1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I can't stand it, you guys

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Guy, Oct 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy

Guy Member

I can

I read yet another thread that has all these responses about how you guys "swing" your barrels......it's been going on for awhile, and up until now I've just figured it was the young guys talking like that.....but now....you boys are killing me!

Is it something that's being taught? Is this the new way to break targets, or has it always been this way, and I'm just slow to the table, as usual?

I think it is absolutely the wrong way to build what I call a "move" to the target....."swing" to the target??? Give me a break!! I see guys that "swing" their barrels....they can't shoot.

Let's start with this, and see where it goes.

2. neofight

neofight TS Member

I'm still a bit new to all this, so i'm not sure if i am swinging to the target or not. I've been told that one should swing to and through, but i feel like i'm simply bringing my barrel up to the target and blasting away.

I try to not think too much about what i am supposed to do and just do what feels comfortable. I feel i am doing okay at this point, shooting 94-95.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Somebody is really fish'n here. What is it your using, stink bait??

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Watch Leo or Ray or Kay. No follow through. Ricky does though.

5. Guy

Guy Member

No fishin' to it....."swing"? We've got long time posters here using the word....so what's the deal? Sell me. Make sense, and I'll buy it.....but I don't think you can.

I think that trying to build a game around your "swing" is bunk....and the concept does not help players improve their game.

6. kansasshooter

kansasshooter Member

I wouldn't think you would need a big follow through in trap. I see some guys with a huge follow through, especially on angles. And they aren't usually that good. lol. I think its probably more important to stay in your gun then really have a huge follow through, or "swing."

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Your gun and upper body should move as a single unit. This results with the end of the barrel moving both up and rotating on angle birds. Such a movement may accurately be described as a swing.

Pat Ireland

8. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Pat I always knew you were a "swinger".

Don

9. JTEA

JTEA Member

There was an old theory about "spraying" the shot like swinging a hose squirting water. Not good for the pattern; alternative to locking onto the target. Certainly a poor technique for the actual hunting of real birds.

JT

10. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

I DON'T SWING--I "SMEAR" THRU THE BIRD....................SMOKIT

11. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Pat has it right. The upper body should move as one unit. The reason for this is there is no movement in the arms causing "snap shooting". This is where the word "swing" comes from. It basically means smooth movement to the bird. The follow through will just happen naturally if you do it this way. If you follow though the bird you at least have a chance at getting good. The experienced shooters may look like they are not following through. I bet if you video taped them and watched in slow motion you would see a follow through, along with the cheek not leaving the gun stock until the bird is broken. It just is not as dramatic or long. You must follow the swing through the bird regardless, to be consistent. Jon

12. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

You should be pivoting your swing from the KNEES, w front KNEE broken, not stiff legged, this swing progresses through the hips and waist and upper body as Pat Ireland is saying.

You swing to the bird and you are sub conciously passing through the bird and pulling or releasing the trigger and target breaks.

Some shooters get to the bird and stop the swing and ALAS you are behind it.

Then there are the spot shooters that pass the bird w/Bbl and stop and SPOT shoot the bird.

Everyone has a different technique, I used to spot shoot when I was younger and shot a lot faster.

I believe I am accurate in saying that BRITT ROBINSON was a fast spot shooter
    he had one HELL of a technique and he used it well and I have never seen anyone that duplicated his TECHNIQUE.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Skeet shooters swing both ways.

14. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

99... we get it

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Watch Pap Charlie here. Looks like he's slinging the shot on the last shot. This what you mean "Pat"?

Matt

16. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Swing at the hips as Pat suggested, I don't know anybody who starts swinging from the knees.

Don

17. Guy

Guy Member

"Swing at the hips..." you guys are really puttin' it to me.....you're really going to stick to that? You swing to the bird? Cut it out.

Now I'll have to say that "move" creates a whole different image.

I want to hear one of the big guns tell me about his swing.....and his knees.....and his hips. I can't wait.

18. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

WGH, I guess you never heard of Todd Bender??? You might want to read what he says about swinging a shotgun. Pats right and I agree if your moving anything above your belly button, your moving to the target "wrong". You don't move your arms,shoulders,or any part of your upper body. This will move your eye off the barrel. This is a fact that you nor I can change. Best of Luck to all that try. Break-em all. Jeff

19. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

WGH

I'm sure some of us are wondering just how you move to the target? I move from the hips with elbows up and weight slightly over the front leg. I like to think I can shoot.

Rich in Indiana

20. Guy

Guy Member

Rich: So you don't "swing" to the target?

P&M: Your story is really a load....what will move my eye off the barrel?

You're missing my point...."swing" is a poor choice of description.....and I have seen guys that actually "swing" their barrels....they can't shoot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.