1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I fthe ATA had.....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ohio Bob, Jun 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

been run the way that Jack Fishburn runs the Cardinal Center and managed the way the OSTA run the state shoot.

The Dayton International Airport would be in Sparta and the home groaunds would have a real nice facility here in Ohio.

I just got back from a couple of days there. It gets better everytime Jack turns around.

Friday night they were all done shooting and had the shoot offs done by 4:30. That is what a director relayed to me.

The OSTA needs to work on their weather managment, is been kind of warm, but other than that I heard alot of good things being said.

OB

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

The "Shooter's" will eventually decide where the "Grand" is held, not the ATA.

Curt

3. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

You guys from Ohio, huh?

Hauxfan!

4. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I have been to Vandalia twice, Sparta Twice and the Ohio SS twice(08,09).....Since Vandalia is no longer an option......I am with Curt and Ohio Bob...

5. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

grnberetcj

"The "Shooter's" will eventually decide where the "Grand" is held, not the ATA."

Just out of curiosity just what "Shooter's" are you referring to????

Bob Lawless

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If the attendance keeps falling off in Sparta the shoot won't be much more than a Satelite Grand ... Sparta was supposed to be the Magic that kept the Grand American alive and well, its been on life support ever since it got moved there ... The Cardinal Center seems to be a place that would be well worth ones while to visit, Sparta never was anything and never will be anything other than a little Hooterville town out in the middle of Noplaceville, Illinois ... I been there and won't be going back ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

How about we put it the middle of Kansas then it will be about as close for anybody, everywhere.

8. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

Man, some of you guys really miss the point.

All I said was that Jack Fishburn and the OSTA do one hell of a job running a club and a program.

If the ATA had been handling everything the way the Cardinal and the OSTA did this week, they would have held the lease on the airport and the ATA would have closed a runway for more shooting and parking not the way it turned out.

I don't caree where the grand is, it could be in armadillo texas for all I care. Where it is at is secondary to the initial comment.

OB

9. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

If you don't like Sparta don't come.

We do not need you!

Get over it Vandallia OH former home of the Grand American is a MEMORY.

Ronbo

10. Clay Addict

Clay Addict Member

WPT,
    Sorry to hear that your opinion of a facility that was built for the use of theATA by a States taxpayers is so poor. You are not coming back? Were you ever there? If so was it the first year? Did you go to Vandalia the first year? How about the Cardinal Center on the first year? I just returned from the Cardinal Center and was not impressed with the "only place outside of heaven that has a good shoot". I will return to the Cardinal Center to support the sport I enjoy. I will also be at Sparta in a month having a blast. I have been to Vandalia (1966-end)and Sparta(since year 1) and if you have not been to both in their first years you should not be in such a hurry to cast poor light on a new facility that saved our organizations largest event.

Last year at the Grand I was fortunate to sit and visit with a gentleman that was at Vandalia in the very early years and he had pictures of the little trees, absence of nice facilities and him shooting. We have come a long way as an organization and should be supporting all facilities. As soon as a range is closed people come out of the woodwork complaining that it needs to be open. Why did it close? Mostly because it was not supported. Sometimes "progress" gets a range closed, but to try to influence someone to not go and support a facility is very counterproductive to the sport and the organization.

I wish you would reconsider and join in the fun at the Grand American at the World Shooting and Recreation Complex in Sparta. I would enjoy seeing you appreciating how far the State of Illinois and the ATA have come as compared to the first year.
    CA

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

CA,

I, for the most part shoot from time to time just to keep the old eyes and hands co ordinated but have lost most of the interest I had once the ATA started sleeping with the State of Illinois ... I am a former resident of the State of Illinois and have been to Sparta prior to them building the shooting facilty there ... I won't shoot there because I refuse to support the State to any degree due to their gun ownership and gun laws starting with the FOID card way back when, even though there have been some things relaxed to some degree ... I would be more apt to go out of my way to shoot at the Cardinal Center than I would Sparta because I do not care for Illinois politics in general ... Thats just the way it is ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

From what my readers tell me, there are a lot of ATA members who are torn between supporting a sport they love and the right to own and use firearms they love just as much and upon which that first love is dependent. One part of them wants to go to the Grand at Sparta and another part of them does not want an anti-gun state winding up with any of their money. It doesn't matter to them where the political dividing line is in Illinois - the state has one governor and one legislature.

It's just too bad that ATA couldn't find a suitable site in a better political climate. I'll wager that is as much of the reason for low attendance in Sparta as anything.

Probably the best thing that could happen is the Cardinal Center grows to the point where it could host the Grand, if that's physically possible, and the ATA adopts it as its homegrounds. Not that a similar facility in another state would not also work - this just happens to be one about which a lot of shooters are speaking highly.

Ed

13. shark1

shark1 Member

Millington, MD will host the GRAND. Its close to my home and that's all that I care about. (LOL) Mike Sharkey, DC

14. claycruncher

claycruncher TS Member

Ed, I find your analysis confusing when you state: "...another part of them does not want an anti-gun state winding up with any of their money." when Ohio has a democratically controlled assembly (republican senate),a dem governor and the majority voted for Obama. It would seem to me that they're giving their dollars to a state that supports the same anti-gun legislative agenda as Illinois.

15. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Claycruncher, I fear you are confusing these people with facts. ;);) lol

Hauxfan!

16. ivanhoe

claycruncher I feel you will find that what has been said by some is just the reasons they use to justify not supporting Sparta.

The motive they didn't get their way better know as sour grapes!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob Lawless

17. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

It all comes down to the "6 P Principle" which was used by the past years' BOD.

He who hesitates is lost!

Curt

18. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The politics you mentioned are true but Ohio has not been as openly anti-gun as Illinois. My own state of Pennsylvania is no different, for that matter, but we don't have FOID cards and such (Fast Eddie Rendell hasn't had enough time for that - YET).

The geographic location of the Grand is of little importance to me. I went to Vandalia to shop first and shoot second, which is why I always went during preliminary days instead of fighting the crowds of Grand Week. I know my chances of winning anything at the Grand are very slim so I never spent a lot of money trying. I do miss the shopping environment of it but the Internet brings most of those vendors right to my front door, so I honestly don't care where it is.

Ed

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

Ed- Don't forget that the modern anti gun movement was started and championed by Senator Metzenbaum from Ohio.

Pat Ireland

20. ivanhoe

Please tell us which state allows the purchase of a firearm with out a back ground check or waiting period? If you know of one then I would say that, that is a state that isn't anti gun.

The rest all fit in the former group not the later.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.