1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I hate missing the first target

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smsnyder, Aug 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

i know you have stories on this subject? lol

2. Forensic Guy

Forensic Guy TS Member

Don't remind me.......I've dropped the first bird than ran the next 24 at league a few weeks ago.

3. brian5003

brian5003 TS Member

Dropping the first isnt so bad...pressure is off...missing the last sucks.

4. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

I hate missing the first one, the last one or #13 (the middle one).

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

5. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

I wish I had a nickel for every time I've done it........Uncle Sam, Pa.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have a few times missed the first target and shot a 99. I have also twice shot a 99 by missing the last target. I assure you one of these is more favorable than the other.

Pat Ireland

7. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Missing the first one and then running the next 99 impresses me as better "shooting" (better self-control and poise) than running 99 and missing #100. Best Regards, Ed

8. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

This past weekend at a local shoot, shooting singles with four other guys from our club, I was shooting lead-off.

First trap I missed the 25th target for a 24. Second trap the entire squad was straight (one AA shooter, one A, the rest lower than that) thru four posts which is a rarity. Entire squad was then clean thru 24 targets, I again dropped the 25th target to spoil the perfect squad.

Shot the Central Zone singles last year at Waukesha with a guy who had never run 200 singles. Ran the first 100, and then dropped his 200th target. Probably a good thing he was out of ammo!

Scott

9. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Try missing the first three sometime!Lol. Then you'll truly know what it is like to talk to yourself.

ec90t

10. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

16 yds should be done away with shorten 16 yd prograns to 20 yds @150 birds
    Its getting to good that makes 16 obsolete ! switch to 20 yds ! everyone start tearing out the first 4 yards from the pads !

11. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Bob Finger and Big Tuna said it best.

12. Matthew Moser

Matthew Moser TS Member

To overcome missing the first bird, get a snap cap and before your squad begins, dry fire a few times and take a few deep breaths to get your nerves down. Also, it helps to watch the birds from behind your starting station before you start.

Try these tips, they work for me.

-Matthew

13. lumper

lumper TS Member

Aint there some guideline in the guideline book about mulligans?

I always thought the first bird could be declared a warm-up or practice bird.

14. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I've done this so many times I should get the Supreme DA award. It sure takes the pressure off, knowing you just missed out for a shoot-off.

I did it 2X at the Grand and then ran the next 99. Historically, I've probably done this time about 6-8 times, but I have only ONCE missed the 100th for a 99 (and I did that my first shoot out after laying off for a year)! How stupid is that - pretty!

WW

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I was shooting in a club shoot one time and dropped the first and last target in the handicap event for a stellar 98 straight ... Try that sometime and see if you don't walk away talking to yourself ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

16. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

You should not lie when the squad leader asks "Squad ready?".

17. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Missed the first target in a 500 rock marathon and broke a 498 and no, the second target missed was not number 500. Thank the Lord.

18. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

I have a bad habit (maybe a phobia) of missing the 1st target out. I have done it 4 or 5 times for 199's and several 99's. Only missed the last target once on a 100 event. Missed the first 2 and the 4th a couple of weeks ago in Reno in a handicap event. Was about ready to go home. But recovered for a 95.
    Some of us have mental problems. - Jim

P.S. I did it in Tucson a couple years ago. Thought I would be only person to miss on a 500 squad. but alas I missed the 99th as well. Did not far to well with my pride.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what targets am i missing in trap