1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I am Building a new range

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by leadvail, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leadvail

leadvail Member

6 months ago I decided I better start going to our gun club meetings when homes began to be built within feet next to our range which has been in the city limits for 110 years . I became involved with our local political party a year before and thought I could help to find a solution .

Well , I just got home from another rec. board / commissioner meeting and its going great . After the first meeting with the county I drew up plans on 110 acres of county land with a 20 year renewable lease . It includes a 50y,100,600 m ranges , 6 traps with room for expansion for 6 more . In exchange we will build and maintain a public pistol / rifle range next to ours . We also would own 2 acres that the well and buildings are on for security for us . Also the county will build a road to park and maintain it year round . So far all have been in favor of our plans .

Now our proposal must be in writing for the next months meeting and hopefully then on to P@Z.

Bob

2. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I'll throw out a couple questions...

1) Why run for the hills? You're probably grandfathered for noise, why not try and make your urban range work?

2) Do you own your property? If yes, what about a swap of the existing property with the county to own the 100+ acres you're thinking of developing?

After 20 years and the lease runs out, then what if they refuse to renew?

Jay Spitz

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Way to go LeadVail. I have been through the scenario of the town growing into the range area and the range was closed down. Ownership, leases etc. don't mean a thing when there is an issue of public safety. In all cases the range looses. You are on the right track and I am glad you are getting cooperation at the county level. Building a new facility gives those involved the chance to make things better than ever for all, you are doing your community a great service.

4. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

How much does it cost to have a dead attorney "look over the papers"?

5. leadvail

leadvail Member

rmy,

Leadville , Co.

spitter ,

Confrontation with homeowners would not be in our best intrest . Show me one range that remained opened in the middle of a subdivision . And just think , what if a bullet hole ever showed up in a home ?

We own 8-9 acres . The county wasn't interested in a swap . Reasons given were hazardous waste problems and that they aren't in real estate business . But we disagree on the Hazardous waste . If that was true they wouldn't be building houses there . Now we feel this is better so we can sell our land and pocket what we don't use for constrution . The county will assist us on the ground work also . They currently are building a off- road park now next to where we want to go .

If the lease cannot be renewed in 20 years then we are in the same situation as we were 6 months ago . Hopefully we can sell our buildings and 2 acres then for a profit and still have our original capital from the sale 20 years before,[compounded of course ].Also , I'll be retired then and can get more involved in the local politics .

Bob Semsack

6. leadvail

leadvail Member

Thanks wolfram .

We currently have 3 traps , 50 and 100 yard rifle and a very small clubhouse. 147 members . We need the room also so we can expand .

There are only a few 600 m. rifle ranges in the state .

With 6 traps we could have a zone qualifer .

At our last 4th of July shoot we had 80 shooters for 2 days .

7. leadvail

leadvail Member

Flalagarto,

I wish we had the money to even buy 40 acres and still construct a range .

But here that would cost 150-200,000 just for the land .And then we will have to get it zoned for a range [my wife is on that board ].

Also , we aren't moving untill alot of the work is completed .No hurry .

JBrooks,

We have one thats a member . He's alive but he will do .

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

leadvail- I congratulate you. My only suggestion is that after you get the new range built, you move to another town and begin the process over again.

Pat Ireland

9. leadvail

leadvail Member

Thanks Pat ,

But once is enough for me . Besides ,I like the deer and elk hunting here and living in the mountains .

Its a joint effort by all the members who come to the meetings and keep everything else running .

I'll be sure to keep everyone updated in the future .

Run'em

Bob

10. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Pat's right. Dump it for house lots and find another spot where Zoning isn't a problem, cause it soon will be.

11. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

Has Leadville grown that much? I'm from CO. originally. The last time I was through there it was still a sleepy little mining town. Have the Californians invaded that far up?

Good luck on the shooting rang. Keep us all informed.

Shawn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.