1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I don't know what I'm doing - Help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1387delta, Nov 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1387delta

1387delta TS Member

Hello, I am new to the forum and to trap shooting. I have 2 shotguns. Browning 525 with 32" barrels and a Winchester 101 with 27" barrels. Which one is better for Trap, Skeet, and Sporting Clays? I was under the impression (Probably mistakenly) that the longer barrel would be better for Trap. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, Dave

2. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Browning for trap...the 101 for everything else....bear in mind, this bunch will want to get you into some fancy high end single bbl trap guns....

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Just shoot them and decide. Don't buy anything for a while. The 32" may be a better choice but it is up to you

4. 1387delta

1387delta TS Member

Thanks for the replies. I will get out there on Saturday and see how I do with the Browning (Trap).

5. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Shoot the Browning at everything but shoot the pattern board first,make sure the gun shoots where your looking. GOOD KUCK

6. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

This is a question that cannot be answered over the internet. The answer will boil down to which gun you shoot better.

Contrary to popular opinion, longer is not always better for Trap. Usually, most shooters will end up with the longer barrel gun. But, that only works if the gun fits you.

This leads to the question of, which gun fits better and how do you know? I recommend the book in the above link as a reference every shotgun shooter should have.

7. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Like said earlier... shoot the Browning for everything. The 32" 525 is incredible for sporting and is also fine for trap. I bet I see more 32" Brownings on my sporting courses than any other gun. I would not use the 101 for trap at all...but thats just me. The 101 with its short barrels has fallen out of favor for most every clay game. Would make a great hunting gun however and I bet thats the model you have anyway.

However...what Rastoff said about gun fit should be carefully considered. Gunfit trumps everything.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

What kind of chokes do the guns have? HMB

9. 1387delta

1387delta TS Member

In the Winchester, I have IC on top and Mod on the bottom.
    In the Browning, I have L. Mod on top and Mod on the bottom (The only one's I have for the Browning for now. I ordered a Full and IC).

10. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Most that I see shooting those 32's would be a lot better off with a 28". A 32" 12ga ou is a lot of gun to swing. Peer pressure ain't just for school kids. Most gun trends are social driven, so what you see others use, may not be right for you or them. Shoot whatever your comfortable with and have a blast.

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

The 32" barrels will swing smoother than shorter barrels. You may struggle a bit at first with the longer barrels, but they are the best choice. At one time 26 and 28" barrels were the choice of skeet shooters, and they will work now too, but not recommended for trap. Weight is also an asset in trap. Weight causes a smoother swing too.

Had to edit my original post. Your bottom barrel will usually give you less felt recoil, so shoot the Mod choke in the bottom barrel till you get some tighter chokes for your 525. Mod choke will give you good breaks at the 16-20 yard line, but after that tighter chokes are needed for consistant hits.

Welcome to the site.

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Just shoot some and your needs will reveal themselves.

13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Dave, get two skeet chokes and one each in IC, Mod, Imp. Mod. and Full. Then shoot your 525 untill the barrels fall off. LOL The 32 inch barrel is the most popular in both Trap and Sporting Clay, with 30 inch most popular in Skeet. Some will say a 30 inch barrel is best for all around while others will say its the 32. Mostly depends on your build, muscle tone, and personal preference and total targets of one over the others. Have fun and enjoy. The only way someone is getting my 525 is if they pry my dead cold hands from around it. Break-em all. Jeff

14. 1387delta

1387delta TS Member

Thanks Jeff...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.