1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I am in need of a LAPTOP Computer!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rennerize, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

I have a daughter going to college this fall and she needs a laptop computer, anyone have a nice one that has OFFICE installed on it??
    Don

2. Straight99

Straight99 Member

Laptops don't seem to last long. One drop and you have problems. Find out what the college uses and then look around for a good sale.

3. Baber

Baber TS Member

There is a program call Thinkfree Office that is a clone of MS Office but costs about $50 also most educational institutions have a deal with a computer manufacturer and software vendor. Look at those before you do anything.

TB

4. Bob M

Bob M Member

I would agree with TBaber on checking with the college. They usually buy in bulk and have the software the kids need already installed on the computers.

Open Office is a free alternative to MS Office. I posted the website for openoffice.org. It reads MS Office files and saves back to the same format. It works and free.

5. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

Also try www.craigslist.org. It's free, and you can find deals in your area. I'm doing almost the same thing for my daughter and craigslist is a wonderful resource.

6. Finprof

Finprof TS Member

Most schools will have a purchase program with the major vendors. When you buy the computer it will already have office installed as well as a significant amount of other software such as Acrobat distiller. At my school the studnets used to get a disk set every year with software. Now it is available from teh school's web site.

If you want to check prices, I am a professor at Drexel University, my wife is a professor at RiderUniversity, and we have a daughter at Boston University, so I can get prices from all three of those places for you if you need a comparison.

7. Straight99

Straight99 Member

Arn't trapshooters great.

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

As has been mentioned already. Contact the school and get the system they recommend. Almost all colleges now have a group/bulk purchase deal set up somewhere and it will be programed for the school to ease the usability of the system.

Sometimes it will be more expensive than the $500 machine at BestBuy but look at the beni's that come with the system as well. I have heard of some colleges that require a specific this or that computer and that is about all you can use but ... well ... good luck.

9. bgf

bgf Active Member

My wife just saw an ad for Walmart regarding an Acer laptop. Price was $399 with Windows XP installed. Now that is a screaming deal. 80 gig hard drive with 512 of ram. I have owned at least 10 laps and they are tough little machines and can take quite the abuse.

I have a '98 version of Office that I would be glad to send you if you want it. I am using 2007 version now and as far as the difference...it is small.

Bernie

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

get one right before college- they have sales that are hard to beat- maybe last months model

Best Buy or Compusa

regards from Iowa

Gene

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I just put Office on my puter. My daughter said it was allowed to put on 3 different machines. This was purchased software, not bundled with the computer.

HM

12. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

Get an IBM/Lenovo as I think they are the best.

Since your daughter is a student, she should qualify for the educational version of Office and recieve a significant discount.

13. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

WOW, I am simply amazed at all of this wonderful advise and such quick response. I will look at the college website (Unv. of Cincinnati, Ohio) for their student offers. Thanks again to all you wonderful trapshooters. Oh yeah I still have shot for sale @ $27.99 for the rest of this week. I have checked about buying more but it is over $35.00 per bag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Don

14. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Get insurance if you can and get your kid one of those nird chips. Those rod things you see them on their necks. Its used to down load info off your computer. The reason if the computer is dropped or stolen you have a back up of what was on the computer so you don't loose the info that is on your computer.

15. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

Also, your typical laptop comes with a 1-year warranty. Usually you can extend that to 3 years for a $100 or so. Do it! The keyboard alone on my laptops will cost you $100 to replace if its out of warranty.

Toshiba also offers great bang-for-the-buck performance and features in a laptop. They might be a better option for a college student.

You can also buy a program called Computrace to help recover in case the laptop is stolen or lost.

16. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

This year I have had a new Dell Inspiron Dual Core Pentium Laptop, and a new Lenovo \ IBM T60 Centrino Duo Laptop. Based on my experience with both, do yourself a favor and buy her an Apple MacBook; these are superior to either of the two name brand "WinTel" machines I've been using - JoeBerg

17. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Don't buy a computer until you see what software may be required.

The school may not use Microsoft products.

Also, it may not be a problem with modern computers, but students need to hook up to the schools system without to much of a problem.

A major in some areas may require a powerfully laptop virus whats required for a liberal arts degree.

Besides schools, Dell and a few others also offer discounts for collage kids.

And, as suggested, especially for a collage kid, go with the insurance even if you think on the expensive side.

18. mallardfilmore

mallardfilmore TS Member

Go to Best Buy and get the extended warranty. With a kid dragging the thing all over, the EW will more than pay for itself in 4 years of college abuse.

19. mike31z

mike31z Member

WalMart has acer laptops on sale for less them $500.00 with tax. I was with my Friend that got one on Tue 17 Jul 07 in Prairie Du Chen WI and we just went(Cabelas) and stopped to look and he could not pass up the deal it was 1.5 MHz with 60 ghg hard drive. Each store got 20 each then there gone. <br><br> Go with open office for additional software (it's free) and compatable with MS-Office. If you learn how to use either application. The knowledge and user files are transferable from one to another. <br><br>I use-Excel a lot and some of the code I use was written on Open Office and it works just fine on MS Excel.<br><br>

Mike in Wisconsin

20. lacmalac

lacmalac TS Member

My daughter just graduated with the laptop I bought four years ago. The extended warranty paid for itself in two years.

She commented last week that if she had it to do over, she'd use a desktop unit.
    At least at her school, there were enough machines available everywhere she went. She stopped carrying hers around a couple of years ago. Check it out.

Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.