard. It's sad when a hawk takes a squirrel or bird but the hawk also has to eat. We have a problem with cats that belong to neighbors but are "put out" to run for a while. We scare them off with a large pan and a wood spoon.

My brother in Atlanta has squirrels in his attic and he traps and releases them.

Our back yard has many trees and it is next to a common area with lots of trees. We can look out and see maybe a dozen or more squirrel nests. Maybe the squirrels are in your attic as they don't have any trees in which to nest.

Ed Ward

8. crusha

crusha TS Member

Where do you live that you still have red squirrels? Gray squirrels took care of them a long time ago around here...no red ones left.

Maybe Tron will loan you his cat.

9. Urbans

Urbans Member

Havaheart live trap & sunflower seeds.

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

buzz - You're probably thinking of 'fox' squirrels. Red squirrels are a different species. I live in Southern Illinois and, you're right the grays have pretty much driven out the larger fox squirrels. I still see one once in a while but there aren't very many left around here.

11. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Yeah, Buzz is full of it! Red squirrels are nasty AND they are carnivorous! I've always seen them mostly in pine trees.

12. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Get some large rat traps and use some twist ties to put walnut meats on the trigger. Don't release them in another area if caught live. The resident squirels will just kill them. Had some reds in the attic years ago and the haveahart just would not catch them but the rat trap did the job. Bill

13. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Put a big tomcat up there for a few hours at a time with a litter box and just give hime water...he'll provide the rest of his meal

14. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Kitty is muttering that he'll help you out for $500 a week (5 day work week), plus room and board, plus 3 squares a day, plus transportation. He also said "No dogs, no questions".

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_1737.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

15. JimBoNC

JimBoNC TS Member

"Why the neighbors got mad when I caught the first one, put it in a bucked, punched holes in the bucked and set it outside is beyond me. He lived almost 2 days in 0 degree weather that way, I was impressed."

You must be a really tough man..........JimBo

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

So what is it that kitty does on his days off?

17. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I'd take them off your hands too.

We have quite a few here in the Black Hills and at my place. I live at the city limits in the pine trees. We enjoy them immensely, and, fortunately, my home is build with exposed large beam ceilings, so they can get into an attic - I don't have one.

They have eaten into my cable TV, and fiber optic feed, but the Internet provider is good about fixing it.

I sympathizes with your plight, but would like to have the red squirrels. I'm told the reds are found in the coniferous trees, and the gray squirrels are more abundant in the deciduous trees.

Whiz

18. drh08

drh08 TS Member

Well caught him last night, peanuts you say??? He was in the trap this morning and I left him there while I decide his fate. Any idea's on what to do with him as apparently putting him in a bucket is some sort of ethical violation. I would like to mention first that these things ate my wifes wedding dress and she doesn't know we caught the second one. If you think I was mean putting him in a bucket I won't even mention her plans for the first one, Lets say she wanted to display him attached to the deck as a reminder to the other squirrels, but she was gone the weekend we got him.

19. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

If you decide to let him free , try to get him as far away from your house as possible . Grey`s will travel ar least 2 miles back to where you caught him so 3-5 miles would be better . I usually spray paint them different colors , mostly flourecent orange on greys so I can tell if they find their way home . Yellow might stand out OK . I trapped over 40 in 3 years and I only killed 1 because I didn`t have the time to take him away and he kept creeping back to the trap across the lawn onto my patio 6 times and I let him go 5 times with a swift kick each time but he still didn`t learn .

20. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

Mail the dam think COD to PETA..........Grubby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.