1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hunting with my black lab

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by nailer123, Dec 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

I have a 5 year old male black lab .Here is the problem when we first start to hunt he will run for about 15min and then he looses all control of he,s back legs.I rest him for 10 to 15 min and he is good to go. Someone said it is something called exersize disease.Anybody know anthing about it.I have stop hunting him.

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Could be a lot of things- none good- take him to a Vet- that is what they are educated and trained to do-

Gene

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

There is a Vet in Saskatchewan who has done much research on this problem. This was written up in Gun Dog Magazine some years ago. The website for this research is shown above.

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Hope you get him fixed up...I have a female Lab and shes my child and best buddy

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

There is a follow up article on the problem that suggests possible treatment options. On the first link click on other articles and then click on EIC update.

6. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

mike,,very informative,,thanks,,Jim

7. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

Mike thank you that is it . I found out he,s litter mate has the same thing.The rest of the litter is fine . I don,t know how many where in the litter He is my wife,s dog and he was here when we got married.Thanks again mike i will make him a house dog.

8. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

Mike,
    MANY THANKS, JOE JORDAN

9. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Very interesting article this is the first time I've heard of this problem with labs. My wife and I just rescued a 8 month old female yellow she is very fit and full of energy I excercise her almost daily with no problem. I've had her in the field once fore several hours with no sign of fatigue. This pu is my new second best friend and I hope I'm not faced with a problem that the nailer is having. You have my sympathies nailer and I hop you can get your dog well quickly. I've owned three other labs andwhen faced with a big problem my vet has always sent me to a locla vet school for help. One lab had a hip replacement the other had cartilidge removed form a front shoulder both were back in shape in no time. One surgery at Southern University of Illinois vet school theo other at Universtiy of Wisc Madison take your dog to a good vet school they'll know what to offer as help. Good Luck and I hope it works out for you and your Black Lab.

10. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

funny thing, I suffer from the same affliction after about 10 minutes of raking leaves during upland season....

11. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

My female has bad hips i sent her to ames iowa . They fused her pelvic bone when she was just a pup.It was a new deal it tip her hip bone down as she got older it work great. She is now 6 and hunts all the time no pain.

12. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Frank, you have a severe case of rakers elbow; the cure two days afield for every hour of raking

13. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I was recently told that all chocolates have the gene for EIC and it is either dominant or recessive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hunting with my lab