1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I flinch more to cold or to old

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Caribou woodland, Mar 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caribou woodland

Caribou woodland Member

A release triger could it solve that bad habit or sould I wait until its warmer.Need all your tip and trik to correct the flinch I develop this winter.
    My idea change Citori pul for a BT releas.Salutations Pierre

2. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Pierre - can you reduce recoil by using 1 oz slow speed loads and adding weight to your gun? How well does your stock fit?

3. Caribou woodland

Caribou woodland Member

Joe I dont like 1 oz but I can say that with a big winter coat my stock could be a bit long.But how that afect the flinching.Tancks Pierre

4. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

I use a release and still catch myself pulling down on the forend with the other hand. So I don't think it helped me at all.
    It is a funny thing because I can shoot a rifle or pistol quite well, but the shotguns make me look like a novice. Really sucks...
    Just my $,02.
    DJU

5. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

If your stock doesn't fit and it hurts you when you shoot, it's a natural tendancy to flinch.

I've been told the effect of recoil is cummulative. After a certain number of poundings, you'll just flinch, so you'll want to keep the recoil as low as you can. To reduce the recoil: check gun fit, decrease charge weight, slow the speed, add weight to the gun.

Can you add some weight to your gun?

Does it bump you in the cheek or lip?

6. warren

warren Member

After attending a Kiner Clinic I discovered that my "flinch" was actually subconsciously trying to recover from my left eye taking over. It was a real revalation and I suggest that you should reconsider whether you have a flinch or that there is another problem and the flinch is only a sympton of it. In my opinion a release trigger won't help an eye problem.

warren

7. Caribou woodland

Caribou woodland Member

actually subconsciously trying to recover from my left eye taking over and did you fix it.
    Pierre

8. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

After 40 years of shooting I developed a flinch. I went out and purchased a release trigger. I did well with the release, but never felt comfortable using it. I probably did not give it long enough. One day I went back to the pull trigger and I had a friend of mine watch me shoot by myself, standing right next to me.

I had purchased a new stock just before I started to flinch. The pistol grip was cut back more than my standard stock and my friend noticed that when I would attempt to pull the trigger, only the tip of my finger was barely on the trigger. He said when I would sometimes call for the target my finger would slip off the trigger at times and my finger would be on the side of the trigger causing the gun not to fire, resulting in a flinch.

There were two possible solutions, go back to my original stock, or build up the pistol grip to get my finger closer to the trigger. I cut down the top of the pistol grip, and then built up with Velcro the inside of the grip by 1 1/16 ". My trigger finger now reaches the trigger and I pull the trigger on the first line of my trigger finger. I have now shot in excess of 5,000 targets without a flinch.
    Steve Balistreri

9. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

SS....what you described is NOT A FLINCH....No wonder so many trapshooters have so much trouble, with shooting.

10. Caribou woodland

Caribou woodland Member

221 yeap tink that its a finger/triger bad habit.
    Pierre

11. warren

warren Member

Pierre: I'm working on it by wearing a patch over my left eye for a couple of hours in the evening, but the most effective is realising what is happening and concentrating on it when I shoot. They call it crossfiring and apparently the older you get the more apt it will become a problem. I'm 78 and my shooting has slowly gotten worse because of the flinch I developed. I finally attended a clinic where they vidioed my shooting and proved to me my left eye was taking over. I have no way of knowing if this is your problem but it is a lot more common than most shooters realise. Good luck with your problem. There were 10 shooters at the clinic and 7 had the same problem at different degrees.

warren

12. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

Save your money ... don't waste it on a Release Trigger ... everything that has been posted I can relate to ... I push/pull the forearm ... close my eyes ... I do it all ... everybody said a Release Trigger would be a cure all ... didn't help a bit ... I am now back to a pull ... trying to get use to it ... I know it is all between our ears ... and everybody tries to come up with a idea to fix it ... but I am almost to the point of saying it is what it is ... live with it ... just shoot the target and have fun doing it

13. BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD

BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD TS Member

My personal "fix" is to put my trigger finger on the front, outside, of the trigger guard. When I call for the bird, I then put my finger on the trigger and pull. It takes my mind off flinching for some reason. I must have a mental problem, just like several people have told me...lol..Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.