1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I am frustrated

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by coyote1234, May 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coyote1234

coyote1234 Member

For the first time in my life I have the time and resources to shoot all I want. My averages are at all time personal bests and I attribute this to shooting 500 targets a week registered and practice combined.

Now my shooting is being limited because I cannot find components in reasonable quantities and prices. 3 months ago I bought 10K domestic primers for $25/thousand. Today they are $45/thousand and I am limited to 1000 per purchase. 700-X was $15/pound and I purchased 16 pounds. Now it is $20+ per pound and I can buy 14 OUNCES per visit. This is not a request for help. This is a rant.

If you want to tell me I am wrong make sure you include sales tax, hazmat fees, shipping to Dallas, Texas and quantity limits.

2. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Your frustration is understandable, but you can look at your situation from a different viewpoint. There are scores of people who have neither the time nor the resources to engage in the sport as you can, even when components are plentiful. The optimist and the pessimist are both wrong, but one of them is much happier compared to the other. The component situation will turn around, but even when it does not (which I doubt), you're still way ahead of others, i.e. you have things many people don't. Chichay

3. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I just got back from the Missouri State Shoot, (still going on but I had to go to work,) where I was trying to buy some shot for a fellow shooter. He said if the price were just a little over a dollar a pound to buy it. The price was closer to two dollars a pound so we passed.

I don't reload, so I try to find shells on sale for a reasonable price and then buy ten to twenty flats at a time. Last Fall Bass Pro Shops had Gun Clubs on sale for $4.97 so I bought 13 flats. I now wish I had bought 40 flats. The same shells are $6.49 and they have a ten BOX limit! I am with you...this has become ridiculous! Martinpicker

4. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I hear ya. I spent the past two days looking for Green Dot powder. I never found it, but settled on Red Dot from my local guy. I am very glad I was able to buy a ton of shot last year at $30/bag.

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Sounds like you would be better off to put an order together with a few friends and try to get a deal based on quanity, thats if they can get them ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. coyote1234

coyote1234 Member

WPT, tell me where? I would pay the inflated prices and shutup if I had access to a reasonable supply. My shot cost has gone from $32/bag to $41/bag (before tax) in the last three months but the only limit is the capacity of my pickup to haul it away.

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

That would be something you would have to check on and do a search for on your own ... I do not know your circumstances, location, or amount you might be limited to buying based on your or your friends financial situation ... You just never know until you look, seek and you might find ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. steve66

steve66 TS Member

I gave up on reloading for the time being. I refuse to use buy whatever component is available for the sake of having something on hand. I now buy cases of factory Winchester when it goes on sale. To get around the 3 case limit, I take a few friends with me. It has been much more economical.

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

So, big bucks, buy new shells.

10. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

coyote, have you checked with LeadMiner who is a member on this forum?

11. dustyrcox

dustyrcox Member

Me too i have shot very little this year because of it. I cant even find ammo are reloading stuff at high prices.

12. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Buy Winchester AA if you can. Send in for the rebates,sell the emptys. Might be cheaper than reloading. N W Ohio has a reasonable supply of most components.
    Clyde

13. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

It's interesting how discussion of shells went from AA's, ST'S's and Feds. a few years ago to "what are the prices" on Wally's etc. discount shells .

14. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

The glass is always half empty or half full. If the shortage continues much longer I would suspect many more will be joining the half full category. Check powder valley for a realistic picture of just how empty the glass is. Almost without exception, powder is "out of stock."

Robert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.