1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I.D. this S&W revolver please

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mixer, Dec 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

It's a 6 shot S&W with a 2" bbl. Marking on barrel says ".38 S & W. SPL". It has exposed hammer, ramp sight, chrome finish. Other markings are; "MCD 10-7" on inside of crane. Can't find model number on gun or a match on S & W website. S & W is closed until 1/7/08 so no info from them now.

Eric

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Fletcher,

According to the S&W website the model 10 is only available with a 4" barrel and with a blue finish. Mine is a 2" bbl with a chrome finish. Thanks for the help anyway.

Eric

3. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

fletcher is correct. I'm sure the marking is MOD 10-7, making it the Model 10 Military & Police. The 7 variation began production in 1977. Unless that's an aftermarket finish, it's nickel.

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

MTA Tom,

It clearly says MCD 10-7. It could be a nickle finish and not chrome or stainless.

Eric

5. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Sounds like a nickel model 10, I think the info on the SW web site is limited to newer guns, they definitely made 2 inch model 10's. Try www.smith-wessonforum.com for more info.

6. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Eric, I'll bet you a cup of coffee it says MOD 10-7.

The information on the S&W web site is limited to current production guns. Check the "Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, 3rd Edition" by Supica and Nahas, which is the authoritative reference for out-of-production S&W guns.

7. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

CCW1911,

Bingo, that's it but w/o the finger grips. Thanks.

MTA Tom,

I'll take that bet. Careful examination under a magnifying glass clearly shows mCd 10-7 not mOd 10-7. I'll try to take a close up pic of the marking and get it up on this thread.

Thanks to all.

Eric

8. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Eric, it's either a light strike on the "O", or the gun has been refinished (or otherwise tampered with), which oftens blurs or obliterates markings.

Since you've identified the gun for us from the picture, we know that the S&W mark would be "MOD 10-7".

9. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

MTA Tom,

Most definately not a light strike. I know for a fact that the gun has not been refinished in any way or been fired beyond the test firing at the factory. It was bought new some years ago in New Orleans by an elderly friend who never used it and didn't want it any more. Picture of the "mCd 10-7" marking will be up later.

Eric

10. PODO

PODO TS Member

mixer:
    Back in the 60's Detroit PD issued the Mod 10 - 2" bbl M&P to their Detectives - TOM

11. showdawg

showdawg TS Member

It's still a Model 10 , Regardlesss of the "MCD" markings,

Showdawg

12. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

ok, I have the pictures of the "MCD 10-7" engraving. Who can post them on here for me?

Eric

13. 100straight

100straight Member

I can post the pics. E-mail them to me soon. I'll be out of town from this afternoon through next Wednesday.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

14. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Showdawg,

No doubt it's a model 10 but there a cup of coffee bet riding on this ;-))

Eric

15. 100straight

100straight Member

Here are the pix that Eric wants you to see.

<a href="http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/malync2/?action=view&current=SSC_0346.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/malync2/?action=view&current=SSC_0345.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/malync2/?action=view&current=SSC_0344-2.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

16. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

MTA Tom,

I'll take mine black w/sugar.

Eric

17. lumper

lumper TS Member

Eric ... that is not a "C". Look really really close at it ... see in the lower right side how the swoop up is almost half way? That is a mis-stamping of an "O" and not a "C". Just to put a little more evidence into what I said take a look at how "C" is compared you what you think is a "C" ... see where the lower right swoop on the "C" stops and yours keeps going?

It is a MOD 10-7 Nickel Plated 38

18. TC

TC TS Member

The stamp used had a chip. I have had both letter and number stamps chip from time to time.

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Model 10's have been made over the years with 2", 3", 4", 5" and 6" barrels, though only the 2" and 4" are common. They have been made with a blued finish, and with nickel plating. The stainless version is the Model 64.

I see it says MCD 10-7, but the proper stamping should be MOD 10-7. This is an interesting variation. Is it really a legit marking, or an error, or a broken die? If it's a mistake, it might have some desirability among S&W collectors, but I can't imagine it being of any really enhanced value.

20. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

MOD 10-7, case closed. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

smith and wesson mcd 10-7