1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hunting Trip Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gspman, Sep 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gspman

gspman Member

My brother-in-law is going on an elk hunting trip next month at the Chama Lodge in New Mexico. He and his fellow hunters are planning on shipping all of their gear, guns, and ammo via UPS to the lodge beforehand.

Has anyone done this before? Any pitfalls? Is UPS the right carrier?

gspman

2. Opion8ted

Opion8ted TS Member

Four friends shipped bows, arrows and clothing from NY to Colorado last year to the guide. They used UPS and it went smoothly. Just don't use Fed X "ground", they destroy stuff. Always insure.

3. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

yes, i bought a pelican case with four locks. i ship all my gear ahead to my hunting area works fine. make sure you buy a good container like pelican.

4. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

I do not have a carrier recommendation but shipping works. It is the method we get stuff from Cabelas, Precision Reloading, etc. When it comes to tracking something, you'll find the airlines don't know where anything is even if it is where it is supposed to be.

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Dont use UPS

Frankly I would take the rifle at least on the airline

Gene

6. steele

steele TS Member

I've been going archery elk hunting in Colorado since 99 & always took by gear with me on the plane. Four years ago, the TSA inspectors, bent 4 arrows, damaged the arrow rest & lost the bow sight from my bow case. From then on, I always ship my gear ahead. At least you know that no one is going to rummage through your gear. I stay at a Super 8 motel prior to going to the hunting lodge, so I just send my stuff there. On my way home, I drop my gear off at the motel again & have UPS pick it up to send home. I do this 3-4 times a year & never had a problem. It is just alot easier than trying to drag all the gear through the airports. PS: I filed a claim with TSA & after 5 months, they advised me I couldn't prove it was their inspectors that were responsible!!

7. Finprof

Finprof TS Member

The airlines will let you check two bags and ahve one carry-on bag. Your gun case counts as one bag - but not your skis or golf clubs for some reason. I can't get all my hunting gear (tree stand?) into the other bag so I ship my tree stand and a lot of my clothes. I also ship my fishing equipment since I usually fish and hunt at the same time.

One time I checked three bags and the airline charged me something like $50 extra each way for the exra bag. I usually take my guns as a checked bag with me because of the problems in shipping guns to an FFL, unless I can ship my guns to me at an address in another state.

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Shipping the gear ahead of the hunt is a good idea because if there are any problems they can be delt with before the hunt. I have more confidence in UPS than any airline.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.