1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I fouled up....mixed power. What to do

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Longhorn, Jun 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

I accidently mixed some red dot with some green dot which was already in the hopper. The ratio was about 1/3 Red Dot to 2/3 green dot. I hate to throw out the powder and have thoughts about using about 17 grains in a one ounce load to use for practice. Any ideas????? Thoughts?????

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Better safe than sorry. Throw out the mixed powder and start fresh.

Eric

3. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Call Alliant? Load to the Red Dot recipe which has the higher pressures as I recall? Load for 2/34 dram for practice? Chemists out there?

If Alliant will dare give any info. One imagines the problem may be that pressues might not be linear, i.e., one of the other powders will catalyze the other and spike a pressure.

4. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

If it's mixed it can't be any hotter than straight Red Dot so just load it like Red Dot and use them for practices. Who knows, maybe you've stumbled onto something. If you're still worried about it, the 4th of July is just around the corner. Good luck.

5. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Sprinkle it on your flowerbeds and forget it. It is now excellent fertilizer.

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I do know a person who mixes the two all the time. He claims that he uses the red dot recipes. Myself, I would put it on my wifes roses

7. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

This has come up 100times, and all of us have done it, too.

Mix well, and load some practice bullets using Red Dot drops. You'll be fine and you're not going to make a black hole that will gobble the planet up.

Bob

8. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

If you own a Ljutic; go for it... If you shoot a K-80, start a flower garden. (LOL). AJG

9. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Disregard all the bed wetting naysayers, Goatskin has the answer.

Jim

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    LOL Be sure to tell people to "hold your beer and watch" when shooting them.

11. EE

EE Banned User Banned

You'll get answers on both ends of the spectrum, and everywhere in between. From "pour it out" which, considering the investment in that ONE hopper of powder, is not a bad suggestion, to - "load it and shoot it" which may be OK as well. It's your gun, your life, your eyes, your medical/life insurance, etc. Make your own choice, and don't post it on the internet.

Always be mindful of what Forest Gump's mama said, "stupid is as stupid does."

Hope this helps.

EE

12. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Well it would seem that the best thing to do is load it afterall goatskin, Bob says it is all right. It doesn't seem to matter that the reloading information I can find says "do not load unpublished loads" I have yet to find and published loads for mixed powder.

EE says,

"It's your gun, your life, your eyes, your medical/life insurance, etc. Make your own choice"

As much as I believe he is entitled to his own opinion. I beleive he has overlooked something. It is not JUST your life, your eyes, most of us shoot on squads with 4 other people. What about their safety every decision you make about the right thing to do with you reloads that is outside the box. Affects at least 4 other shooters that didn't make a mistake.

They have a right to the expectation that everything around them is done by the book. THINK ABOUT IT BEFORE YOU WORRY ABOUT A COUPLE OF DOLLARS. Throw it out it isn't worth how you might feel if the others here are wrong.

Bob Lawless

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

It would seem that the purveyors of logic have not visited this thread yet.

Use a Red Dot Recipe. being next to a flake of Red Dot will not make a flake of Green Dot burn any faster.

HM

14. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

listen to those above, Toss it in the flower garden. I don't want to shoot next to someone who is experimenting in reloading!!! I just cut open 120 or so rounds that were given to me and reloaded by someone else. I will reuse what I can and toss the rest. I did not want to fire some one else's reloads. I used the powder in her flower garden and will re-use the rest. The powder looked like 700X, but no way to know for sure, so I tossed it. So, all I'm saying is think about yourself and the other 4 guys, then make your choice. Break-em all. Jeff

15. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Call Alliant.

16. quartering

quartering Active Member

you're deliberating over what to do with some mixed powder worth what two beers in a sports bar would cost? pour it into a blue dot bottle and move on. good luck with it

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Quote:<i> "Use a Red Dot Recipe. being next to a flake of Red Dot will not make a flake of Green Dot burn any faster."</i>

I cannot answer for a shotgun shell, but in a high pressure rifle case, with rifle powders, yes, it can make powders burn faster. If you mixed a very slow rifle powder with a very fast rifle powder, the fast powder can cause ignition of the slow powder at a faster rate than it was designed for. This can cause a much higher pressure peak than either original powder.

18. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

OK, I've made up my mind. I've got access to a test gun.....a real one. I've loaded 5 rounds of my 2/3 Red Dot powder and 1/3 Green dot powder. The load is: Fed Top Gun hulls, WW primer, 18 gr. of the mixture, DownRange XXL wad, and an ounce of shot. Pressures and velocity will be recorded. Hopefully I'll let you know how it comes out.

19. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I once mixed some 800-X in with some 700-X. Lucky it was only one of those half pound cans. Had a nice little garden that year. :) I would not load it myself. Number one, shot is too expensive to waste it on crappy loads. Number two, you may experience unexpected results. Go ahead and call Alliant. Ask the people that made the stuff. To be on the safe side, burn it CAREFULLY in small piles or use it for fertilizer.

20. mx2k33

mx2k33 Well-Known Member

One of these days someone is going to take out a squadmate next to them....with a defective gun of course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.