1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hypnosis to improve concentration and scores?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Apr 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

The program presenter at our Kiwanis lunch today is a hypnotist. His bio says he typically works "...with clients who are struggling to control habits like ... sports improvement or fears ... that negatively affect their life."

Has anyone on Trapshooters.com had any experience with hypnosis - positive OR negative? Maybe even a question or two I can use?

The presentation today is primarily entertainment. If there is anything of worth, I'll surely report back.

Larry Frieders |

Grandpa's Arms, Inc. |

340 Marshall Ave #100 | Aurora, IL 60506 |
    Monday through Friday, 9am to 5pm |
    Office: 630.859.0333 Cell: 630.992.7513 FAX: 630.859.0114

2. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

I tried it but afterward everytime I missed a target I'd starting bobbing my head and clucking like a chicken.

3. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Funny thing. Just this past weekend we went to the neighbors house for a party. The wife brought out a video of the husband from a convention they were at. There was a hypnotist there for entertainment purposes also. The husband was on stage with 10 other professionals of his occupation (Investment Broker). All I can say is the power of hypnosis is incredible. I asked him if he remembered anything of that time. He said nothing.

He was made to believe that some marbles placed on the stage were Diamonds worth millions. It was hilarious to watch him sneak out to grab them, when the hypnotist would turn his back. The crazy part was watching how he was programmed to react to this scenario by the hypnotist saying one word, that he would use in his general speaking to the audience. He would be just looking around and sometimes talking to the guy next to him. Then the word was said. Baammm! Instantly his focus was on those marbles. He then would lean over and talk to the guy next to him, telling him about the Diamonds. The guy he spoke to of course seen marbles. He would lunge out and grab them, any time the hypnotist turned his back, then put them in his shirt pocket.

I never believed in this until now.

Anyways, get ready to laugh. That is unless you are up being hypnotized. LOL

As to your question, I don't know.

4. RedScare

RedScare Member

This study is a classic!

http://bscw.rediris.es/pub/bscw.cgi/d4502369/Orne-Implications_psychotherapy_research_nature_hypnosis.pdf

I suggest spending your money on shells.

5. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

I tried it and it improved my shooting but now I stop and pee on every fireplug I see..Damn...

6. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Do some research and you will find that

1: One cannot be hypnotized against one's will.

2: One can hypnotize ones self, it's just easier using a pro.

The stage hypnotists have an entirely different agenda than someone who knows what they are doing and wants to help. As far as I'm concerned hypnotism is a form of mental management. The mind can be trained. A good hypnotist can help with that.

7. algebra1

algebra1 Member

My father is a sports hypno-therapist and yes it does work.He worked with Andy North who swam across Lake Erie in record time.He basicly trains the sub-conscious mind which then feeds the conscious mind.He says that taking someone through a workout under hypnosis is just as effective as physically working out at the gym.Alot of world class athletes have learned to perform at their best through relaxation.A good book to read is "Peak Performance Mental Training Techniques OF THE World's Greatest Athle
    tes" written by Charles A. gGarfield,Ph.D.
    If you are going to try hyponsis make sure you find someone who has a back ground in sports psychology.

8. Ron Gillatt

Ron Gillatt Member

I have never used Hypnosis for improving my shooting (maybe I should try it) but when I was 13 years old I had a tooth removed under hypnosis. I remember some of the details but no pain or discomfort. I am 68 now.

Ron in Ontario

9. Vernal Rod & Gun

Vernal Rod & Gun Active Member

Everybody is laughing at this but I went to a sports psychologist when I was 19-20 years old. Much of it was hypnosis and self hypnosis. Laugh it up if you want but it's no joke.
    Sean Hawley

10. Mapper

Mapper Member

I think it might work. I tried self-hypnosis but I am ssuch a know-it-all that I ignored myself.

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Worked for my wife. Seems she had a hangfire with a new AA and while putting the gun down it discharged. That somehow rattled her brain so much she was unable to mount the gun and call pull again. I shut her down completely and had her visit a Hypnotherapist for at least 10 sessions.

Returning to the game some months later she broke the first 100 Singles at the PA State Shoot not having shot until then. I'd say it worked as the issue disappeared!!

12. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

I remember reading about the hypnosis with you Sean Hawley in an article about you. I guess if we as trap shooters need more information than Sean Hawleys ability to score well consistantly as a top All-American and wonder "does hypnosis have merit"............well then I guess we may not be too sharp reading the facts. YMMV Scott

13. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Would be just my luck ..after the hypnosis I'd go runn 200 straight then have an uncontrollable appetite for bananas and climbing a tree for coconuts and slinging poop at my friends

14. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

CalvinMD,
    You would just be another Trapshooter that went straight and drank too much afterwards. LOL. Scott

15. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

True That Scott LOL! Wouldn't be the first time either

16. Dogbest

Dogbest Active Member

Hypnosis can be a great tool. I smoked two packs a day for over 40 years and tried everything I could think of to quit but didn't. Finally I went to a counselor in Paducah, KY who has a doctorate in counseling. He hypnotized me and I have not had a cigarette in the five years since. Not only have I not had a cigarette, I have not desired a cigarette. No self control or gimmicks were needed as I just quit smoking because there was no desire to smoke.

I firmly believe hypnosis can help a shooter if he want it to work. Most of the game is mental and that is what hypnosis deals with.

17. newbbs

newbbs Member

A friend gave me a couple of cassette tapes about 20 years ago. I was impressed with the results after listening to them half a dozen times. I'll see if I can find them, and post who made them and etc.

R Newberry

18. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

If you have a shooter missing a lot of 16 yard targets, buy a dog shocking collar and wrap the collar around his SCROTUM and then have him go out on the line and shoot, when he misses push the button on the transmitter and watch his reaction, tell him it did not fell good did it, Hell no he replied it shocked me, the guy told him don't miss anymore then, I think he quit shooting
    he had the shock level turned down low, but the Collar beeped before the shock came.

I have a friend that is a Hypnotist and a Trapshooter, he hypnotised a shooter one year at the grand and he broke em all. That is the truth!!!

I ain't wearing that collar anymore, almost fried my gonads.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.