1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I am considering a release Need Advice

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by RAScott, Nov 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RAScott

RAScott Member

I have been shooting for about 5 years and i have had some good scores, since then and especially last year my scores dropped and i started to flinch i believe, Pull the barrel down, draw circles around targets. scores suffered and i can still run a mid to high 90 score at times. I am concidering a release trigger, What is your experiance, and suggestions?

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Release triggers are by far the best remedy for a flinch. There are several ways to help prevent flinching (light loads, well fitting stock) but few ways to get rid of one once it is acquired.

Pat Ireland

3. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Using release trigger(s) simply confirms that you are addicted to trapshooting. Welcome aboard. It will become second nature in a short time.

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

RAScott, it sounds like you are ready for one.

Most shooters don't have to much of a problem going to them. In fact, a lot of shooters wish they had gone to them sooner.

Good Luck!

Hauxfan!

5. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

In my case a release trigger made shooting fun again!! Go for it. Good Luck.. Ed

6. BLACKDOG

BLACKDOG TS Member

Do not think twice about switching, when people make fun of people that shoot a release, I ask ?? Which is easier standing up or sitting down ?? It does some of the games a little harder, something you learn to deal with. It will make you shoot a little quicker, that might good or bad for you.

7. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Bob, Give me a shout at the club. I was there too, but I think the PFS stock has been a big help. Trouble is, you're shooting a Kolar and I've got the K-80. You're welcome to try it to see how you like the stock. That's the fun of the game, all those choices. Good luck, Bob

8. Baber

Baber TS Member

Try to avoid a release if you can. Its really a crutch or band aid for other problems. The PFS is maybe one. Stock fit might be another. Take a class with a good coach who can evaluate you shooting to see where the problem lie. Going to a RT as a last resort.

TB

9. The Kolar Kid

The Kolar Kid TS Member

I started shooting a release on my Kolar just to try it out and my scores went up 15%... Shooting in the high 90s most of the time these days. Maybe it's mental, I don't know.

KK

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

PFS-$1,100, custom stock-$2,500 and up-no guarantees they will ever stop a flinch. Release trigger-$275 and up-almost always will stop the flinch.

How deep are your pockets!!

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I wish I had gone to a release 15 years ago, instead of 8 months ago. I would have saved myself a lot of lost targets do to flinching. And flinching just gets worse over time.

12. RAScott

RAScott Member

Thanks Bob,.. maybe i'll try it. I called Kolar today and they said it is very easy to change back and fourth if needed. I actualy have a pfs that I took off a 682 when I traded for the new gun.

13. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Ollie, I don't know why but your post just cracked me up. Not making fun of it, because you are right, to a point, but it's the best laugh I've had today. I thank you very much for that. That's what makes the game fun. BTW, I just got through painting my pieces of pine to build my rib up with tomorrow to have a poor man's new K-80. LOL. Shoot well and enjoy it while we can. Bob

14. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Ollie is right on!

I recommend a lot of dry firing for about a week before you make the switch to get your brain and finger working together. Using a Wall Chart is a good way too. I can shoot a pull trigger real good but I shoot a release much better.

Terry.

15. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Don't mean to hijack....but release/pull or release/release?...and is there any disconnect of the brain during the second shot trying to set and then release?

16. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

I went to release not as a result of a flinch problem. I just noticed at my club those shooting release shot higher scores. It takes 7 muscles to pull a trigger, 2 to release it. My learning curve was 100 rounds. I would not go back. As far as the double release, do you think about pumping for the second round with a pump shotgun? Not much of a learning curve there. Just my 2 cents. gyrine

17. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

RAScott :

Ok I can shoot a pull or a release trigger but since I started shooting the release I will have to say it is the Cat's Meow!!

As for me I haven't shot a lot in the last year but I only shot trap but in your case if you shoot other games like skeet/sporting clays then let us know but as far as trap then anyone that has a release trigger probably loves it.

Fog!

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

If one flinches, a release trigger can usually help. If you change to a release, I strongly recommend a double release for shooting doubles. I did make the release/pull mistake many years ago.

I can't see any reason to go to a release trigger unless it is needed.

MrkSLC- Release triggers are not really "new technology". I know they have been around for at least 75 years, possibly longer. Also, new technology is not the same thing as good technology.

For many, getting used to a release trigger is very simple. It took me about 10 shots and I was comfortable with a release. For others, the change is very difficult. I did practice opening my gun with the trigger set a few times (this can be important) and then shot it for the first time in a registered event.

Pat Ireland

19. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

i wound up with a release trigger in one of my trades and i couldn't wait to get rid of it.

20. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Fearless, please give us shooters your ATA Singles, Doubles and Handicap averages over the last 20 or so years. This might help validate our opinion of yours!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.