1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I got burnt

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sx1skeet, Apr 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sx1skeet

sx1skeet TS Member

As most of you have seen in the last few months I have sold quit a few things on hear. As I did not have a job well I did get a job so that is the good news. Well that being said today my bank call and said a check you cashed for one of your gun sales was returned. The check was for $650.00. Part of this might be my fault as I did not get it to the bank for about 3 weeks put took the guys word and sent the gun out any ways. So my ? is what should I do as he has the gun and I have a bad check from him. I will not name him tell I hear from him. If I don't hear from him in 72 hours I will post his name and all his info on hear and also report it to the police and any one else that will listen.

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

If he doesn't get back to you in an appropriate amount of time, contact the ATF. They don't take kindly to stolen guns.

3. snkypete

snkypete Member

Try to run the check through a second time. Sometimes it will be good on the
    second try.

You might try calling the bank to see if the check will clear. You could also
    have your bank call the bank the check is drawn on to see if there is now funds available.

Have you tried to contact the person that gave you the check to give him a chance to make it good?

4. sx1skeet

sx1skeet TS Member

Yes I have tryed to call him that is why I said I would not name names for 72 hr. Also The bank ran it 3 time in the last week and a half. I should not have to call his bank to find out if the funds are in there as he is the one that wrote the check.

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Tough lesson, but an important one. Hopefully you'll get your money.

-Gary

6. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

Man, I hate to see this kind of thread. We are a great group built on a handshake deal. You may not always get exactly what you expect but it is close and differences can be handled quietly. Maybe some people out there have discovered how trusting we are. I bought a TM1 last year from someone who was not a steady poster and it turned out to be a piece of junk. I ate it and learned a lesson. If you have been around for a while you know who the backbone of this disscussion group is and who is not. We have some steady and trusted buyers and sellers. If in doubt just plug their ID into search for 200 responses and see what you get. I hate to say it, Caveat Emptor. We don't need or want that proviso here. Uphold the intergrity of TSC and don't whine in public. Things tend to turn out a little different when you hear both sides. gyrine, Rich Strickland

7. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

Wow -- tough lesson learned. Next time take only US Postal Money Orders or cashiers check from large bank that you approve in advance, and make that known in advance when you post the item. This is not an unreasonable condition of doing business. Walmart also does electronic cash transfer but they are pricey.

8. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

That is exactly the attitude I am warning everyone about. If you are not willing to send out the merchandise as soon as you get the deal, or at least the personal check, don't don't buy and sell on this site. We need to restore trust. Be careful who you deal with, don't be over eager to unload something or snap up a great deal. The true purpose of this page is the exchange of information relating to trap shooting, it is not a market. gyrine

9. bernardara

bernardara TS Member

Sorry to here about your check being returned hope this fellow makes it good.
    I sold many caps with blinders to trap shooters. I sent them with invoice in self
    addressed envelope and did not have anyone that did not return payment. I found
    that trap shooters are very reliable and pay there bills. I hope this guy makes this
    check good and keeps the good reputation trap shooters have. (as far as I'am concerned
    that is).
    Bill Bernardara

10. sx1skeet

sx1skeet TS Member

Well thanks for all the help guys. I just needed to vent with some one. I just thought that it would not happen to me so from now on only postal money orders for my sales. The bad part is I only sold the stuff as I did not have a job and I have a 2 1/2 year old son that needs to eat.

11. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Sometimes funds are transfered from saving to checking and this can take time, try it again.

12. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Having held the check 3 weeks certainly does not help from the standpoint of criminal prosecution, however I would still call and talk to an investigator at the law enforcement agency that services the area where you live. They should be able to tell you what you need to do to pursue a theft by check charge or issuance of an NSF check charge. For the amount involved I would guess it could well be a felony in your state but law enforcementcan tell you that too. Don't waste anymore time. Call law enforcement tomorrow. Good luck in your pursuit.

13. sx1skeet

sx1skeet TS Member

I waited that long as that was when rent was do. I was saving it to make sure I had the money. So again if you make a deal make sure you have the money.

14. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

I would take it to a branch of his bank. If the check is drawn on a Bank of America, take it to your closest branch.

Hopefully it's not a regional bank.

Good Luck,
    TNCoach

15. nsguy

nsguy Active Member

Even if YOU call HIS bank to see if sufficient funds are in HIS account, there MAY be previously written checks that make it to the bank BEFORE the one he wrote you thus depleting HIS funds! Then you are stuck owing HIS bank the ammount of HIS bogus check! Sucks don't it? Why the hell did you sit on this check for 3 1/2 weeks? If the check writer asked you to do it then some RED FLAGS should have been raised! I sold a car 30 years ago to some kid for $300 and took $50 cash payments for 5 weeks. I kept the car and title . Thought he was OK and took a $50 check to finish things up and signed the car over to him. Guess what? Got a letter from the local Justice of the Peace that "I" was being sued by HIS bank for cashing HIS check! Only 50 bucks but in that day and age banks had to account for all their money!

16. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear you had problems with someone on here. I am Happy to hear that you are now working and things should be getting better for you in the future. I hope all works out with the basketball check. Give the buyer a chance to get back to you. He may be out of town, sick or his computer may have crashed. Best of Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

17. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

You said you called the buyer but you didn't say if you actually spoke with him/her. If you didn't actually talk to the buyer then your not trying hard enough. It usually goes one of two ways. Either there is something screwy or your going to have to get a whole lot tougher.

No one cares whether or not you shouldn't have to call the buyer's bank or not you do it. If you don't get anywhere with the bank you call the sheriff. Get tough.

18. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

Sorry to hear this sx1. I'm very happy with the barrel I bought from you. Thanks.

19. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Did the transaction go through an FFL?

20. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I agree with Rich " gyrine". I have bought & sold on here and almost every time I got the goods before they had my money or I shipped the item before they paid me. There are many good peopl,e on here and it is not hard to figure out who they are but apprently you did not do that. Be careful how and who you bash until you have done your homework, it may work out yet. If it does not, go for it and the forum will support you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.