1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hydro Dipped K gun stock

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Jul 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I finished this up last week and now its on its way back to the owner. It came out beyond excellent, I'm very tempted to dip my own wood now! It came out a bit darker than the pattern sample chip but it looks like real wood. I hope you like it Mike!

[​IMG]

2. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

Looks really good in the picture Rich, can't wait to see how nice it look "in person". So much better than the plain stock set it started out as. Mike* (MH*)

3. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I wish I would had taken a before and after picture. It's hard to believe its the same stock.

4. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Rich, I'm kind of like you, I should have taken a picture of it before I shipped it up to you. I DO have a picture (albeit a not very good one) of the wood as it looked before it was removed from the gun when I upgraded to s new set of wood. The wood you did for me is on the gun on the far right. Mike* (MH*)
    [​IMG]

5. Guy

Guy Member

Just be careful when you cinch the stock up to the receiver.....if the side panels or the upper and lower tangs are not relieved properly, you'll find that the paint will crack.

6. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Just my personal opinion, but I am not a fan. There is no substitute for the real thing. Plus, the checkering should have been covered before finishing and revealed for ther final coat. Again, just my opinion. It looks good, but what do you say to the person that walks up and says that wood is beautiful, nice looking gun.

7. sevenwhitehorses

sevenwhitehorses TS Member

how about, Thank you.... :D

8. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Stl Flyn,

It is a great alternative without having to spend a thousand dollars or more for fancy wood and a new stock. If someone compliments a finish like the above what really has to be said?

9. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

That would be a great service for someone that has built a custom stock (ie bondo) and doesn't like the black paint look and is a little fund limited.

I like the results and it looks like nice work.

ss

10. James L Balog

James L Balog Member

It may not be original wood but I like it. I think its much better than having a painted stock or better thagn most 2x4 looking wood that come on most guns these days

I've had a few bows dipped but I haven't thought of doing it to a shotgun.maybe I will with the next one I buy.

11. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I like it. I have a PFS stock dip.

[​IMG]

12. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Thanks WGH, I will watch it when mounting my receiver to it. And I agree with James Balog and short shucker, just an alternative for a back-up butt-stock, and the wood on this gun was pretty plain, that's why I upgraded it a few years ago. Never sold this set, was always planning to build a back-up gun when I found the right receiver and fore-arm iron, and I did that just recently. Even picked up an unsingle barrel, so I look forward to seeing how this all comes together as a whole gun. I will take pictures when complete.

If someone comes up and compliments the "wood", I have no problem telling them exactly what Rich219 did for me and what it is (a film dip), maybe some people with think it is not too cool, but I don't have the unlimited funds that some seem to have, and I am just happy to have it look better than the plain wood stock it was. When I first saw some of Beretta's "Xtra Wood" guns, I thought the same thing; WOW, what a beautiful piece of wood, but then found out about the "wrap" they used, but it doesn't bother me. In fact, the Beretta 390 in my picture above has been done like that by Sportcoat Gun Finishes a few years ago and survived a tumble out of a golf cart at 74 Ranch while going up a caliche hill, without a mark on it. Mike* (MH*)

13. Mark-in-Maine

Mark-in-Maine Member

Rich219,

How much for stock and forearm on an old IAB?

thanks,
    Mark

14. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

kraiza,

The PFS looks slick with the wood pattern. I've never liked the PFS stocks with just the plain black plastic.

15. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

The PFS would be the perfect use for this. That is very nice. Maybe it is the plastic look of the finish on the stock, that I do not like. I also have seen people try to sell a gun with this on the stock. The only way I could tell the grain was not the real deal was to look under the comb. You could see that the grain pattern stopped where the ink film was cut. Also, you could see the real grain behind the ink grain that would not be there if it where real turkish walnut. Other than that the finish was standard Krieghoff satin. Like you all say above it is a great alternative for someone that likes the look of expensive wood, but is on a smaller budget. It should be disclosed when selling though. Otherwise, it is a very nice job.

16. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

What is the pricing for a utility gun?

Regards from Iowa

Gene

17. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

A stock and forearm run about $150 + return shipping.

18. Guy

Guy Member

Here's one I had done awhile back. I have since stripped the paint off because of paint cracking.....but it looked pretty decent.
    [​IMG]

19. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Rich- Do you know if custom printed patterns are available. In other words, could a design be created using your own logos or text?

20. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I've never heard of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
dipped wood grain

dipping rifle stock

hydro dip patterns
hydro dipping wood gun stocks
hydro dipping wood stock

hydro-dip gunstocks