1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I don't understand the dynamics of it....

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by starship, Jan 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starship

starship TS Member

Still fairly new to this whole trap shooting thing (about 5 mo). I have been following some discussions and can't seem to grasp or understand the dynamics of raising the comb height in order to get the gun to shoot higher.
    Geez, I may not even understand the discussion but I have heard folks say their gun shoots 60/40 but raised comb and now it's 70/30.
    I don't get the relationship behind this and if I'm missing the boat completely (gee that's never happened before) then just what does raising the comb accomplish???

I got a gift cert for xmas to have my gun fit by Moe Bragg (Portland Oregon) so looking forward to that. In the mean time maybe if I learn or understand some of the technical aspects of this game I might even become a better shooter (who wudda thot).

Chuck

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Get yourself a copy of Rollin's book, Stock fitting secrets. It will explain a lot.

Think about how you sight in a rifle. If you want it to shoot higher you raise the rear sight. With shotguns your eye is the rear sight. You raise the comb it raises your eye and the gun shoots higher.

Jim

3. Ron Frazier

Ron Frazier TS Member

Starship,

I've been in your shoes. I strongly suggest that you get a copy of Rollins book and read it before your stock fitting session. You'll be a lot happier with the end result if you know more about the mechanics involved. You can then be a much more informed consumer for your fitting.

Ron

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Don't worry about the comb BS till you have the rest of it right. (Eye goes up, you look lower. Nuff said.)

If your eye lines up with the beads and the gun is not messed up you can shoot it. Practice a few months before you think you have to go jacking around with adjustments.

You can get caught up in the trivia and not get the meat.

HM

5. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Chuck.....You might want to give serious consideration to Golf!

6. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    A shotgun has no rear sight. But, your eye acts as the rear sight. So you move your eye up just like a gun sight to raise the point of impact (POI). You lower your eye to lower the POI. Some combs adjust right or left. You can do this to move the POI right or left, or (more commonly) to center your eye with the rib. The comb is what you use to move your eye (your face) around to "sight" the shotgun.

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Rollins book a plus. As with many good tips from TS.com. Proper form and consistant gun mount. As I got more into it. Did some pattern work. With tips and good info here I have been able to get my gun shooting where I like it. Rollins book is great. I also found a few articles on gun fit and such doing google searches. As far as considering golf, Its the same crap. If you go get fitted to clubs with poor form and routine, you will play poor still. Some times knowing the dynamics or understanding them is not always needed. Many people still do not know why or care, that you need to hit down onto the golf ball to get it to go up? You may find when you go to get fitted. You maybe advised to take a lesson or 2 and practice for a while.

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Imagine a teeter-totter. If you raise the comb against your cheek, you're actually pushing the stock down and raising the muzzle up. That's why the POI rises. If you lower the comb against your cheek, you're raising the stock and lowering the muzzle...

Jay Spitz

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Forget all of the above, it will make you crazy. The bottom line is you want the gun to deliver the payload to what you are looking at. You look at the target, pull the trigger, and the target breaks.
    Have your gun fitted and hopefully it will shoot where you are looking and be comfortable to shoot. The alternative is to shoot alot of used guns that are for sale until you find the one that works for you and buy it. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.