1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I created a new load tonight...on accident

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by famill00, Mar 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. famill00

famill00 TS Member

So I was loading up some #7.5, and decided to switch to 8's. I will be darned if when I dumped the extra 7.5 out I put them in the #8 bag. So, I now have about 5 lbs of 7.5's mixed into about 15lbs of 8's. Anyone remember those turkey loads? the 4 X 6? Well, I have a new trap load...the 7.5 X 8. I could make millions from this!!! Or I could just load it up in 1 1/8 oz loads and shoot it through a modified tube off the front line tomorrow and Sunday. Now im done rambling and will just surf the site a while.

Forrest

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    It only works if they come in a green and yellow box.

3. famill00

famill00 TS Member

The Remington boxes I put them in have the colors green and yellow...does that count?

Forrest

4. 682LINY

682LINY Member

Today is day for mistakes,,,,,,,loaded 1000 singles 1 oz loads last week,,,,switched over to caps load this week,,,bigger bushing,,difreent wads and hulls,,,,just forgot to change the charge bar to 1 1/8,,,so now I have some real hot (for me) 1 oz caps loads,,,checked the book and they are in the safe range for the componants,,,,Have to try them on sunday,,,,maybe I have the new majic load,,,loaded 800,hope so,LOL,,,

5. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

famillo

The Shot producers beat you to it many many years ago. I seriously doubt you could tell the diffrents even on a pattern board. When shot counts arn't what they are suppose to be manufactors very the shot size in a lot to maintain the correct count.

Post-2

6. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

I used to do that all the time since im from KY also then we have all heard about the KY 9's well a mixture of 5's,8's, and 7.5's will make a great load and no I didn't use the duplex shell boxes most of the time just threw them in a 5 gallon bucket and got a hand full as needed.

Foggy

7. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

A bit of useless trivia that probably everyone but me knew, I thought the Remington Duplex loads were held to the "Premier" era, but I now have an STS hull that came with the duplex load. I thought they quit long before the STS.

That will certainly give you a definate "shot string". ;^)

8. joshif

joshif TS Member

Get a mike and check any shot brand you want to. I'd bet you'll be hard pressed to find pure 7 1/2's or whatever size you measure in a batch of shot or in a shell. Your cheaper shells I find have less size control than the premium loads. Bagged shot is all across the board between brands. Again, cheaper usually means 7 1/2 to 8 1/2 in the same bag. I found this to be true 20+ years ago so it isn't a new thing. Goes to show that it isn't as critical as some people try to make it seem. I mean if you didn't check you wouldn't be the wiser and would still break good scores and smoke the targets you center,not knowing you were shooting a hodge podge of shot at the targets.Distance is the test. I think any reasonable assortment of shot sizes will work at the 16 for us mortals. 27 yds and back you better have your stuff together to break more than the next guy unless you're all shooting the same stuff,then skill counts. Unless Joe has more 7 1/2's in his hodge podge than you having more 8 1/2's in your hodge podge.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

27-M12 is correct in his description of the difference in shot size that can be found in one bag. The number stamped on the outside of a shot bag is not always a good description of the size of shot in the bag.

Size variation in one bag is greater in some brands than in others and it also varies from lot to lot of the same brand.

Pat Ireland

10. Wayne of PA

Wayne of PA Member

I’ve mixed 8 and 8 ½ together by accident one time and it worked fine. Just call it your own duplex load.

Dale

11. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

betcha the anti-abortion activists would love that thread title.

12. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

If you check the size of individual shot you will see that the size will vary enough that there are sizes for either up or down sized shot. I would not worry any about it.

13. 682LINY

682LINY Member

Have shot reclaimed shot,,,all mixed up,,,7 1/2, 8, and 9 ,,,works ok,,,and those cap loads I refered to earlyier on this thread were tried out this morning,,,,I think I will keep shooting these 1 oz loads,,,,worked just fine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.