1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hypothetic: DQ for using a 28ga at the GAH

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goatskin, Aug 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

OK, I know that in cases of conflict of rules/language, <i>NORMALLY</i> the flyer's language will govern ... but I found a genuine curiosity.

I have a round-body game-gun in 28ga I'd like to shoot Doubles with at Sparta. 'tis 5# light and an unadulterated joy to the eye, hand and psyche.

ATA Rules (p.50) say:
    <blockquote><i>"... Guns of smaller
    gauges are permissible in registered and tournament shooting, but
    no competitive consideration shall be given in recognition of that
    fact for handicap and classification purposes. ..."</i></blockquote>

While, on pg.19, The GAH Program states:
    <blockquote><i>"Only 12-gauge and 20-gauge shotguns may be used in the competition. ..."</i></blockquote>

Supposing ... Just.Supposing ... I was able to catch lightning in a bottle and ran 100 at doubles this coming Friday, then another 160 ... 220 .. and everybody else sits down shaking their head ... and Gary Sherrod is fixing to hand me my Ring ...

Should a complaint from a crushed, crumbled and humiliated competitor about illegal gun & shells be heard?

Since I paid my money & popped the 1st cap, I have accepted the T&C of the Program, and 'know' that 12 or 20, only, is required ... should I belly up to the bar and DQ myself?

How say you?

Bob

2. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Do you want to go to Heaven?

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    GAH event, GAH rules.

4. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Just use a 10 gauge,then ya would have an advantage, maybe.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

I believe the statement in the program is left over from the time when shells were purchased at the time of entry and then picked up at the ATA shell house. The ATA shell house only carried 12 ga and a limited supply of 20 ga shells. Each year when a new program is developed, the starting point is the old program and not all of the intended changes get recognized.

Pat Ireland

6. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Yep, Pat, I suspect all that is so.

And your answer to my posing is ...?

Bob

7. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I don't know what his posting will be but if you do that with that gun,you deserve the ring. Sure,you can shoot 1 oz of factory 7 1/2 or 8's & that would even the shot thing up,but the recoil!!! Ouch!!! I agree with Pat Ireland and what about the 16 if you can use a 20. Several decades ago it used to read 12 ga only.

8. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Would they not.... call that cheating?

9. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

<i>Would they not.... call that cheating? </i>

I'm not sure - but I can sure see how it might irritate some folks. I'm still interested in hearing opinions.

Bob

10. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Bob...I beleave the 12 and 20 ga. rule was in place because that's all the shell house supplied when we were required to shoot factory shells.

The rule now is for singles and doubles, you can shoot reloads, so I'm guessing that a 28ga. would be well within the rules for singles and doubles....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.