1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Husqvarna Blower Problem: VERDICT IN

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GW22, Aug 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Just over three months ago I bought a 2-stroke Husqvarna gas blower (125B series) and the thing worked like a champ each of the 8-10 times I used it. Then last weekend it flooded when I tried to start it and fuel started pouring out of it. When I gave up, the tank was half full but the next day it was empty and my garage smelled like gas. Twice since then I let it dry out and tried to start it again. Plug looks fine and it starts while choked, but I can not get the RPMs up and I can not keep it running as I start to open the choke. Husky told me to call a local mower place that handles their warranty work but the service guy was ballsy enough to tell me right over the phone that it probably isn't going to be covered under warranty. He immediately said, "It's a fuel problem -- you either used gas with too much ethanol in it or you got dirt in the carb." Well, I used the same damn gas/oil/Sea-Foam mixture from the same exact container that I used for my old McChulloch blower which ran fine for 16 years. And my 2-stroke weed trimmer runs fine on that same fuel too. I tried to start it again tonight and it just quits and, again, the fuel just pours out of it.

I worked on a lot of small engines when I was younger but I don't have much interest in pulling the carb off a brand new blower and trying to figure it out. Any suggestions before I go spend $50-$75 to have someone fix a $159 blower that's barely three months old?

-Gary

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Can't diagnose the problem from here but I don't understand your reluctance to take in for repair. If Husky told you to take in for repair - that tells me they are ready to make good on it. The jack ass repair guy is probably lubing you up for a bogus repair charge just because he doesn't want to do the warranty paper work. Stand your ground man - take it in an tell him to fix the thing then let Husky deal with him about the bill.

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I guess that's what I'll do but if he produces a speck of dirt (he promised to show me what comes out of my carb, LOL) then I doubt Husky is going to refute his "findings." After all, if you don't want to do paperwork it isn't exactly difficult to produce a piece of dirt, right? I also don't want to be without my blower for a month while I battle with idiots.

-Gary

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Good luck Garry - I too would just as soon avoid the service people and warranty BS but I seriously doubt this is your fault so make them stand up a do what they say they will do. Sometimes ya just gotta be a bit of an Ahole .....

5. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Sounds like the needle valve is sticking open - not a big deal to fix, but the real question is where did you buy it??

If Lowes/Home Depot you can take it back and they will most likely just give you another one. Clean it up nicely and try your luck at the returns desk.

If you want to adjust it your self its a matter of pulling the carb, opening the fuel inlet side (be careful not to rip the diaphram and make sure you pay attention to orientation so you can put it together correctly) and making sure the needle valve is adjusted correctly - and moving freely.

6. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I have one, sorry I bought the thing. Bought mine at Lowes. It has always been hard to start and have to leave the choke half closed. No gas to the cylinder. Usually I take the plug out and pour gas in to start it. Will no longer start. The diaphragm may be stuck to one side of the carb body. May be able to fix it by just taking the carb apart and reassembling. Had to buy a special tool to adjust the carb. Wish I had bought an Echo. Have to say it it nice when it runs.

7. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I had an Echo and it worked fine re. starting and all of that, but took it back...no "oooomph" even when adjusted correctly at carb; but very quiet.......have both an Echo and Stihl string trimmers, like the Echo slightly better 'cause has as much power, easier to reload string, and slightly lighter. Ended up with a second Stihl hand held blower that works fine.

Point: I guess it depends on not only the brand, but on what the company is "good/best" at doing.

Suggest: Call Husky rep. in the area and/or make box store take it back and buy a Stihl.

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Gary,

I have that exact Model blower and have had it for (3) years now without a single issue. It fires up 3rd pull everytime. As advised above, take it in for service. If the one place refuses to make it right, take it elsewhere. It's a good machine and should last a long time. I use Stabil in mine over the winter and have never had an issue with it starting come spring. I have both Husqvarna and Stihl products(chainsaws, weedeaters, leaf blowers) and they are both excellent equpiment. I personally can't tell the difference between the two.
    [​IMG]

9. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

grntitan , yeah, that is the culprit! I have two Stihl weed eaters in the garage somewhere, refuse to even use them, junk! Have had a Sthil 032 chain saw since 1984 that is an excellent product. Best two cycle I have ever owned was a cheap Homelite leaf blower. Started first pull every time and lasted a long time.

10. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Yep, that's it. It was highly rated and it always started easy and worked great until last weekend.

I bought it as Lowes, but I had it just over 90 days before it crapped out. I doubt the store will do anything for me after that much time. They're the ones who sent me to Husky warranty service.

-Gary

11. krieghoff200

krieghoff200 TS Member

Gary...sorry to hear you are having problems with your unit...Having been a Husqvarna Dealer for over 25 yrs.and the co-owner of a Family Lawn & Garden Equipment business that started in 1936, the fuel that is available is killing the 2 cycle engines.....dam ethanol...it collects moisture in the carb and if it sets for more than a couple days the moisture will start to corrode the magneisum that the carb is made from....its a simple fix to remove the inlet needle, clean it with scotchbrite and reassemble it...However the repair shop is correct, a fuel issue is not covered by their warranty. If you purchased it from Lowe's then i advise you to take it back there for a refund or a replacement...Lowes buys all their Husqvarna Equipment from Husqvarna with NO Warranty so that they can sell them cheaper the the Husqvarna Dealers. They use their own Warranty Service to do Most repairs and I for one refuse to participate in the Big Box Store Warranty programs. The other thing that you stated is that you are using the same oil/gas/sea-foam misture that you used in your old Mac...your old Mac and your weed wacker more than likely have a different mixture ratio( 50 to 1 for all Husqvarna 2 cycle units...2.6oz of oil per gallon of premiun gas). Johnny...it is also not legal for the dealer to sell you the tool to adjust the carb yourself..He faces a $3750 fine for every day that you have the tool in your posession from the EPA, and they are getting very strict about it

Steve White....Whites Sales & Service

12. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Steve:

You said, "Lowes buys all their Husqvarna Equipment from Husqvarna with NO Warranty so that they can sell them cheaper the the Husqvarna Dealers. They use their own Warranty Service to do Most repairs..."

Lowes told me to call Husky, because I was past 90 days. Are you saying the Husky warranty will not cover my unit because I bought it at Lowes?

I'll say this -- the local mower place that Husky sent me to has a major "attitude" about product bought at Lowes or Home Depot. They even have a sign up about it. Also, the original "day or so" estimated lead-time turned into "7-10 days" the instant they saw my Lowes receipt. It really sucks to be caught up in this crap. I always loved Husky, all the way back to my dirtbiking days in the 70s, but if I have to go into my pocket to fix a 3 month old blower then I'm probably done with Husqvarna.

-Gary

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Buy Echo or Stihl and be done with issues

14. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Gary,

I think you are missing the point here. Don't blame Husky (or at least not very much) - for what is true of them will also be true of any equipment bought at Lowes, etc. You should blame Lowes along with the fuel companies and the government that makes them sell gas that hurts equipment (NOTE - ethanol fuel can hurt your car just as easily). Hence the comment to bitch and moan at the returns desk - they will most likely just hand you a new blower.

Part of the problem is that we all want to save a buck - hence we shop for the best price, not realizing that we may be paying for those savings in the long run.

Years ago K-mart sold a Homelite chain saw for about five bucks more than a regular retailer could buy the saw for from their wholesaler. What you didn't notice was that they were slightly different models - I'm making these numbers up, but if the 'normal' saw was a 180-XL the K-mart one was a 180-XLm - no biggie right?? Well Homelite saws had a chrome lined cylinder - an added expense, but it made them a lot tougher and longer lasting, while the K-mart model was just a plain aluminum cylinder - the savings, by ordering the saw without the chromed cylinder were substantial, and much of the savings were passed on to the consumer - but the quality suffered and killed the brand. Add to this the volume discount when they bought for all their stores at one time and you see where this is going.

At one point this was a saw used by tree surgeons all the time - couldn't tell you the last time I saw one on a truck...

This was so bad you could buy Dutch Boy paint at the normal price at K-mart for LESS than any other paint store could buy the paint from the company reps...

Husky is a GREAT product, but they have never really penetrated the US market. Their deal with Lowes and Home Depot got them seen, but as you are experiencing the costs may outweigh the benefits. On the bright side, you are getting a "real" Husky for your reduced costs - just less of a warranty with it (remember, built into the purchase price are funds to pay for repairs).

The repair needed is NOT a big one - not sure how handy you are but it is around a half hour job.

