1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I Am A New Trapshooter

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by The Lady Shoots Trap, May 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Lady Shoots Trap

The Lady Shoots Trap TS Member

I have just started shooting and have a thirst to learn. Lots of nice people at the club offer advice. And I read this forum. I realize it will take lots of practice to "get it".

Some of my questions are likely naive yet this is a new game to me. Appreciate any help to enhance my understanding.

Question 1: I saw Phil Kiner's You Tube video of shot string and how the pellets scatter to hit the target. To be sure I understand....I pull the trigger, the shell stays in the barrel...are all the little bb's coming out the "shot string" ?

Question 2: I have tried both eyes open and one eye closed. I am right eye dominant. My first time out, I hit targets and have no idea how that happened. I held the barrel pointed up and soon as I saw the targets, I shot. Next time out, I hit far less. Am I supposed to look at the bead or just point the barrel until I see the target and pull the trigger?

Many more questions to follow, I'm sure. Thanks for any advice.

2. Turtle29728

Turtle29728 TS Member

I'm pretty new as well. Although I've been a hunter all my life I started shooting trap a year ago this January. There is a lot of great advice on this forum, but the essence of "good advice" remains the same; DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU.Consult a competent gun fitter and get the gun to fit like a part of your body. Then, experiment and practice, practice, practice. Once you feel comfortable, sign up for a clinic with a pro or get some individual instruction.Have Fun!

3. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Your gun follows your eyes, so keep your eyes on the target. It's kind of wierd, but it works. Remember, your eyes will lead the gun to the target.

When you drive a nail with a hammer, do you look at the hammer or the nail? The nail, of course. Same with shooting a shotgun.

Next time you're outside, pretend you're shooting birds that fly by. If you keep your eyes on the bird, when the bird changes direction, as birds often do, you'll be able to adjust your pointer finger to follow the bird because the bird is what you're looking at. You can see your pointer finger without looking directly at it (peripherally) and get right back on the bird. The bird changes direction slightly, you adjust. You'll be on the bird most of the time. This is very similar to shooting a single clay target, which is easier because it flies in a nice smooth arch.

I find it relaxing because of the concentration involved. No work, no home stuff...

Go get 'em.

4. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

Never look at the beads while shooting, just line them up, call pull, and look at the target from there on out. If your eyes follow the target, so too will your gun. When you start pulling the trigger instinctively, you know you've got it right. Remember, trap is at very least 90% mental (I would argue higher), so while you're on the line, just stare at the flowers and think as little as possible.
    -Trappy

5. samiam03

samiam03 Member

Avoid any thread that is over 10 posts. After reading ten posts and ten different opinions you will be so confused you won't know what to do.

Imperative - get your gun fitted to you.
    Hire an instructor and only listen to him/her.

Free advice is worth what you paid for it.

Strictly my opinion and I'm far from being an expert in trap/skeet/bunker/wobble/sporting/singles/doubles/handicap/ATA rules/reloads/wads/primers/powder/load recipes/politics/republicans/democrats/etc.

Sam

6. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Question 1. yes you are looking at what is referred to as the shot string.

Question 2. You focus on the target and point the barrel. If you look at the bead with both eyes open you are trying to aim and the barrel stops, so you shoot behind the target. The bead(s) are there mainly as references to check that you are mounting the gun to your shoulder consistently. That said having a glow tube front sight does help shooters who have the focus to not look at the glow bead. With the bead glowing out there, there is no need to look for it or at it and keep your focus on the target.

It is good advice to find out where you are shooting at about 30 yards. Ask the range if there is a patterning board.

Jason

7. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

close one eye for now and you will shoot better
    keep the gun pointed at the top of the traphouse and look past the trap house for the target and then let the gundo the work

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Seek out "expert" instruction from those who have developed a teaching program through years of experience and teaching. You've already heard from one very good trap teacher, Mr. Phil Kiner. If he is having a clinic close to you you should seek him out. Don't waste your time unless your teacher/mentor is a very good teacher who really knows all aspects of the sport.

9. JES

JES Member

www.sunrisevideo.com then chose trap shooting - has Harlan Campbell Jr's eye cam preview video. This was great for me to see what it should look like for hitting a target. I also purchased the system. Pull up the website and check it out.

10. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

I started shooting trap in October 2008 so I am relatively new to trapshooting as well. My experience says:

-- rent for the day, all types and brands of SGs - semi autos, o/u's, trap, sporting models of lengths and find the one that likes you the best
    -- after about 400 shells on your own, sign up and get PROFESSIONAL help from a certified instructor. It's well worth the $50 to $100.
    -- after the lesson, practice what the instructor teaches you just like any other excerice (tennis, golf, etc)
    -- for about 1 or 2 weeks after the lesson, practice with your favorite gun or rental and shoot 2 rounds (50) every day or other day
    -- videos are good as is reading about they dynamics of shooting clays but practice is better they are no substitute for shooting
    -- watch everyone as they shoot: learn to spot what they do that works for them and try it out. It may not work for you (especially if its a bad habit that they have compensated for)

My first few months, I shot 15 to 22 and was very inconsistant. After the lesson and practice, I shot 20-23. After 6 months, I shoot 23 to 25 regularly (90 to 95 in shoots).

Good luck

Rudy

11. Just-A-Shooter

Just-A-Shooter Member

Phil,
    Why? She has determined that she is right eye and hand dominate. Why start shooting one eyed. Even if it allows her to break a couple of birds, wont that just lead to a bad habit to break later?

12. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Prior to deciding two or on eye have an eye exam preferably by a doctor who understands shooting trap.

Second get your gun fit so it shoots where you are looking.

Shooting well requires a sound foundation and two essential building blocks are vision and gun.

After you are sure that your eyes and equipment are optimum for you then you should consider lessons or a clinic.

Joe

13. Phil Kiner

It is because she is female and regardless of what others may say or think there is a 98% probability that she will cross-fire to excess and need to shoot 1-eyed

It does not matter what her eye dominance is -- she will cross-fire. pk

14. Just-A-Shooter

Just-A-Shooter Member

Phil,

Thanks for your response. It sounds like you recommend all women shoot one eyed. If so does that include young female shooters (Under age 16)? Or am I putting words in your mouth?

Thanks

15. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

my dads simple birdhunting advice helps me in trap "SEE IT, KILL IT" oh yeah and follow through. gun fit, choke tubes, all come later. get used to the format of shooting get used to the handleing of the gun. Get your gun muscles in shape. For me sometimes just the simple beginings help best

http://www.remington.com/pdfs/trap_fundamentals_2004.pdf

16. The Lady Shoots Trap

Thank you, I appreciate all your time and thoughts.

I am using a loaner that does not fit but it is what I have to work with for now. I am of course gaining understanding of how to handle it, how it works/feels, and yes, discovering those shoulder muscles. Hope reigns!

Think I understand what Mr. Kiner is saying. A shooter took me aside and put a laser in the barrel and asked me to point it at a circle drawn on a wall, trying both eyes open and then each eye closed. When I closed my right (dominant) eye, I could see how I was pointing far left. An interesting lesson. He suggested scotch tape across the left lens, but don't know that's necessary.
    Waverider & Trappy, thank you for explaining the beads.

Thank you all so much. I'll be trying again this weekend!

17. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

I hope you do take the advice to try a piece of scotch tape on the left lens. A small 1/4" circle should be sufficient, just enough to block a line from the pupil to the bird and barrel's front bead; women are hard-wired between the ears differently from men. A loaner gun that doesn't fit may make this less fun, but at least you won't be tripping over vision confusion. Phil E

18. The Lady Shoots Trap

Yesterday was far better. Was surprised when a veteran shooter tried my gun 3x and missed each time. He said every gun shoots different and not everyone can shoot the same gun. True?
    I feel comfortable with the gun although again woke up with a bruise on the arm, about 2" from the pocket...with no tenderness in between in that 2", I am not sure why the bruising on the arm as it does not feel I'm holding the stock there.
    The good news - improvement in every way.

19. Phil Kiner

You should always try to shoot two eyes first

If you are female regardless of age and cannot hit regularly or are very inconsistent or in the teens or never above 20--then you should figure out which version of 1 eyed shooting will work best for you.

98% of women cannot shoot with both eyes and no tape

20. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Mr. Barker,

It's interesting that you think there are too many old men in trapshooting and then quote Fred Misseldine in another thread. I think Fred is past the old man stage.

We old men have subsidized youth shooting for quite a while now. We shoot for inflated prices to make room for youth shooters shooting for half price or even free with the right "old man" sponsor.

I think most of your comments here have been incorrect for the most part and you should learn a little respect for your elders, as well. Smarten up Checkerhead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.