1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hydra-mec collet problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wanderer, Dec 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wanderer

wanderer Member

Just installed a new collet on my hydra-mec 12 ga reloader. Worked fine with estate shells, but when switched to Fed top guns, about 1 every 25 will not go all the way down in collet and gets mashed. Collet is backed off as far as can go, is clean with no obstructions. Is the problem my collet or varying diamter of shell rim on top guns. Any one with a solution? Thanks, G.E.G.

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Many new 391 shooters are experiencing feed problems with the new Top Guns. I experienced my self. The brass (steel) seams to be slightly oversized?

3. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

I had a similiar problem with mine, turned out to be one of the collet fingers was bent in slightly, preventing the occasional shell from dropping completely into the collet. It was an easy fix once I was able to indentify the problem. It wasn't bent very much. Good luck.

Larry

4. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

There is a undercut in the collet fingers to allow for the shell rim. Sounds like the shell is not falling to the botton of the collet (obstruction, piece of shot, etc) and the rim is being resized.

5. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Many times it is just a simple thing like pulling the plunger up out of the resizer station and taking a clean dry cloth and wiping it down. Keep it dry and clean. Don't use lube on it.

6. clayman51

clayman51 Member

Check to be sure your indexer is locking it`s self into position. If it is off just a bit the hull will catch on the side of the collet and not permit the hull to drop. You can adjust this by turning the nut on the bottom of the small piston on the rear back side of the machine. A very small amount of turn on this may be all that is needed. Watch the index lock on the side as you adjust it, once you get it to where it just falls into place is where you want it to be. FYI tilt your shot and powder bottles back and disengage your primer feed as you are doing this.

Dennis

7. wanderer

wanderer Member

Thanks all for the input. G.E.G.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec hydra mec