1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I bought the Ragu Sauce now what, MIA

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by hoot619, Nov 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoot619

hoot619 Member

Thought it would be nice at deer camp . Starts a week from today. Ken U

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

OK Ken, do you really want to WOW them??

How about fettucini Alfredo??

You need three things: First, FRESH pasta - can be bought in plastic covered styrofoam containers at the super market - go for LINGUINI or FETTUCINI - one package will cover about three/four people.

For each package of pasta you will need one stick of real butter, and about 2 cups of freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Do NOT SKIMP ON THE CHEESE - get the best stuff you can find (the really good stuff runs $20 per pound). You are better off buying the cheese in a wedge and grating it yourself.

Melt the butter (if you do a big batch you can clarify the butter - skim off the surface scum that forms and decant the liquid out of the pan leaving behind the sediment). The butter will be 'clear' hence the name.

Cook the pasta - read directions - typically it needs about three ~ five minutes in boiling water for the fresh stuff. You actually want it a bit under cooked (al dente) - think medium/rare steak.

Once drained add some of the melted butter and mix - then some cheese and mix - keep repeating until you've used up all the butter. Save some of the cheese to add on top at the table as you serve.

NOTE - there is NO cream in fettucini Alfredo.

This is a stick to the ribs, fill you up, make you go to sleep meal... a little goes a long way. Best with a DRY wine (red or white) and some bread to mop up the left over butter and cheese.

Sleep well.

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Kenny. I'll get back overnite

4. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

I like Prego better than Ragu but thats my opinion as a matter of fact that is what im cooking right now

Foggy

5. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

long as it goes wop when it hits the plate all good. Jeff

6. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Everyone knows that you need a kangaroo to properly serve Ragu, preferably one that has been slow cooked in a dutch oven over camel dung.

7. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Ok supper is done ok I didn't use the fancy spegetti just the thin stuff since I need to get rid of some of it anyway so since I was eating alone then plain spegetti is good enough for me.

I think my dog said it's good enough for her also.

Foggy

foghorn220_2008_030355.jpg

8. JACK

Spaghetti Sauce

1 32 oz Ragu “Traditional”. It is a touch sweeter than the others. (32 oz is the plastic jar/jug with the finger slots).

1 lb “93%” ground beef. Use 93 because you do not have to drain the fat.

1-2 TB of Italian seasonings

1 to 3 TB chopped garlic

1 chopped up green pepper (Rough or fine, makes no difference)

1 large onion chopped up (Rough or fine, makes no difference)

3 outside stalks of celery chopped up (Rough or fine, makes no difference)

In a 5 qt pan on top of stove;

Cook the ground beef on medium in about 2-3 TB of any oil till browned. Add in all the ingredients mentioned above. No order, just get them in the pan. Stir/mix.

While still on med heat bring the sauce to bubbling. (about 4 minutes) cover with a lid about 90% to keep from making a mess.
    At that point, turn to med low and stir every 5 minutes (for about 15 minutes) Keep covered at about 90% (lid kinda askew allowing moisture out of the pan as it wants to do). Then turn down to low (it should still be slightly bubbling) and cook for another 45 minutes. Stir (or mix around) about every 5 to 8 minutes. Cover as above. Total cooking time about 1 hour. It keeps really well in the fridge, will freeze perfectly, and because of the acid in tomatoes, It can sit out (covered) overnight without fear of spoiling. I eat some, save some for a lunch for my wife (me too) and generally freeze about 1/3rd for another day.

The recipe is simple. You can substitute more vegetables (and I do), more garlic (and I do) Italian sausage (and I do). I guess if this recipe has any true merit is that it is foolproof and can be altered at your whimsy without wrecking it. Since this is “deer camp” get a package of hot Italian sausage. Cook those up, one for each person as part of the meal. It is not necessary to drink too much, but if you do, I will understand.

And too, if you can find Barilla spaghetti noodles, they are as good as any made and better than any I have ever had.

If you need an appetizer while this stuff is in the cooking stage, do this.

1 loaf of French bread. Slice about half of it to about 3/8” thick.

Stir/mix ½ cup mayo (reg or lite) and 1 cup grated parmesan cheese and about ¼ C of dried chives (optional) and apply a 1/8” layer on each slice of bread. Put on a broiler pan and with rack at or near top position (bread should be about 4”-6” below broiler element).

Broil for about 1 minute to max of 2 minutes. Watch it constantly (door ajar) and when the cheese/mayo coating has turned golden tan pull immediately and allow to cool for about 1 minute. DO NOT try and eat it right away. It will burn your mouth. At 2 minutes it is about ready to eat and it cools quickly after that. But it makes for a good pusher of the spaghetti if you have some left. This appetizer is called “Swanson toast”.

Both of the above are effective because of the simplicity and essentially they can be altered easily to suit whatever pops into your mind as additions

And, just save the “back straps” for me. (only kidding. Not good for my gout)

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Get some Johnsonville Sweet Italian sausage. Brown in skillet( preboil if you like, I always do, prick with toothpick in several spots) and slice.

Saute some cut up green bell pepper and onion in a skillet and add the sliced sausage.

Put the marinara or Ragu or Prego or whatever in a large skillet or pan, add garlic and oregano to taste, and add the sausage, pepper, and onion. Add a can or 2 of sliced mushrooms (drained).

Add a little truffle oil to the pasta (I use bow ties but any pasta is fine), mix in after draining. It's pricey but a little goes a long way.

Pour the mix over the pasta and grate Parmesan or Asiago on top, garnish with a little Italian Parsley if you are a snob.

This is a good one.

HM

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Neumans sauce is better

11. hoot619

hoot619 Member

Thanks Jack and Halfmile too. Ken U

12. Itchyb

Itchyb TS Member

This recipe takes a good hour to make and takes most of the day to cook. It is worth it. No joke, you will never eat the crap from a jar again. Make a big batch and freeze half the bolognese. Follow the directions or it will taste like Ragu. I make this every couple months. A cheap bottle of Carlo Rossi burgundy, put half in the sauce and half in the cook.

I like to use half the burger and put in some sausage, Johsonville hot, sweet, any flavor will do.

13. JACK

Itchybob. You prove my point. You need to invest that days effort in handicap targets. I buy that Ragu on sale for about $4 a jug.

Let me state this a bit differently. I do not prepare this recipe for myself, rather for others. If it were for me, it would be very much different. The ragu is always universally accepted by guests. more pungent (and bigger flavor) sauces might be attractive to me, but I generally cook for women and youth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.