1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I am boycotting my local hardware store

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Ertz, Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ertz

Ertz Member

For 20 years I have lived just a couple of miles from this nice little principality named Glen Lake, Minnesota. There is a little Tru value Hardware there that my wife and I have faithfully shopped at as our first choice between the hardware giants. I walked in this afternoon to buy two light bulbs for the fixture I had just installed and on the front window is a sign in large reddish print: "Concealed weapons are not allowed". I looked at it for a minute and walked in. I found my bulbs and went to the cashier. I asked her about the sign and she called the manager. Sam showed up and he explained that one of his younger cashiers caught a glimpse of a gun someone was carrying (legally) and she frieked out so he put up the sign. I mentioned that the guy was not breaking the law, but he just hemmed an hawed. I thanked him for his time, and handed him my frequent shopper card and told him I would not be needing it anymore as I would shop elsewhere.

Sad day all around.
    Ertz

P.S. In Minnesota conceal is not required, just a good idea. I did mention that he should get a new sign or someone may be mistaken and come in wearing it on their hip.

2. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I would watch for the sign to come down.....pass the word to your shooting buddies to drop the dime to the Manager as well, if he doesn't relent then screw him and continue the boycott. We cannot let signs like become the norm....

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I really think there are better things to worry about

EX- are you both NRA members?

Now as regards to this situation-- if that was your young daughter (maybe 15) should she or her parents have to worry about distinguishing if an individual has a concealed carry permit or not? No- you dont want your daughter subjected to any significant risk.

Likewise- I am against concealed carry in schools--- the only people that should have a gun normally inside a school would be members of law enforcement, preferrably when they are on duty.

regards from Iowa

Gene

4. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Rather than putting a sign up, he should have told the dumb bitch to grow up. The guy obviously wasn't there to rob them, so there's nothing to freak about.

Good that you let the store know that you won't be shopping there anymore and why.

~Michael

5. Frank C

Gene???? What does the NRA have to do with this discussion??

As for the sign, do you REALLY think that the presence of the sign will prevent a crime/hold up?? If so.....Are YOU a member of the NRA and do you read their publications?
    What the sign HAS done is keep legally licensed folks from inside the store, so when there IS a holdup, it will be garanteed that there will be no armed citizens to SAVE the 15 year old girl!

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Jim,

What a novel idea, actually concealing your weapon....Duh!!!!!

Curt

7. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Gene,

When the shooter intent on doing harm arrives at a school that has the policy you suggest, he will be the only one armed.

That seems to have worked out well in Colorado and Virginia.

HBT

8. raymerlo

raymerlo Member

What if the person who was carrying the hand gun was in law enforcement,and exposed it while reaching for his wallet are they going to ban cops from carrying off duty when are some of you people going to wise up and get with the real world,and you want to know why we are in the straits we are in

9. Frank C

Maybe the guy was a plainclothes detective.......

10. Frank C

Eddie, peacock or a slip up while reaching for their wallet. I get a bagel each morning at a shop where some local cops go, both uniform and plain clothes, and I see guns on plainclothes....on a regular basis.

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

How about continue to carry and continue to go to the local hardware store. They won't know the difference if you carry correctly. What is the penalty going to be anyway - they might ask you to leave?

12. g7777777

If the law allows you to conceal carry in public - then you are allowed to - but private property isnt subject to that

As for schools- I dont want a parent having a bad day- discussing their childs misbehavior carrying a gun into a school--- I dont care if they have a permit or not-- and why should a teacher be subjected to have to wonder about this with an irate parent

If you cant see the reason behind that argument-- then you cant see any argument

regards from Iowa

Gene

13. hammer-time

hammer-time TS Member

"From: Eddiefromoverlook
    Email:
    Date: Wed, Jan 21, 2009 - 04:05 PM ET
    Website Address:

Plain clothes professional law enforcement officers don't peacock!"

are you kidding me. Most of the plain clothes officers carry on their hip with the gun in open view around here unless they are undercover.

14. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Great story ... a freakin chic is to blame for it all ... I bet she has something on the manager of the store and that is why he is trying to make her happy ... yep he is probably forticating with her behind his wife's back and ... well ... make her happy with a sign or he might be shot at home ... yep ... wonderful story.

15. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

So Gene,,,,based upon your situation, only parents that have bad days when they are legally carrying in the school are going to start shooting,,,,what about when the crazy comes in with the intent of mass murder or hostage taking,,,,should my kids not be protected by a teacher,,,,or they to become #4 or #10 on their shooting spree,,,,btw, just because there is a law or sign, doesn't mean the criminal obeys, i.e. drugs or smoking on school grounds.....

btw,,,,can you give a reference to where this has happened and how many instances??? Thanks. It would lend a lot of credibility to either side of the argument.

Regards from Texas,
    Jim

16. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Gene,

How many legal carriers have shot up schools in your area? By the same token how many legal people have made bad shoots in your area? Seems you may be afraid of the wrong big bad wolf.

Would you expose your daughter to a pistol club and have her wonder who is going to shoot her. A lot of concealed weapons there.

As for my 16 yr old being exposed to such, hell if it were legal she would have one on her side. How many times have you been to a club where all sorts of people are having a bad day from shooting bad or a puller robbing them of the bird, any shootings there? Sure is enough of an opportunity. Is it guns or just the law abiding general public your scared of.

If you can't see my argument you should remove your head from your anal cavity.

17. g7777777

I dont want anyone in a school with a gun except a police officer--

First I dont want the risk of a "bad day" and second I dont want the teacher subjected to having to worry that she is talking to a parent who has a gun

Third- if anyone even suspects a person has a gun in the school- I want it clear that they should call the police and lock the school down--- not to hesitate and wonder if that person is legally carrying

Delay kills

If you think your kids are in danger in the schools - then home school them--

I think kids are in danger with anyone that isnt a police officer carrying a firearm into a school

regards from Iowa

Gene

18. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

I'm glad to see nothing ever really changes ... Gene is once again in an argument over what he says ... yep ... nothing ever really changes around here.

19. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Yes Gene,,,,lock the school down and the assailant walks from classroom until they run out of bullets,,,,yes lockdown is really a "great" idea.

When did VM get enough money to hire officers??? Did they get a big grant???

Still would like to see ACTUAL cases where what you "fear" has happened,,,,scenarios are great but still an effort in futility!!!!

20. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Mrs Newbius, you never fail to astound me with your stupidity. WTF is forticating. Is something like fortifying, or forting up or? BRGII

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.