1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I got my yardage reduction in the mail today...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wdr-NY, Jul 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wdr-NY

wdr-NY TS Member

I really don't know how I feel about this. I just started shooting last summer after a long hiatus to get married, buy a home and have my sons.

I haven't shot that well at all since starting back up... but I've come on strong the past two months.

I've logged 2900 singles, 2300 caps and 700 doubles targets since I started shooting again at last year's North East Zone shoot at Cicero. I'm a D singles shooter and my handicap average is 87 for the 1700 targets I've shot this year from the 20 yard line. My reduction puts me at the 19. I know I should be excited, but...

...over my last 900 handicap targets I've averaged exactly a 90, with a high of 93... no trophies, maybe a half dozen 25's over that span. I know I'm due to shoot a big score over the next month and I fully expect to go out and win the NYS Handicap Title on Sunday. I know it sounds ludicrous, but that is honestly how I feel.

I'm just not so sure I wanna do it from the 19 yd line.

Walker

2. 7771

7771 Active Member

I would not shoot it from the 19 because the whole point is to get yards....I would shoot it from your regular yardage....Thats how i feel about it.
    Tom

3. 7771

7771 Active Member

I would not shoot it from the 19 because the whole point is to get yards....I would shoot it from your regular yardage....Thats how i feel about it.
    Tom

4. 7771

7771 Active Member

Tom

5. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Tom, if the shooter is assigned to the 19 and takes the reduction, the 19 is his regular yardage. Can't shoot from any other yardage unless he refuses the reduction.

6. 7771

7771 Active Member

Tom

7. michael101

michael101 TS Member

I thought the point was to break all the targets, yardage is just an ego thing.

8. 7771

7771 Active Member

Tom

9. wdr-NY

wdr-NY TS Member

I'm not the least bit embarrassed about shooting from the 20 or the 19 yard line. My point is that if my handicap average over the previous 1000 targets were 90%, then I wouldn't be getting a reduction. If my understanding is correct, the 90% threshold is where the ATA computers determine whether or not to offer a reduction. You go 1,000 handicap targets without a punch and you average less than 90%, you get a reduction.

My average over the last 1000 targets is 89.8% and 90% over the last 900. I don't think its an ego thing, I'm saying the ATA is giving me the option to refuse the reduction (for whatever reason... ego, so I can keep shooting with my friends, I have a phobia of the number 1, I don't think I deserve it, etc) and I'm wondering how other folks would handle this situation.

Just a little more info... my typical handicap round goes 20,24,23,25 or something to that effect.

Walker

10. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Take the reduction. If you are shooting good handicap right now you will get punched back to 20...then 21....then 22....Get the idea? Rick.... Texas

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

That's what the handicap system is all about. Take the reduction.

12. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Walker

"If my understanding is correct, the 90% threshold is where the ATA computers determine whether or not to offer a reduction."

First point the break point that determines if you are issued in the eastern zone isn't 90% it is 89% so I would think that somewhere you haven't figured some thing correct.

BREAK POINT is the average looked at by the computer to determine
    if a reduction is warranted. Break points are different depending on
    zone of residence.

Eastern Zone: 89%

Central Zone 90%

Southern Zone 89%

Southwestern Zone 90%

Western Zone 90%

This information was collected from the ATA rulebook on page 63 under "1000 TARGET REVIEW SYSTEM SUMMARY"

Second point at this time you are shooting pretty good the reduction may be just what you need to move your caps to the next level.

The worst that can happen is you fall into that big hole in front of the 20yd line and are never seen again....LOL It is only a reduction if you take it you might reap some long term benefits if not you haven't lost anything

Bob Lawless

13. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Hey wdr by the way thanks for the shot at Elysburg!! Jerry&JoAnn Lewis

14. wdr-NY

wdr-NY TS Member

Jerry and JoAnn,
    The pleasure was all mine. Come to think of it... maybe all I need to do is slow down my drinking at the bar and then maybe I'll shoot a little better...

Hmmm... Nah!

The thing is, my pop is legendary... he's known for drinking all night and then going out and running the program the next day. So legendary, in fact, that if one is so inclined to keep up with him, and then run the program the next day, you earn an "Ostrander University" tee shirt. Trust me... I work very hard at earning mine...

...one day soon.

LOL!

Walker

15. joannl030

joannl030 Member

Oh Walker, you are too much!! See you at Cicero, until then good shooting!
    Jo Ann & Jerry

16. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

When I first started out shooting trap I did take the reduction but now I would not. I have to learn to shoot from the yardage I'm in. Don't take it and keep practicing.

17. BudLight

BudLight Member

wdr-NY, "I know I'm due to shoot a big score over the next month and I fully expect to go out and win the NYS Handicap Title on Sunday." I don't see any difference between a 100 straight handicap from the 19 or the 20 yard line!And it pays the same! And you'll get a nice punch to a yardage past the 20 for winning. Take the reduction and enjoy your state shoot. Ron

18. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

In your situation, I would refuse the reduction. You seem like you may be close to getting a punch...keep working at it from where you are (20 yds). If you get discouraged by taking the reduction, you might quit altogether...and that's no good.

IMHO.

Jef

19. shark1

shark1 Member

Take the reduction. Others tell you to refuse, but would take it themselves. Not implying to any body who commented or will comment on T'S.
    Michael Sharkey, DC

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

wdr-NY - You have to make a personal decision. None of us are qualified to make the personal decision for you. We shoot trap for fun. Shooting trap is not really about winning, it is not about breaking the most targets, it is about having the most fun. Winning or breaking a good score may be a path toward having the most fun, but personal satisfaction and enjoyment are the actual goals. Shooting well is only a way to reach these goals.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.