1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I bent something on my MX8 putting in trigger

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by romie, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. romie

romie Active Member

I changed out a leaf spring on my MX2000 and I must have bent something because it I can't get it to even fire.It is drop out trigger.I also changed out the bottom fireing pin.I put the trigger in wrong the first time and it was real hard to get it out. I am thinking I bent something.
    MOnty

2. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Sign seen at a gun shop:

Labor $20/hr

If you watch, $40/hr

If you tried to fix it first and then brought it here, $80/hr.

EE

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Boy you really gotta screw up bad to bend anything on a P-trigger. First see if the safety's on. Then look at the selector tree and the spring saddles. Not much else in there that you could bend by hand.

4. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Don't quite understand what do you mean "put the trigger in wrong". How? with the barrel open?

And what do you mean "it will not even fire", hammer doesn't fall? or not firing a shell?

1) Did you put in the wrong firing pin? Bottom barrel pin is the longer one.

2) Open then close the gun with trigger in, take trigger group out, see if both hammers are cocked.

3) Fire the trigger while holding the hammer against your palm, see if it'll fire, and if it fires the correct hammer first.

4) Let us know what happened. We'll go from there.

5. loop02

loop02 Member

If the trigger is not in properly and you try to close the gun, you can bend the cocking rod. The trigger housing jams the cocking rod when you close the gun, it bends the end of the rod down. I know because I was in a rush, and put the gun together in the dark and closed it. I was able to take the rod out later and straighten it.

6. td_ict_ks

td_ict_ks TS Member

Sounds like you need to set the rebound on it. With the hammer in the fired position push it forward and you will see where it hits the spring. This flat on the spring may need to be sanded so that there is enough energy in the hammer to fire yet rebound away from the firing pin.

7. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

After reading all the responses...I would take/send to a Perazzi gunsmith. Why take the chance of futher damage and more $$$$

8. romie

romie Active Member

Thanks for all your help.Something is binding and not letting the trigger function normally.I had the barrel closed when I put it back but I am not smart enough to figure out what the problem is.I am sure it can easily be solved by Doug Braker and I will be back on the road to finding out how much space there is around targets again.

thanks Monty McGee

9. loop02

loop02 Member

When you find out what it was, tell us if you would. Thanks, Keith

10. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

As LOOP02 above stated: If you don't get the trigger inserted 100%, when you cock the gun, you end up bending the cocking bar. It probably doesn't fire, because it is not cocked.

Just sold one today to a fella who had the same problem.

You can send it to me, but before you send it to ANYONE, remove the cocking bar. If it does NOT slide out easily, then you have bent it. Because of the dynamic forced involved in cocking the hammers, the cocking bar MUST be 100% operational.

Some have tried to straighten out theirs, but you need to understand that if not completely done perfectly, you run the risk of hogging-out the channel in which it slides.

WW

11. romie

romie Active Member

thanks monty

12. loop02

loop02 Member

I agree with Whiz about the straightness of the cocking bar. I guess I should have elaborated a little
    bit. I ended up making a jig to straighten it, and kept checking the straightness by sliding it on a surface plate under a dial indicator. It took awhile to get it right. Don't ruin your receiver. Keith

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.