1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hydraulics on a reloader, help me understand

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SL900LOADER, Jun 24, 2013.

1. SL900LOADER

SL900LOADER Member

Ive been a mechanic for a long time, being able to repair most machines has helped me out when getting my reloader to operate and stay running smoothly.

When im relaoding on my SL900 i occasionally have had to stop because a some shot got into the shell plate or a primer didnt load correctly.

i went to youtube and watched a Spolar hydraulic operating, (im interested in the hydraulics not the reloading machine).

Wow...two questions, When i pull my dillion i can "feel" a jamb and i stop pulling the arm...How can you feel a jamb running hydraulics?

Also, Damn that machine runs slow, i can make 2-3 by the time that relaoder made one, are you able to speed it up a little? and if so...how? when you cant feel what your doing?

2. APrice

APrice Active Member

You don't feel a whole lot when using hydraulics. Very much of a problem is going to result in something bending or breaking...or maybe just crushing a hull. It's part of the price you pay for speed. And there is absolutely no way you can exceed the reloading rate of a properly operating Spolar with hydraulics on any manual loader.

3. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

You'll hear something going wrong on a hydraulic machine (same on a electric I would imagine) The nice thing about the P/W foot control is variable speed in both forward and reverse and the unit can be reversed at anytime.

Also on the P/W hydraulic units there are three setting for speed. You move the cylinder in three locations along the bar and the end of the cylinder attachment in corresponding locations.

4. dls guide

dls guide Member

I have a Spolar and a PW, each with hydraulic power, and it is the only way to go in my opinion. I have to pay attention when reloading, but I suspect that I can stop just as fast as you can if a problem arises. There is still a "feel" even with the hydraulic setup. Also, the hydraulic system are set to stop when things are jammed, so as not to break things. I do not believe there is any power option for the Dillon yet. Maybe they are not built heavy enough or popular enough. I would guess there will be an electric power source soon. Hydraulics are dieing due to expense of equipment.

5. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I built my hydraulics for my PW...(air/hydraulic) when we sized the cylinder we figured the pressures required to run it. IF there is something wrong it wont cycle the machine. Just like when you hand operate. So you end up with a built in safety.

6. SL900LOADER

SL900LOADER Member

Are they going to have any Spolar's at the grand i can see working? i would like to see one in action in person.

When i paid $1200.00 for my Dillon SL900 at first i was a little disappointed in it's operation, after all it is a brass reloader converted...but now after running it for two years and working through the bugs, i love it, but i would also consider adding a spolar to the reloading room.

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Custom Sportswear & Optical has a Spolar Hydraulic loader for sale complete $2,000

740-504-9778 740-862-6066

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

8. likes-to-shoot

Creeker................I don't understand your post.

I have a P/W hydro and it stops on the up stroke and you have to change foot positions (toe to heel) to get it to move on the down stroke. I can go to neutral position on the foot pedal at anytime and stop the machine or reverse the stroke. The 800+ does have audible clicks on its stroke also.

9. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Plus the factory PW hydraulics has a slip clutch with determined preload doesnt it?

10. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

SL900loader,

For the price of Spolar ($1650) you can have a P/W 800 Plus with the Auto-Drive electric drive ($1700). If you want to add hydraulics to the Spolar that will set you back another $1300!

Let's see: $3000 for the Spolar hydraulic or $1700 for the P/W with the Auto-Drive? Both will make quality reloads. The P/W will do it in less space claim and a lot less noise.

Send me your shipping address for a competitive quote on the P/W.

Jim Skeel<br>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

11. likes-to-shoot

You're right the the hydro unit does not have the slip clutch.

12. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

MEC 9000H .... just let off the pedal and it reverses right away. Your hearing a problem (not feeling while pulling the handle) is what gets your attention.

Put in hull with left hand, put in wad with right hand, look for primer drop, watch for full movement of slide which drops shot & powder. Repeat!!!

13. APrice

APrice Active Member

SL, jim skeel has just done you a big favor. He's told you the most expensive way to buy a Spolar. Buy the PW and you still don't have a Spolar. Sell the like new PW outfit for $900-$1200 if you can find a buyer, so now you've added $500 to $800 to the price of the loader you should have purchased the first time. I own 3 PW's and one Spolar. Guess which one I load on 90% of the time?

14. SL900LOADER

SL900LOADER Member

OH GOD, ive started another Spolar-PW war!
    i will invest after trying some machines out, and you guys have given me some good advise to think about.

15. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

I use a mec 9000H LOVE IT! FAST, SAFE AND CHEAP! I paid under $500.00 back in the day.

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

APrice, If you think a Spolar with hydraulics is faster than a manual Dillon SL900, your must be smok'in to much crazy weed. Make 50 shells in 2 1/2 minutes on your Spolar. I can do that with no effort on my Dillon. I also have a PW800+ electric, and anybody that thinks hydraulics is better than electric is also smoking to much crazy weed.

17. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

A P/W hydraulic unit on Spolar tends to run it a tad bit too fast.

The P/W hydro on a P/W reloader does a shell in about 2.5 seconds and that rate exceeds Spolar's recommended 4 seconds per shell.

The result is not a big deal, however, but you do tend to see powder dropping as the carriage descends.

I have hydraulics on both my 800 Patriot and new Spolar.

WW