1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

"I had to tell them"

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mr. Charles, Sep 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Charles

Mr. Charles Member

After reading the "Spoiled Rotten Kids" I had to tell this story. This is something I wouldn't normally do. I am very private about many things and by no means looking for sympathy. I just felt compelled to do so.

Well, there are a lot of good thoughts here. I would like to say that I coach two Scholastic Teams which have enrolled 51 kids in 7th and 8th grade and 40 in senior High. As far as mannerism and professionalism I would say they rank with the top. They are a very well disciplined group of kids. I could go on with lots of adjectives, but I don't feel it necessary.

Leo could tell you what they are like (as he had 2 of them in his clinic)(Logan and Zack) Phil Kiner could also, as he invited some of them to his camper at the Grand for a chat, or many others. There have been many good shooters that have won and lost with these kids and all have said they would be proud to shoot with them any time.

I will also add that Matt's (grntitan) son is one prince of a young man. It's all how you deal with them. There is good in everyone. Sometimes we just have to dig a little deeper to get it out.

We have been in the winners circle many times and you will see nothing out of place. They have been taught and are very humble.

They are also fiercely loyal to their coach. I had to do something yesterday that almost reduced me to the ground. I called them together after a shoot at Sparta to tell them I was beginning a battle with colon cancer and would be missing some practices and the next monthly shoot. The tears in there eyes almost killed me. I promised them I would be back.

In summary, there is good in all kids. We just need to bring it out of some. Don't criticize the bad, be positive and bring out the good.

"Even the dull and the ignorant, they too, have their story to tell".

The "Desiderata" by Max Ehrmann, copyrighted 1927 Latin for "Desired Things."

We must listen.

Mr. Charles

Gary Nelson

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Gary,

I wish the best for your efforts on a recovery. I hope you beat this.

The kids will remember the people that gave them guidance and support for the rest of their lives.

3. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Good Luck and God Bless, Gary.

Here's to a full and speedy recovery!

Hauxfan!

4. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

As ignorant as we really are, we still manage to understand how to help anyone through anything. Stick with the kids during your recovery, it will only make it faster.

Best of luck to you and your family, you will get through it just fine, the Lord puts nothing upon us that we cannot bare.
    You're in my prayers,
    -Shane

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Gary---Thanks so much for the kind words. I must say that proper guidance, education and an open ear and mind are the key to the youth today being what we remember as the youth of yesterday. I think what Gary was saying about all have a story to tell is often very true and usually a cry for need or help in some way or another. I think often we are so appalled by some behavior we overlook the true meaning of their actions. Gary the kids you coach have the right guidance both by you and their parents. You and they should be very proud.-----Matt

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Gary and i had this discussion last evening about his inpending battle with this dreaded disease that seems has affected everyone someway or another. I know if there is one person with a positive attitude that can give this thing hell its you Gary. I and others around you will make sure that this isn't you against this thing but us against this thing. Good luck my friend and stay in touch.----Matt

7. Mr. Charles

Mr. Charles Member

I hope this works. It seems to have worked.

mc

8. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Hi Gary.

A man like yourself that gives up his time to teach kids doesn't deserve a bout with bowel cancer but this life is full of scary events. I hope you have a speedy recovery. I still have the picture you sent me of your kids on the wall where I do my Wall Charts.

God Bless.

Terry.

9. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Hi Gary,

I was sorry to hear this news, however you can beat it! You will be in my prayers for a healing or fast recovery. Jackie B.

10. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

one target at a time, Gary... The kids are your charges, we are your friends and all stand with you.

Jack

11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Gary, I don't think that your work here is done yet!!! There are more kids out there, and the one's you have are not finished yet!!! Our thoughts and Prayers are with you through this fight. AS MIA says One target (day) at at a time. Best of Luck with Break-em all. Jeff

12. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Martin and I are hoping for your full recovery, and have put you in our prayers. The man that taught me to shoot a recurve bow is in my thoughts almost daily. The kids will never forget you.

13. TC

TC TS Member

Gary, wishing you the best. Tony

14. Mr. Charles

Mr. Charles Member

You, the people of ts.com, sure know how to lift a persons spirit, when they really need it.

llano bill, Its ironic that you say: "These kids will be with you in your trials." Three hours ago a group of the kids came over to my house (They stayed for a long time) and I had to remind them they had school tomorrow and they needed their sleep. I just cannot fathom the loyalty of these kids. The last thing I told them as they were leaving was: When I get to the hospital, I am going to run a 100 straight for you kids.

mc

15. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Gary
    As you said the people from T.S.Com knows how to lift a person im sure a lot of them has been thru a lot of similar stuff in the past and with the help of your kids that seems to be pretty loyal to you then I think you will be back to normal quicker than you ever thought.

I wanted to make a thread about you but im glad you did instead because i know you like to keep things private but i guess as this thread name reads "I had to tell them" and im glad you did because a lot more than just the kids thinks a lot of you also, you are an asset to the trapshooting world in helping the youth to do something on their on because if they win something then it was them that really done it of course a lot of coaching and praise helps along the way.
    But I know this sport is pretty expensive and maybe after the kids don't have the financial support to keep them shooting but I bet in the later years after they grow up and raise a family then they just might go back out and remember all of the old times and start shooting again and even start their own kid or grand kid trap shooting for the first time.

Anyway just want to say what goes around will always come back around and im sure in the future your name will be in a story of a dad that tells his kid or grand kid on how he got started trapshooting.

You will be in my prayers also

Craig Thweatt

16. willing

willing Member

Gary
    My thoughts are with you. I've been there twice, last time 2003. I go to the range 5 times per week. Medicine has improved so much the last few years, it will hardly slow you down.

Bill

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Best of Luck in your battle with the colon cancer, you will be in our prayers hoping for a speedy recovery ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. Mr. Charles

Mr. Charles Member

To all,

A sparkle of light in the end of the tunnel. I received the results of my CT (cat scan) by phone yesterday while at the trap field with the kids.

The results were: Clear, which would indicate that nothing else showed up else where in my body.

I am scheduled to see an Oncologist and Surgeon on Monday. I really don't care about posting this, however I cannot answer all of the e-mails and my phone has rang off the hook.

I don't know what else to say other than; You don't know how many friends you have until you really need one.

Some of the kids have been here every day after school until I make them go home.

KH, I am not going to tell anyone how big (and soft) your heart is. (LOL)

Round 0ne: Coach -1, The Big C.- 0

mc

Thanks to all for your support!

19. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Great news! Good to hear and thanks for letting us know.

Hauxfan!

20. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

That's a great start! All uphill from here on out, you're by the hard part already. You'll miss very little time with the kids. Good health and good shooting, Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.