1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hyd. PW 800 Plus, Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shot410ga, Jul 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I seem to be getting some arthritis in my shoulders wrists, and hands. So, I've been considering a PW 800 Plus with Hydraulics and a shell feeder. If any (I'm sure many) of you have this set-up, I would like your opinions. The Spolar would also be a consideration, but it does not have the shell feeder, which I like. As well, as being a lot more costly.

2. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I used that exact setup for probably a year. Good rig, you should love it. The shell feeder (like a primer feed) needs to be kept clean and watched, works great but will stick a shell at the top, especially STS that are just a tad longer than the Nitro shell.

That was my only issue with the P/W rig, constant issue with something. I felt like a P/W mechanic, especially the primer feed. In defense of the unit, I believe my loader came with a primer ram that cut poorly at best, and that was about 90% of the problem. Took a fair amount of time to determine that after buying some new ones from Whiz.

That said, even without the shell feeder, I love my Spolar. While no feeder, it is very easy to roll along feeding it hulls and wads. No primer misses, shot and powder right on every time. Support is 2nd to none (Whiz is 2nd to none also, but factory leaves a bit to be desired in my experience).

It is a bit like Chevy/Lexus to me....both will work well, last forever. Just depends on your tolerance level to tinker with it about as much as you spend time loading. Spolar costs considerably more, but believe it will return a higher percentage if/when you ever are done with it.

3. shot410ga

4. shot410ga

For a long time I have not been enamored with PW. But, I've been told they have really improved their products. Opinions?

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

I very much like the hydraulic system on my PW-2000. The shell feeder is nice but with the hydraulic system both hands are free and the shell feeder does not speed up reloading. I would also look at the electric motor units. They appear to be a little simpler than the hydraulic systems.

Pat Ireland

6. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I have the 800+ with electric drive and auto case feeder and I couldn't be happier. It loads and loads without a hick up one other than the ones that were my fault. In my eyes I own one of the best set ups made.
    I disagree with the above comment on the case feeder getting STS cases stuck. I have never had a case of any make or model stick.

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

I can load faster with the shell feeder than the combination of the feeder and electric drive. But the feeder does not always feed a shell perfectly. When that occurs, with a power drive you smash thing up and wind up with a mess to clean and unjam. Without the auto drive, you can feel things are about to bugger up and react before you break the die access plate.

If you go that way buy at least 3 die access plates. I used about 3 per year as they broke when the hull jammed.

I now use the PW with the auto drive only and "suffer" with a loading rate of about 2 flats per hour.

I also have a hydraulic Spolar and find it quite noisy compare to the electric drive. PW does produce an electric drive for the Spolar.

If you can afford it, the Spolar cannot be beat.

Don Verna

PS PW has improved their customer service but I still lean on Whiz White for most of PW needs.

8. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I just today picked up a fairly new Platinum 2000 12 gauge reloader and current production P/W hydraulic from the widow of a fellow trapshooter and friend. We both worked for the governor here in the past.

I am selling it for the widow for $1400 plus shipping. Both are in excellent condition and was not used much as the deceased became ill shortly after purchasing both items and subsequently succumbed to cancer.

I have both original shipping crates that I also picked up today.

Whiz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.