1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I didn't go shoot today

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Pocatello, May 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I didn

My wife usually likes to go for a long sightseeing trip with family for Mother's Day. Last Saturday was graduation at Idaho State University where I work, and I had to be there, plus Sunday was my day to be behind the counter at the Club, so we decided to put off her trip until today. The weather turned out to be very fine today, so we decided to head north towards West Yellowstone. My wife and I, our middle son, his nine year old daughter, and his girlfriend all piled into our old Suburban ('94, 241K miles) about 9 AM and hit the road. The first place we decided to stop was the site of the Teton Dam disaster NE of Rexburg. The earthen dam failed there back in 1976, killing over a dozen people downstream and causing millions in property damage. The failure was due to the geology at the damsite being wrong, but some local farmers are pushing to have the dam rebuilt to increase irrigation storage. Hopefully wiser heads will prevail this time.

From there we headed east towards Pierre's Hole on the west side of the Tetons (the mountain man's name for the valley on the other side of the mountains from Jackson Hole, and site of many of their rendezvous in the early years of the nineteenth century). Although it was a bit hazy, the Tetons were gorgeous as always. From Tetonia we headed north past Ashton to the Lower and Upper Mesa Falls on the Henrys Fork of the Snake River. They were quite impressive with the spring runoff in full force. A sign at the Upper Falls describes it as the largest undisturbed waterfall in the whole Columbia River Basin.

From there we continued north past Island Park and Henrys Lake to West Yellowstone, MT, where we had some great BBQ for lunch. We had originally planned to head for home, but discovered that the Park was open, so decided to drive on in. I found I was eligible for a Golden Age pass, $10 good for lifetime admission to any National Park, Wildlife Refuge, or the like. I bought it, and then we proceeded up the Madison River where we saw elk and lots of Bison along the way, some with calves so new their dried umbilical cords were still hanging. At Madison Junction we turned north towards Norris Geyser Basin, passing Gibbon Falls on the way (picture above). It also was spectacular with the heavy runoff. After a couple hours hiking around Norris we headed back for home. On the way we stopped at Big Springs, where one branch of the Henrys Fork springs full blown from the hillside. We photographed a young bull moose feeding in the spring, and observed many large trout in the crystal clear water. We arrived back home just after 9 PM.

I enjoyed the day with my family. I'll get plenty of chances to shoot, including four days at the Idaho State Shoot starting Friday, but sometimes it's nice to enjoy other things.

2. Wyogoose

Wyogoose TS Member

Sounds like a very nice ride. I like that side of the hill. Had a Great Aunt and Uncle that lived their summers in Victor. Another Uncle lives in Pocy and used to have a cabin overlooking Henry's lake. Beautifull country and great sledding in the winter. I always liked the town of West Yellowstone. I guess it kind of reminds me of Jackson 30 years ago. Never have been to the Teton Dam site but it's on the list. I remember when that went. There is an earthen dam about 75 - 80 miles from here Fontenelle on the Green River that they had some isssues with but we had a much better outcome than Teton.

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Certainly God's Country. Thanks for the visions Pocy.....Bob Dodd

4. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

It was a pleasure to read about your trip. I will try to make the Idaho State shoot in the next year or so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.