Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I get surprised by some first targets in doubles

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  romie 
#1 ·
I feel real stupid because I can't figure out why but sometimes I say pull the target is gone.I have changed from looking under the barrel to looking over the barrel and I think I need to hold a lower gun. It only happens once in 50 rounds so I can't put my finger on it becuse I don;t know what I might have done different.Or rather didn't remember what I did different.
Help

Never happens in singles.
DA

#2 ·
Two things come to mind here, focus and concentration. Worry about the first bird first. Focus totally on that target, but don't for get to move to the second.

When you don't recall seeing the first bird is because you're too worried about the second one. You need to be reasonably speedy breaking the first target so you can get to the second while it is still rising.

I would suggest shooting any discipline you can that has muliple target presentations. This is so you get more comfortable with multiple target presentations.

ss

#3 ·
You know where the first target is coming from at every post so hold a bit to the right of that on posts 1, 2 and 3 (if you shoot the right target first) and a bit to the left of that on 4 and 5. That way the barrel won't block your view of the target and your gun will be in motion in the proper direction after you take the first target and move to the second one.

MK

#4 ·
I would tend to agree with unknown1. When the target is lost under the barrel we don't see it until it is at place in the sky instead of somewhere out of the trap house. This of course is a great way to raise your head to see that which you nmissed. The next thing you will hear is LOST.

When I was shooting doubles I was taught to look in the distance and get a land mark that I could see the first target between and then put my barrel to the left or right of it and put my barrel a little lower then the spot I would like to shoot my second target. You see the target in your vision approaching your barrel and start your move, move sidways, intercept, short track, pop it, and move over to the second bird which should be very close to the same level in the sky.

It worked well for the fellas who were advocates of the method. I was never a good doubles shooter I think my best score was a 95 or 96. Normally i shot in the middle 80's! I have seen lots of guys shoot 100's doing this method.

In Pita shooting the 1st man gets to call for a pair at each new station (if he chooses) so this method is not a perfect one for the lead off person on his first pair in ATA shooting. Jeff

#7 ·
Old cowboy or short shucker may have it. I am keeping to the right of the target and I have discovered I like a lower gun so I can see the target but I have a complete blip simetimes..I am thinking I need to look more with my left eye also.I have Leo's tape and I like what he says.
thanks

#8 ·
You didn't say if you were a 1 or 2 eye shooter. Makes a difference where you hold and how high. If you can look under the barrel, you must be a 2 eye shooter.

Watch the birds of the last 2 shooters before you and pick a tree or reference and hold there. You'll be close. No 2 targets will be at the exact same spot. Shoot as fast as YOU are able with control, not as Fast as you can.

#9 ·
I finally figured it out today I think after 300 rounds no suprises but ther is the deal that worked for me . I have been holding a lower gun and looking over the barrel I switched to looking under the barrel an just under the top barrel not the bottom.My last round I shot a 49 which I think is my best.
Picked it up on Leo's tape
Monty

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.