1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I am going back to school

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Feb 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Years ago, after getting back from being in the Army, I went to college. After completing three years, I decided to drop out and get married, and I obtained a full time job. Not getting my college degree was possibly the biggest mistake of my life.

After retiring recently, I have now decided to go back to school part time to get my college degree. Health wise, if I can hold up, I want to get my degree. Some of my friends think that's crazy going back to school at my age, but it's something that I really want, I really need to do.

Any one on this site go back to school later in life?
    Steve Balistreri

2. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I hated every day of school so much I think i would slit my wrist if I had to go back... good luck with your endeavor...

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Go for it Steve. I admire your drive. My wife went back to school at 40 and it was tough for her to get back in the learning mindset. This may be something that keeps you going and feeling young. You are NEVER too old to learn. Good luck and keep us posted.

P.S. No i won't help with your homework.

Matt

4. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

I went back at age 41 to the same college I attended in 1968. Back then, I went to avoid going to /Nam (didn't work, I still ended up there!), and really had no clue what I wanted to do. Probably why I had a 1.4 gpa...

Fast forward 25 years. I went back and made the dean's list for 4 quarters!

Not sure how that happened, but either they've dumbed down colleges or I learned more during that 25 year absence than I thought!

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Check and see if the school has a shooting team. HMB

6. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

you end up appreciating school more as you get older vice when you are between 18-22. When you end up digging ditches in hot humid weather or cold snowy weather, or breaking your back at some minimum wage job, you would had wished you had finished school, did really well, and landed a nice cushy office job. Of course, you need to stay on top of your game throughout your career so you don't get surprised by bad economic times but still, getting a college degree now is almost like a requirement to start off on the right foot.

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

HMB--Good idea. I want a copy of that shooting team photo of all those young kids with their school Shooting Team shirts/vests on and Steve in the middle. Maybe Luther will join you and you guys can join a Frat. LOL

Matt

8. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

Steve,
    I decided while employed as a LEO to go back to school. I completed a 4 year degree and then decided to go to law school. While that was the hardest schooling I ever attended, when I retired I had my JD, passed the bar, and partnered up with another older student. It was much more rewarding than when I was younger and easy to realize if I was paying for school then I was going to work hard at it. With your story telling ability, you should take journalism classes and write a book.
    Pat Haskins

9. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

kiv-c , With gpa of 1.4 you were already on the dean's list.
    Yeah, they have dumbed down to some extent. Some final exams are on-line, multiple choice, major university.

10. senior smoke

Pat Haskins :
    I did recently write a book, not published as of yet. I have 120 stories of traveling to and from ATA shoots a cross this country with my best friend. I will send you a PM with one of my stories out of my book.
    Steve

grntitan:
    We are trying to get into a frat by the name of "Iwannathigh".
    Steve

kiv-c:
    What a great accomplishment. I am proud of you.
    Steve

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I recall my junior year in engineering school thinking that things just couldn't get any more difficult. Fast forward 25 years and I now realize that it really wasn't that tough of a gig compared to the realities of actual employment.

Good luck to you Steve, I suspect you will do just fine as your life experiences will make the new learning easier.

12. Traders

Traders Well-Known Member

Education is wasted on children. Good luck!!

13. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Lots of older people go back Steve. You are already far better educated than the vast majority you will be in school with including the profs.

14. Traders

Traders Well-Known Member

Education is wasted on children. Good luck!!

15. senior smoke

Thank you for the encouragement. When I was young I was undisciplined. Getting married, having children, makes you grow up and mature. I just want to get my degree for my own feeling of accomplishment. If I do not get my degree it will only be due to health reasons. I have been retired since 1/1/11, and I am now
    volentering a few hours a week at a local hospital. I am wheeling patients after they check in to their hospital rooms. When I have a male that I am bringing to his room, I ask if they hunt or shoot. So far I have had 1 skeet shooter and a few hunters.
    Steve

16. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Senior you have my blessing for wanting to finish what was never done when you were young. Good luck with it and I hope it doesn't deplete your shooting budget with todays cost of tuition and books. Things have changed a lot in the last forty years. What school are you going to attend? Dan

17. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Steve, my mother grew up an orphan and had to drop out of school in the 6th grade. At 66 yrs. she went back at night and got her H.S. diploma. Go for it. It's never too late to go after something that you wanted to do. Bulge.

18. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Enjoy your retirement.

19. Northsider

Northsider TS Member

Go for it Steve. I started college in 1967 and went 2 years and dropped out because I had to travel for my job. I lost that job 25 years later and went back to school. I graduated with a degree in accounting. I was a lot more focused at 45 than 18 and never looked back. Good Luck!

20. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Steve:

I enrolled in a Masters in Teaching program when I was 59 and graduated 2 years later. I was the oldest student in my class by at least 20 years. I also took a masters level geometry class (made an A-) and several science electives to meet certification requirements for math and science. I enjoyed every minute of the college experience.

Previously, I had completed an undergraduate in Accounting and an MBA. I was sick of the corporate world after a forced early retirement (with immediate pension and health care benefits) and wanted to teach.

I taught full time for about a year and then started Social Security. Full time teaching is very time demanding what with lesson planning, grading papers and calling parents. Substitute teaching pays for my trap shooting and other hobbies and is not as time consuming.

I still teach as a long term substitute and average about 100 school days a year. I like what I am doing. Every new bunch of kids is a challenge to get under control and into a learning situation.

I teach in an inner city high school and although the kids can be tough, they are also a lot of fun. Being around 15-19 year old students makes me feel young. Once you get past the immaturity and weird clothing, most students want to learn and to make something of themselves. You just have to get to know them and give them work that they can do.

If I were you I would give it a try. I still toy with the idea of going back for a PHD in history or some subject in which I have an interest. In Kentucky, seniors 65 and up get free tuition although you have to pay for books and activity fees.

Education is a life long learning process.

Ed Ward

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.