Next switch to fuel without ethanol in it (in certain areas this may not be an option), if you can't start using Stabil in your fuel - cut and paste this URL - http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/products.aspx - now go to the bottom of the page for their ethanol fuel product. (NOTE - Stabil is a great product for ANY fuel that tends to sit)

At the top of this post I have included a link to their FAQ page on ethanol fuel - much info there.

Good luck and please let us know how things turn out.

David

PS - CC2000 - Just saw your post. It is the fuel, not the blower. Echo and Stihl are at risk for the same issue...

15. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Here we go again with the bad gas nonsense. The fuel came out of the same exact mix the Husky blower ran fine on several times prior. Plus my weed trimmer ran on it several times, including again yesterday.

Why is everyone so brainwashed? Is it absolutely impossible to fathom that the blower might be to blame? I happen to be a mechanical engineer and I work with manufacturing and quality issues five days a week and I've got news for you - whether its Mercedes Benz, Honda or Husqvarna, sometimes sh!t gets out the door.

I bought this blower on a weekend at the only place open to sell me one - LOWES. I patronize small, privately-owned business as much as I can, but I'm not going to apologize because I didn't leave clippings on my driveway and sidewalks till Monday and take time off work work so I could pay $75 more at Joe Blow's. This new blower died after less than 1 hour of actual use - just 13% into the warranty period - and there's no way in the world I should have to go into my pocket for that (regardless of whatever pissing contests Husky has going on with their dealers and related warranty arrangements).

-Gary

16. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Gary,

That being said please re-read my original post. The one way up near the top.

The symptom you describe is one of a needle valve stuck in the open position. Many causes for this beside bad fuel (you are correct). But you are dealing with a warranty center that is already blaming the fuel (a known issue for small two stroke engines) so that is where the thread has gone.

Could be a piece of dirt inside the valve seat, a slight misalignment of the needle valve on it's purchase, a return spring broken or out of place, etc.

The issue is the warranty, who provides it (and how convenient it is), and what is covered and what is not. The problem is you won't know until they are 'into the machine' - I get it.

With your background it makes more sense (and will be way less stressful) to do the repair yourself. If it is NOT the needle valve assembly (and thus it will not be related to the quality of the fuel) then by all means have the warranty center deal with it (just don't admit you opened it up first).

Just appears you are stressing over what should be a small inconvenience. We are trying to help with thoughts, ideas, opinions.

David

17. GW22

GW22 Active Member

"Just don't admit you opened it up first."

Why? Because then whatever is wrong with it will suddenly be my fault, right?

That's exactly why I'm not going to open it up. I will wait patiently for the genius at the repair shop to call me and definitively state that it was absolutely my "bad gas." Then I will vote with my feet. And my mouth.

-Gary

18. HKJ

HKJ Member

When I first started using the 125B, all was well, plenty of power and easy to start...then it started going downhill (after 3 months).

Got to the point where it was losing power and then would'nt start, took into the dealer and they discovered the fuel hose system was defective.

Got it back and it starts but still lower on RPM's so changed the spark plug and no improvement, so back to the dealer again.

Now Husqvarna claims the new plug caused the problem ...so voided the warranty and handed it back as my problem.

No more Husqvarna for me.

19. GW22

GW22 Active Member

"Fuel hose system was defective"? Hmm, maybe that why mine empties its fuel tank on my shoes.

Naaaaw! I'm sure it's my "bad gas." LOL.

-Gary

20. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I think part of the problem can be seen in Steve W.'s response.

It is obvious that the Big Box stores don't want to pay money out, so they will try to work out ridiculously low payments to the warranty shops. Too low for most small shops, and when you go to the small shop with the machine not in the system you got at Lowes you can understand his frustration when he says "I do not work on ones bought at Lowes."

Further, most factory warranties give the shops wiggle room, so even if it is bad gas or dirt, they will typically fix it under warranty - they want you to return. With the low pay offered by the Big Boxes they are given no room to work with the customers, so everyone ends up screwed and pissed off.

Sad but true.

You might ask Steve to elaborate on this for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
husqvarna 125b blower carburetor adjustment

husqvarna 125b blower problems

husqvarna 125b carburetor adjustment

husqvarna 125b problems
husqvarna 125b wont start
husqvarna blower troubleshooting
husqvarna leaf blower troubleshooting
problems with husqvarna blowers