1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I Cannot Recommend Hughesnet

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Rebel Sympathy, Jan 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

If you are in a rural area and considering satellite service, I want you to know I cannot recommend hughesnet. It is okay until about 5pm. From there until about 1am you might as well be on dial-up.

In other words, the eight hours you use your computer the most, it is useless.

Maybe it is better where you live. But, I'd recommend asking around before you pay $50 per month for service as slow as dial-up. Perhaps BlueSky is better? I don't know. All I know is what I'm getting from Hughesnet. And it ain't good.... and nobody at hughesnet will do anything about it.

Mike

2. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Mike, we have Wild Blue and have friends with Hughes. They are both about the same. Wild Blue is supposed to put up another satellite but they have been saying that for some time.

Ajax

3. andybull

andybull Active Member

We pay Hughes.net over $100.00 a month in order to have faster speed and have our own static IP address. During the hours you mentioned the service sucks, when you call them a person from India, or Pakistan will answer the phone, as soon as you explain to them that the service is slow they will mention that all is well on their end and that the problem must be with our computer. A true POS service, but just a bit better than dial up.

Andy

4. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Had it in California, my place was in the foot hills east of Fresno.

What a POS, what you said, after 5 pm useless and would slow down soon after using during the day.

Call them on it and get lip service and the ususal re-boot blah blah blah to no avail.

5. andybull

andybull Active Member

Tried Verizon, the home is too large thus we would have had to spend l think over $400.00 to get a repeater. Then there's the threshold that you may exeed, plus we still needed a static IP address in order to see our surveillance cameras over the Internet. Can you say SOL?

6. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I have Verizon MiFi 4G. Truly a piece of crap. Nothing but problems. Finally I asked for a new MiFi unit. Same crap. Constantly rebooting the system and/or restarting the computer. I bought this in Wisconsin last June. Used it for 4 months in Wisconsin and now 4 months in Arkansas. The problem is the same. Hell, I'm on a first name basis with most of the Verizon technicians because I'm calling them continuously. However, at least they speak English..

7. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

I have the new motem from Hughes and am very satisfied with the service even in the evening. Maybe you need to upgrade to the new motem? It has its own satelite and is not as fast as cable but almost. The old system with old motems are the problem. IMO

Also my neighbor has an older gateway with an old 32 bit processor. Their hughes net seems twice as slow as mine, so maybe it is also the computers being used. W7 64bit will process what info it gets twice as fast.

CM

8. Claydotter

Claydotter Active Member

I was shocked at the slow speeds posted by a Hughesnet user on the Internet Speed thread.

I always thought it was much faster for what they charge.

Regards, Pete

9. esoxhunter

Here are the results of my MiFi 4G system. Ping= 118ms 0.98 download speed 0.69 upload speed.

10. esoxhunter

Purple. When it is green it means I have as usual lost internet access.

11. esoxhunter

Purple. When it is green it means I have as usual, lost internet access.

12. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

had hughesnet for several years, it sucked, finally got dsl and am more than happy, hughes was $59.99 a month, for 200 megs a day, couldn't watch much video with that, dsl is unlimited for 29.99 a month.

tony

13. Urbans

Urbans Member

I'm still on dial up, just learn to live with it.

14. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I have Wild Blue also...not good but not awful unless the weather is bad...I got the notification about the new satellite too and to change over a fee is involved...Ajax, how much was the charge to go with the upgraged modem if you don't mind me asking

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.