1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I am having trouble keeping Concentration

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, May 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have noticed in the last year of not being able to keep deep concentration for the whole 100 Handicap Targets.

The ones I break are pure smoke, Sunday I did break one target in 2 pieces.

The ones I missed I totally lost concentration,

Out of what I call my stupidity think of something else other than the target.

It could be anything!

My looking for the 4 Leaf clover was working when I was doing it.

I believe it is old age starting to come into it.

But it only seems to happen on the last 50 targets.

In buddy shoots 10 target events I break em all.

I need to get back into my groove I used to have.

Phil Kiner, Leo, Ricky, Randy, what do I need to do? What do you do to keep your
    concentration?

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Concentrate on doing things right, the same way every time. This will help your subconscious mind take over and take your conscious mind out of the picture. You will be in the "zone" and your conscious mind won't be able to screw things up. HMB

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

You have been shooting to much Longshot

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Just wait until your mind starts to wanders between 'pull' and 'bang'!

5. warren

warren Member

Join the crowd, you've got plenty of company including me

warren

6. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

An old friend that was always very consistent told me to not try to concentrate "all of the time". Try to switch it on for the brief moment that it is your time. The rest of the time I try to rest my mind by thinking of my dogs or a favorite fishing hole, anything kind of blank and pleasant. Good luck. Bill

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I'm having the same problem, and looking for an answer as well. No chips, smoke or a complete miss. Maybe age? I'm 65, but, in great health. I don't know what is causing the problem. If you find out, please advise......

8. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

You're probably thinking of your next thread your going to write on TS.com. I suggest you take a year off from here and completely focus on your shooting. Report back on memorial day 2013.

9. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I think this is BS trying to psych out BIG DON for the Grudge match in 3 weeks!

blade819

10. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

It is only 1.5 seconds between pull and bang and I cannot maintain concentration for that length of time. After calling pull I am surprised by the target. Got to get Obastard out of office.

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

You have to remember what concentration really is. You cannot "concentrate" - it isn't something you can force yourself to do. It's a can of Campbell's soup. In the can, it's concentrated; add water and it's not.

You want your mental resources to be concentrated on one thing, the target, and you do that by not diluting them with other thoughts. When you call for a target with nothing else on your mind - no extraneous thoughts like what's for dinner or these damned targets look a little flat - you are truly allowing your mental resources to be concentrated on the target.

My mind wanders all over the place and the only way I could break a good score was to clear those thoughts before calling to a target.

Ed

12. MMcVitty

MMcVitty Member

So for a newer shooter, how would you answer the original question?

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You are wasting your time concentrating. Mental rehersal is the key. While you are waiting for your turn to shoot, run a few target presentations through your mind, a straight away, a hard right, etc. Then you will be prepared to smoke the bird. HMB

14. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

Probably, that when shooting buddy's, you are only focused on that one target. The last half of the hundred you are thinking about your score. Betcha.

Then again, it could be like blade says. Pretty lame attempt though.

15. AveragEd

Simply do not call for a target while you're thinking about anything.

Your brain is a computer and like a computer, it can perform multiple tasks simultaneously. Also like a computer, the more tasks it performs at the same time, the slower it does each of them. Concentrate your mental faculties on the target by not allowing your brain to process multiple tasks.

Thoughts about things other than the target are nothing more than distractions. Don't you dislike distractions like the shooter next to you bending over to pick something up while you're shooting? Then why do something distracting yourself?

Ed

16. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Maybe too much of this. WILD TURKEY AMERICAN HONEY?

17. AveragEd

I just received a PM from someone asking, "Ok, I get it, Ed. But you still haven't explained how to concentrate."

Ok, one last try. Concentration is not something you do, it's something that just happens when you are thinking about nothing and an object captures your attention. When your eyes move to and focus on that object and your brain isn't thinking about anything else, you are concentrating your mental and visual resources on it.

I know I said last try but here's another. Ever been working on something tedious, really into it and someone makes a noise or speaks to you? It startles you because all your mental, visual and in this case, hearing faculties were concentrated on the object on which you were working. Can you remember anything you were thinking about when that last happened to you? Probably not because you weren't thinking about anything!

Next time someone tells you they were concentrating as hard as they could on something, ask them how that felt and how they went about doing that. Their reply will start with, "Well I, um, ah..." because they really weren't doing anything. They weren't thinking about anything but what they were doing, so concentration just happened.

Ed

18. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Average Ed I think you have hit the nail on the head. I remember when I broke that 100 in hdcp in 1970 that is what was going on.

I have the POI down Pat, every bird is smoke when I am in the zone absolutely no chips or poor breaks. I had a lot of comments about how hard I was breaking the targets when I got off the line.

I know I shot under a few straight-a-ways, and behind the right angles, right angles used to never be a problem, I used to actually break them harder.

I am getting a lot of practice on the hand pulled targets at Charlie Pidcocks
    Route 13 Gun Club, Chauncy Ohio, Charlie is slow but his wife is slower, I know the problem is in the old Push Button on the old cord, he won't use the new Cord and button he got with the new Pat Trap.

Sunday I shot the Independence 3 dram 7.5s for the first time, I got a flat of them for $49.99 At Ohio Valley, I like the Top Guns better.

I also re-installed the Shell Ejector instead of the shell lifter, so I don't have to fiddle fart picking out the shell. But I still like to put the new shell in and put the name at the top in the chamber, that is just a habit, now all I heve to do is complete the rest of the procedure.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

19. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Hypnosis, by someone who works with trapshooters. Good luck.

20. lytnin1

lytnin1 Member

Gary, maybe you are worrying too much about your light loads of reclaimed shot !!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.