1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hydrogen embrittlement???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by luvtrapguns, Nov 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I have often thought that it would be nice to have a gun finished in industrial hard chrome. This varies from show nickel/chrome in that it is dull gray in appearance (much like a sand blasted SS) and very hard with excellent wear resistance. There is no nickel or copper under coat or layer.
    This process (hard chrome or nickel/chrome) creates a condition called hydrogen embrittlement, wherein the base steel becomes brittle and changes it's characteristics.

Anyone have any personal experience or input on this subject? I know that there are many pistols with a nickel finish but have never seen one with nickel/chrome. I believe that these guns mey be unsafe to shoot because of the embrittlement. Would a heat treatment or other process allow the hard chrome finish to be a safe option?

All knowledgeable replies would be appreciated. This would be in regard to applying hard chrome to a trap gun.

Thanks, Marc

2. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Just as a FYI....Colt offers Hard Chromed pistols.

3. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I would say it depends on how deep the embrittlement goes into the base metal. If it's like a case hardening that's only a few thousandths deep, I doubt it would negativly affect the gun.

JMHO. Jim

4. crusha

crusha TS Member

If you're using an acid-based chemistry that presents the possibility of embrittlement, all the processor has to do is dehydrogenate the metal afterward. Couple hundred degrees (C) thermal treatment for a half-hour in an oven drives that Hydrogen off before it can coalesce into bubbles and embrittle the metal. (It has to be done promptly after the parts come out of the bath, though).

It's a standard industrial metal treatment process. If your vendor isn't aware of this, go somewhere else because they don't know what they're doing.

5. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

There was an article in Hot Rod Magazine decades ago about Hydrogen Embrittlment in chromed front axles, causing them to snap...maybe someone here with a specialty in metalurgy can comment on how this applies to firearms....

6. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Hydrogen embrittlement is removed by using an extended draw cycle at a certain temperature (I forgot the number). It also occurs in other plating processes. Any good plater will know the formula for stress relief. If you can't find one, PM me and I can point you to several.

7. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Ross,
    Thanks, this is exactly the info I was hopeful of finding. The Metaloy site seems to answer it all.

Thanks to all that responded, Marc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hydrogen embrittlement firearms parkerizered

hydrogen embrittlement in gun barrells