1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I am using Titewad any others like this powder?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by striper, May 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. striper

striper Member

Seems like I am is a real minority using this. It is not promo, however I also use clays. What seems to be the reason it is not one of the favorite? Just curious. Got a great deal of the first 16 lbs shot it all up and bot 8 more lbs but maybe I should have tried something else?

2. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

I have used it and liked it a lot but when it ran out, I could not find it in quantity around my area. I had a fair amout of Nitro 100 around so that is currently what I am using. Titewad, being a VERY fined grained powder did find ways to leak around the press but not in any amount to cause me problems.

Next powder buy will be based on what is available and what it costs. Titewad is still in the "would purchase again" catagory.

3. trap906

trap906 Member

i've been using it for abou a year. it is pretty fine and will leak a little from the charge bar. don't take much to do the trick either, I been using 16.5 gr. under a windjammer wad and 1 1/8oz. shot. works good and burns clean even in a 1100!

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

smells great too.

5. 101Diamond

101Diamond TS Member

Good powder at a good price. It is very fine and I had a problem with powder migration. Didn't like the mess.

6. clydep

clydep Member

I've used it with good results for 7/8 oz, 1 oz, and 1 1/8 oz. The only problem occurs when you team it up with Fiocchi primers. Don't know why, but that combination produces some of the strangest sounds you ever heard from a shotgun. No problem with any other primer and no problem with Fiocchi primers and any other powder.

7. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I thought titewad shot great, but I was shooting a 391 at the time and it seemed like the trigger got really dirty really fast. If I was using a break open, I probably would have bought another keg. Good powder and it was a good price back then. Good Luck

8. rdf59

rdf59 Member

I bought Titewad when my supplier ran out of 700X. Titewad was $85 vs 700X at $94 (April 2009).

I have been loading it to 1200fps in STS, Estates and Wally World Federals with Nobelsport primers. Absolutely no problems and it seems softer than 700X loaded to the same speed. It also seems cleaner that 700X

9. ram2008

ram2008 TS Member

I have been using Titewad, and just bought an 8# bottle. I like the price, and it burns clean too, not like red or green dot. I load with a Mec # 26 bushing, and 1 oz. of shot which is a soft load that won't kick your but after 100 birds! Going down to 1 oz of shot also saves me some too, instead of 1 1/8. It seems that the primers don't matter; they all go bang with titewad.

10. shrek

shrek Active Member

It's my favorite 7/8 oz load powder.

11. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Not as clean and more felt recoil than Clays, but I like the price.

12. creteham

creteham Member

I've been using Titewad for 7/8 and 1 oz loads for years. Like it a lot, but it does leak past the charge bar a little.

Terry

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

striper

For loading 7/8 or 1 oz loads to reasonable velocities, Titewad is a great powder. I don't like the pressures with 1 1/8 oz in most loads, except some of the lighter ones. Same thing goes for Clays. Many comparable powders develop less pressure in comparable 1 1/8 oz loads. Titewad is also one powder that likes to "leak" from a loader.

14. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I'm loading about 16.4 gr and pusihing 1-1/16 lead dwonrange at 1200 fps. I agree it has higher pressures, but this is my all purpose load and it seems to work well. My per box cost is about $3.20 with Titewad. I temper the recoil wiht a RAD. I am currently useing Green Dot at 19.3 gr and 1-1/16 for hcp and that books downrange at 1250.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.