1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Husky 357XP v. Stihl MS 361

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Big Al 29, Dec 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Both are 4.4 hp.

Which one is better or prefer??

Any reviews of Husky v. Stihl??

I hear great things about Huskys and I hear great things about Stihls. Husky uses love the Huskys and Stihl users love the Stihls

Is this a Krieghoff v. Perazzi debate?

We have service for both, we have dealers for both.

Any comparisons one can make to each other?

The Stihl is around 600 bucks.
    The Husky is around 550 bucks.

Both seem to have the same things. Am I missing anything?

2. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Buck those are some pretty powerful saws for weekend work. What do you plan to use them for? If not using on a commercial basis you will be hard pressed to wear out a 455 rancher Husqvarna or an 031 Stihl. It really is a ford VS Chevy question. I know loggers who say that real men drive Ford pick-ups and run Husqvarna chain saws and others who say real men drive Chevrolet trucks and run Stihls. I have used both and they are both great saws. Stay away from anything but these brands. Jeff

3. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

I don't see how you can go wrong with either unit.
    Soooo....might as well save yourself $50.

4. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

I should have used different saws for the comparrisson as I had no interest in buying one of this caliber.

The Rancher or the 031 is where I am going.

In fact I own an older version, the 51 rancher and it still has all of its life left. Been through 2 bars and a bunch of chains and the saw still fires right up and pulls through the toughest wood.

I got my buddies that run Stihls and cry bloody murder how their Stils are the "Only" saw a mortal man should use.

i see no difference when I ran both. In fact I thought the Husky had much more RPMs than the Stilhs of the same caliber.

I think they are both great saws and have seen nothing that is in either class. I saw an Echo that surprised me a bit but the other stuff is pretty much junk.

I was wondering if anyone ever matched the two up in combat so to say. And what their results were.

Are the Stihls being made in the USA now? I thought I heard they were now being made in Atlanta, Georgia.

I think the Husky's are still being made in Sweden???

5. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Any thoughts on the Dolmar PS5100??

I have been doing some reading and hear this may be the new bad boy on the block for the mid-size chainsaws.

Made by Makita I think?

6. msmith

msmith Member

I am a Stihl person myself, but both saws are top notch. See which one is more comfortable and the easiest to service and get service done. both saws will last!

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Old racer speaking: Get the Husky. Never saw a Stihl race bike.

Actually both brands have economized a little on their new stuff, and my friend who is in the tree business searches out older used Stihls rather than buying new ones.

choice of chain is important, 12/,3/4, or full chisel depending on the wood. Fotget the skip tooth anti kickback chain, it will just frustrate you. but possibly the higher RPM may compensate that (with a higher chain wearfactor).

HM

8. nukinfuts

nukinfuts TS Member

Does Husky still make dirt bikes?..Nuc

9. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

No bumper links?

Really makes the difference?

Semi or Full?

Always told Semi was better for abrasive conditions and if I hit some dirt or a stone the chain would still work.

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

You might look at both brands of like size for simplicity for personal maintenance. I absolutely loved my ol' Husky 44 from the '80s since it was reliable, light, and especially since it was so VERY easy to maintain....breakemall....Bob Dodd

11. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

This is the answer....

12. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

I have run saws in the woods for over twenty years. The Husky's have a higher rpm, and the Stihls have a higher amount of torque. I like the smaller Husky saws and the bigger Stihl saws. If I had to pick a mid sized saw, it would hands down be the Husky 346xp. The rpm is the highest in its class, hitting 14,500. It has a great power to weight ratio, and I used that model in the woods for four years. With a 16" or 18" Oregon bar, and Stihl (yes Stihl) chisel chain, it is unbeatable in the mid size range of saws. I can cut circles around guys with the 365 size saws. Do yourself a HUGE favor and check them out. Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

357 vs ms 361