1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HVAC Help Needed- What Is This Part?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by blizzard, Dec 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

<a href="http://s143.photobucket.com/albums/r129/blizzard9605/?action=view&current=furnace.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Thanks in advance for the help. What I have is an approximately 12 year old Heil 7000/ Intercity gas furnace. The problem is that it's cycling is all messed up. Instead of the flame coming on, getting to temp., then the blower coming on and shutting down when desired temp. is reached, it fires, goes out, then blower, short cycles, etc. etc.

I'm suspecting it is this part, because this part is wired to the board and the draft inducer. The top part is separated from the bottom and is loose. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thank You.

2. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

This part is a heat indicator for the lack of the proper term. The problem you have is a cracked heat exchanger. This is the part that collects the heat from the burner and the fan blows the heat into the house. When this part is cracked the part you have pictured shuts down the flame before the fan can come on and blow the flame into the electronics and other parts that can't stand heat.

On my furnace I have to remove the top and get to where the fan is before being able to see the exchanger.

The link above shows pictures of the exchangers. Also in copy and paste.

http://americanhvacparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Inthe

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I think you put the link in the picture box. Try this.

HM

4. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Thanks for the catch.

5. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Right, but if that part is broken, wouldn't it mal function? I can go in there and move the top half of that part around, pull it apart, hold it together and make it function properly.

6. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Yes it could be a problem with the part. When you hold it together do you feel air blow in the area of the part? If so the heat exchanger if not replace the part.

7. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

NO, don't feel any air. I've been trying like all get out to find one of these things so I can order one, to no avail. I replaced the draft inducer a couple of months back and had no problem finding one.

8. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

got it- safety limit switch.

9. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Blizzard, that's a flame rollout safety switch. It probably fell apart for a reason. Just replacing it will not find the reason.<br>
    You can't stand there with your hand by the rollout for a few minutes and determine if it's working like it should or not. I would strongly urge you to have a professional HVAC contractor come out and check this furnace for you. When you call, ask if they have and use a Bacharach or Testo combustion analyzer. Find one that does. You are playing with your family's safety & possibly your lives. It also is suspect that you replaced the inducer assy. recently, that could also play into this. Harv Shell, 36 years in HVAC and 24 year HVAC contractor.

10. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Listen to Shotshell

Rick Waldstein mechanical contractor 36 yrs

11. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

Shotshell is right with the part name. If your flue is plugged or if you have a sudden down draft the flame will push out and this will detect that and shut you down. Some of these have a reset on them. Some don't For emergency use only you can jumper the wires together and have the furnace work. Remember only for emergency.

12. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Yup- The heat exchanger was cracked. I welded it and put it all back together- so far, so good. Thanks to all for your help!

13. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

That heat exchanger has a warranty for a limited time, 10 yrs-20yrs-lifetime.

And that part is the Flame rollout sensor.

Bad heat exchanger as you found out was causing the problem. Check your gas pressure on the manifold, it should be about 3.5 inches of water column, and make sure you change the furnace filters on a timely basis as this will keep the furnace from overheating. Also make sure all supply registers are open, if they are closed will also cause furnace to over heat.

Heil had a problem with heat exchangers failing and was for a time giving customers a new furnace free of charge.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot Heating contractor owner for over 30 years.

14. Harv Shell

Well Blizzard, your quite a quick study. At 8am this morning you didn't know the name of the flame rollout switch. In 12 hours you have torn down the furnace, removed the heat exchanger & welded it, put it all back together and got it all adjusted and running. Not bad for a novice. Do you think your welds might stress any already fatigued metal? Will you wonder if there are other cracks you didn't see? Have you ever heard the saying "penny wise and pound foolish?" I hope this works out for you, good luck. Please at least invest in a low alarm sensing CO detector like the one I linked here. Harv.

15. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

After many years in the electrical field and a good friend in the HVAC business, it's a wonder to me more people don't either burn down their property and/or kill their friends and family. When lives and property might depend on a repair, get a professional with a license and references. We, who have been in the business, all have horrow stories of home grown repairs. It's like shooting reloads by someone you don't know who may or may not know what they are doing. Jimmy Borum

16. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Hey Shotshell- Actually, I was done with the furnace by 12:00 noon. I also fully knew the function of the part, I just didn't know the terminology to use so that I could order a new one.

As far as finding all of the cracks- don't worry about me, see, it's my livelihood. I'm a certified welding inspector. I have an aas in Welding, and have been doing it for 20 years.I think that at this point in my career that if it's made of metal, I can handle it.

I also worked at a place that builds CNC's for 12 years, the last three as a millwright. I also have a pretty fair understanding of how stuff works, and I've had a CO monitor in my home for 4 yrs., and I test it regularly.

Thanks for your concern, I'm sure that you weren't being sarcastic.:)

A genuine "Thank You" to everyone else.

17. Harv Shell

Sorry Blizzard, I never employed or worked with any welding inspectors that were HVAC experts. Good luck, I'm done.

18. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

I swear that this place has become nothing but a gathering place for miseable @ssholes in the midst of mid life criseses.Your right Shotshell, what was I thinking?

From now on, I will only do things on my own that are welding related. I will always call a plumber when the toilets plugged, a roofer when a shingle blows off, and an electrician when a lightbulb blows. I'll disassemble my '65 Chevy and bring it to a mechanic so that it can be properly put together. He will probably be able to make it run better than the 10.5 1/4 with a 327 on pump gas than I can.

Remember though, this goes both ways. No more welding in your garage for any of you hacks. Any of you that want to weld, will have to come to myself, or another CWI for proper testing. Depending on what you want to do, each test will run approx. 400.00- that's pass or fail. Fail twice and you'll be out at least 800.00, and you will need to show proof of retraining before the retest.

I can provide the training, however, this gets a little expensive. Have a nice life, and don't forget, no working on your own stuff! Shotshell said so.

19. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

You did have that heat exchanger x-rayed, didn't you? I mean, just to be safe.

20. ShellShocked

ShellShocked TS Member

Wow, I just signed up for this site and I am already regretting my decision. This is worse than any other forum I have seen on the internet. A bunch of people looking to argue.

Blizzard, Shotshell gave you an answer to your question. I believe that is was genuine concern for your safety. It is not everyday that a person welds the heat exchanger for a fix. It is recommended practice in the HVAC world to replace either the heat exchanger or the entire furnace.

As you say, to each his own. As long as you have a CO detector, which hyou said you did.

As to your name calling and using generalities for guys on this forum, maybe you should also invest in a mirror and quit posting inflammatory comments. You really think you are going to accomplish anything with that post? Or how about your previous post with a "genuine" thank you for everyone else? You are really doing yourself and this forum a lot of good. Way to go and I can't wait to look forward to hearing your brilliant rebuttal. I can hear it now "just another @sshole trying to help me when I asked the question in the first place." Wow, when I think of it you will probably NEVER come to a conclusion like that. That would require self-reflection and logic which you seem to lack the ability to accomplish either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.