1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hydraulic ?-Anyone have it in an enclosure?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gbatch, Apr 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

Does anyone have their hydraulic unit in an enclosure to soften or eliminate the noise? If so, I would appreciate seeing some pix. You can email them to me directly or post them here.

XXgbatch@comcast.netXX (delete the Xs)

Thx

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

2. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Check out a wide carriage dot matrix sound proof cabinet enclosure. Used for sure, as new is very expensive, so you need to shop around. They have a hinged lid, lined with sound deadening material, have fans to cool the interior, surge unit built in, glass lid to see inside, and a paper slot the hoses run out of easily.

I don't know what new would cost with the stand, but not reasonable. If you can find cheap/used, just a terrific application.

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Some hydraulic units make more noise than others. A friend had hydraulics on his Spolar and PW, both made quite a lot of noise during the loading process. I have a MEC 9000H and mine happens to be quieter in operation than either of his units for some reason. Hap

4. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

maclellan1911:
    Would a Home Depot or Lowe's have something like that?

Didreckson:
    Thanks for the idea. When you say "Wide Carriage" do you have any idea how wide that would be? Do you use one of these?

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

5. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

My loading bench is an old set of kitchen cabinets and the hydraulic unit sits on the bottom shelf of the cabinets behind closed doors. Muffles the sound but is still loud.

6. atagym

atagym TS Member

I must have a quiet one. Not enough noise to be bothersome.
    Try puting a piece of foam carpet underlayment under it to soak up noise and vibrations.

7. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

I have heard people will put the unit in another room and have the hoses going through the wall. I to have heard people take foam, carpet, blue insulation boarding and build a box to cover the unit. As someone said before put the unit on a pad blanket or something and that will help. We do not know what your layout is of your house but I'm sure you can come up with something. Another thought is to have quick detachable lines so you can move the unit outside with longer hoses and or have pipes that you can attach to going through the wall so the unit is outside.

8. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

I have a Spolar pump and it makes quite a bit of noise. I covered mine with a spare piece of carpeting and it works great. One piece around the top and one piece over the sides. It never gets hot at all. Have checked it a bunch of times, it just gets very slightly warm. I've heard of people buying a cheap styrofoam ice chest and putting it over the top, cutting a hole for the hoses, but capeting with the tufts facing in works pretty good. Spolar has longer hoses, but at a ridiculous price, that I thought of running thru the dividing wall in the center of my basement and putting the motor on the other side of the wall. I can hear it under the carpeting, but its a whole lot better.

9. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

And here I thought that all trapshooters were deaf.

Ed Yanchok

10. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

gbatch,

I do have one, but honestly have not installed it yet. I bagged an enclosure when one was rolling through my building. I just got the Spolar hydraulic last time up to my home in Reno, so have not installed the enclosure yet. I was too anxious to setup the hydraulic and load up a couple of flats.

The Spolar I am told is a bit quieter than the P/W, but I was buying the electronic foot control over the P/W offering. I think it is a Baldor motor, but have not looked. It is no doubt the hydraulic pump making the noise. It is not terrible, and to some degree you get accustom to it.

I will put the cabinet in next chance, as that is why I got it. Dot Matrix printers came standard for 8-1/2x11 finished size, and the larger size was what we refer to as green bar, which goes in a much wider printer. The pump/motor I have is just over 2 feet wide, so it will fit nicely.

11. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

The printer enclosure is appealing because they have some sound deadening material in them already and some have cooling fans. I checked on line and can get a used one for $50.00. And shipping is ONLY $135.00 via UPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Must be made of particle board. Time to hit the surplus stores around here. Or maybe I'll just build one myself - I have some surplus particle board in the garage. Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

12. cementman

cementman Member

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Built this box enclosure and lined with sound absorbing insulation same as used in insulating highspeed air ducts. Hydraulic unit bolted down with rubber grommet washer bolts and unit supported by rubber pad. Large openings cut for hoses and electrical wire to provide ventilation. Just hear a slight "hum" when unit operating.

13. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

They really don't get that warm at all, at least my Spolar doesn't, so you don't have to worry about that much.

14. JRW

JRW Member

Gene I have a 25# bag of shot laying on motor it has cut the noise some. Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.