1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Husqvarna Chainsaw: Whati's its Value? (Help)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Chango2, Aug 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Husqvarna Chainsaw: Whati

I have Husky chainsaw that came my way. I don't need it; have two other contemporary Stihl saws. Husky just too big/specialized for my needs. However, the Husky (aka Husqvarna) is a class act and I'd like to sell it. Perhaps somebody more informed/into/or cutting more wood/trees than I knows way best:

Model: 181 SE
    Bar: Non-Husky, about 24"
    Condition: Cosmetics about C, Mechanics about B
    Size: 80 CC
    Vintage: Approx. Mid 80's
    Chain and bar are reasonably fresh, chain is sharp.
    Engine: Compression seems quite within spec, starts easily revs well.

Issues: Cosmetic: Slight chip in lower handle; of no consequence. Top part of saw (Plastic orange cover) appears faded from UV exposure; places where there were labels look fresh.
    Mechanics: Somebody took off the chainbrake. Not with saw.
    Missing one screw on top cover.
    Slight tear in air filter. Fixed. On-off switch won't turn saw off, one needs to stall saw to stop it via choke. Common Husky issue; I had one in the past.
    Top of the jug is marked with "B" without quotes; perhaps it has a fresh slightly oversize jug???

My inspection/mechanical forensics employed suggest that saw was not used much considering its age. However, it was not babied, but treated as a tool, not as a prized possession. Hence the UV fading, one wrong nut holding the bar to the saw (I replaced with correct one), slightly torn, but clean filter, dirt around engine, one missing top cover screw that I hope to source...and of course the missing chain brake. My guess is that was removed to improve safety when felling trees. Saw likely not used for bucking/firewood processing, but set up to not stall when felling trees...???

This is a very light saw for 80 cc's, a class act, weights same as my Stihl 59 cc saw that I use for bucking firewood. This thing is the real deal...used for felling trees.

Thanks..sounds like I'm trying to sell it, but wish to sell it locally and wish to put a fair price (for self and for buyer) on this excellent, but likely obsolete chainsaw (due to parts-sourcing difficulties, not due to performance) in year 2009 for winter 2010.

Thanks for any consultation; I'm in So-Cal; I'd guess those of you in colder and more rural climates know a lot more about this stuff than I...thanks in advance...

David
  2. HSLDS

HSLDS Active Member

check this out:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=64240

Looks to be a popular saw for competition...
  3. Bob_K

Bob_K Active Member

"...places where there were labels look fresh."
    "Somebody took off the chainbrake."

Labels taken off? I suppose they were safety labels, taken off along with the chain brake. Anyone else think this is a liability lawsuit waiting to happen?
  4. TOLIPNUG

TOLIPNUG TS Member

GARAGE SALE IT FOR $60-PUT FRESH GAS IN IT SO IT WILL START UP FOR THEM-IT'LL SELL-RICK
  5. g7777777

g7777777 Active Member

Not much

close to if not equal to zero

maybe the garage sale thing is a good idea but you know the issues with it
  6. 1290FPS

1290FPS Member

Missing screws, torn air filter, different bar, no chain brake, wrong nut, faded cover, on/off switch not working. Sounds like the saw was abused/half assed repaired. Based on what is posted as description I would be willing to bet that one of the muffler bolts is also missing. The bar on this saw is too long for any prolonged heavy work. $125.00 max. sold as is where is. Good luck.
  7. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Well...I'll either give this saw or sell it on the cheap to a fellow trapshooter at a club I frequent. That club has a big fireplace and is close to the high desert, so they need BTU's. I don't fear liability 'cause them old boys are real smart 'cause they know how to shoot trap!!!

Actually, some are hands on types re. cutting trees and logs for wood. One member is a lawyer, so I won't sell the saw to him. Besides, he'd need a release throttle.

Thanks,

David
  8. GeeWhiz

GeeWhiz TS Member

I have a 181SE that I purchased new in 1983 0r 84 for about $800.00. I removed the chain brake immediately because it set too easy when falling a big tree due to the rubber mount anti-vibration system. I have run my saw regularly with a 36" bar and have a 48" that I have put on a few times for old growth. the 48" does lug the saw a little if you don't take it easy. If you run skip tooth chain, it will run the 36" without a problem. If yours has a 24" or 28", you should never have an issue of low power. I have been offered $200.00 for my saw recently and turned it down because it is still going strong and I have not seen anything as powerful that is as light in weight. If i were you, I would keep it and use it til it dies.
  9. eightbore

eightbore Active Member

I have a Model 15 fluid steel hammer gun that works very well. I may take it out this afternoon for doves. My chain saws, no matter who made them, are a horror. They are hard to start, hard to sharpen, and too damn heavy to work over my head. I would rather waste my money on shotguns than chain saws.
  10. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

BTW, my "dream" chainsaw is the Stihl 200T...
  11. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

Well after 88 stiches in my hand THE CHAIN BREAK is there for a reason.
  12. GeeWhiz

GeeWhiz TS Member

ricks1
    The chain brake is not a replacement for common sense...don't try to stop the chain with your hand! LOL
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.