1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hydraulic loaders

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mallard2, Aug 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

How do the Hydraulic loaders work, do they work well? I have a Ponsness 800. Can it be converted?

2. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

There are many 800B/C/CVT machines out there running P/W hydraulics.

There is no real "conversion" involved. You simply remove the operating handle and install its replacement stub shaft and connect it to the hydraulic cylinder, hoses, and mounting plates

Some very early 800B machines had no stop blocks to prevent the operating handle from over-travel. I think I'd think twice about putting hydraulics on one of those. You *could" rig up some sort of stop block, however, if you are in that position.

I have used hydraulics on all my machines at the shop for probably 20 years on all of the P/W models and now have hydraulics on the Patriot. I only use hydraulics, but was involved in the development of the electric drive. The only e/d I have ever used was the very first proto-type while at the factory. I liked it.

Jim White<BR>
    P/W Distributor

3. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The P/W Auto-Drive electric is an excellent power device.

The Auto-Drive has several advantages over a hydraulic system:<BR>
    First: There is no noise<BR>
    Second: There are no leaks<BR>
    Third: The Auto-Drive is extremely reliable<BR>
    Fourth: The Auto-Drive takes very little additional space

I have been using an Auto-Drive on my 800 Plus for two years now. Absolutely zero problems!

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

skeeljc_2008_030320.jpg

4. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

I have a converted hornady 366 (bought the unit at the grand 15 years ago) it works ok and can be mounted to the P/W, the only thing I don't like about it is that you must push the pedal to make it move down then push it to make it come back up! I have a mec 9000h and I like it alot better push the pedal for down stroke and release and it returns to the top, much faster and easier to use. One note I paid $700.00 for the 366 converson and the mec loader and all was under $500.00 (15 or so years ago)

5. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I have used my hydraulic for over 10 years. I reload about 10,000 a year. I have had no problems.

6. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I've used a hyd. on my 800+ for just over a year and I think its the best thing since bubble gum.

As far as pushing on the pedal with your toe and heel to make it go up and down one great advantage is you can vary the speed with the lenght of stroke to suit your needs.

7. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I have used Hydraulics since MEC built the old Hustler. I now have a 9000 to go along with that old Hustler and would never go back to a puller. I have never had any leaks but it's more noisy than the electrics.

Ajax

8. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I have never used or been around a hydraulic unit but I will say the electric auto drive unit I used on my 800+ was absolutely a dream in the 13,000 rounds I used it. If there is a better way I would like to have someone prove it to me. I am sure there can be improvements in everything but I don't know how on this. I am going to hook the auto drive to my new Patriot Monday and I will report back on the outcome.

9. chipking

chipking TS Member

I spent many years working on hydraulic motors and drive units for airborne and ground based radar systems and didn't like the noise, heat and general mess then (they will all leak it is just a matter of when). It was a long time before I put one on my 800's or 900's and later my Spolar and they worked well (both P/W and Spolar units) but you still have all the same issues. So when P/W came out with the Auto-Drive electric drive I bought the first unit available for my Spolar with Whiz Whites help and sold my hydraulic units. After over 50,000 heat, noise, leak and trouble free loads using the Auto-Drive I am convinced that 1. it was a great move and 2. I will never own another hydraulic unit.

--- Chip King ---

10. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Is the electric drive variable speed? If not can a rheostat type control be hooked to it to make it so??

I have loaded for hours at a time and have never had any kind of heat radiating from my P/W hydraulic unit.

11. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

I have use a spolar hyd on a pw900 and now a pw2000 for over 10 years. Yes it is noisey, but as of the other issues mention it is only throwing stones. I have it mounted under my bench where it is out of the way, it has never leaked.
    I like the spolar electric foot swith better than the pw valve sys. In the future I may consider the electric pw but only when my hyd dies.

12. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Nice thing about the hydro IS the foot switch. If you forget a wad, or a primer is canted, you can instantly stop the machine AND absolutely micro-move it in either direction to resolve the problem.

They arnoisyey as Chip mentioned above. To solve that issue I have installed the motor and integral pump in an old dot-matrix printer enclosure and use its fan to keep things cool. Often times you can pick these enclosures up cheap at auctions, rummage sales, etc.

Personally, for me, I will stick with the hydro. I really like it and it has served me well for the last 20 years. I've had two, sold the first one I was using to my x-partner, and have been using the last one for over 15 years with ZERO problems. The price differential may, however, be the deciding factor making the electric-drive more palatable.

WW

13. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I load a lot of .410's on my 800 Plus with the Auto-Drive. I like the joystick hand control because I can stop the loader instantly (the Auto-Drive has an electronic brake) and back up ever so slightly to straighten out a folded wad petal and then continue loading. The joystick control makes it very easy to move the loader in small increments in either direction.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

14. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Have used a MEC Hustler Hydraulic for 25 yrs. Best $$$ I have ever spent. It leaks. So what!!! Iut a spent Fed primer tray under.catch the oil. Noisy,not really that bad,at 69 my shoulder & arm are a lot more impt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hornady hydralic loader

pw900 loader