1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

hunting stories your most interesting

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by wolfram, Dec 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Back in the days when I was a cash strapped engineering student, I remember looking out my window and seeing a pair of rooster pheasants walking the ditchline about 100 yards away. The season was on and as usual there wasn't much food in the house. There my trust 870 sat in the corner but foolishly I had shot up every shell I had at ducks weeks ago. But I just couldn't put my nose back in the books with those long tailed cacklers out there in the open so I grabbed the wrist rocket and a couple of cast lead 158 grain .38 bullets that happened to be in my desk and set out to hopefully ground pound one of the roosters. Well, I managed to sneek up to within 20 feet of the pair and I took carefull aim and let 'er fly --- missed by about a foot. But for some reason the birds didn't flush so I got another slug into the rocket and drew back and then all hell broke loose and about six birds jumped up even closer than the ones I had shot at. Out of pure shock and suprise, I let the sling go and majically the lead slug hit one of the airborne birds right in the base of the neck killing it instantly. The hunting gods had smiled on me - too bad there weren't any witnesses.

2. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

I was a young 6 or 7 year old kid, hunting with my father. He was the only one carrying a shotgun, and my job was to walk about 15 feet to his side trying to flush rabbits. We had managed to jump a few but they ran in way that he couldn't get a good shot off. We had stopped in a clearing and he said'why won't one run right down that way' and 2 seconds later a rabbit jumped up and ran right that way. Easy shot and my dad is standing by it smiling and another one jumps up running right down the opening to another easy shot. 2 rabbits in less than 15 seconds. Big smiles and baked rabbit and dressing the next day. DON

3. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Seeing my dad make a triple on Cock pheasants back in the late 50's with his Auto 5 up in Carrol County in northern IL. I think the limit was two but he got so excited with the big group rise he shot his gun dry. He told me not to do the same unless they raised the limit. I was playing with a bow that day and had missed many by the time he pulled that off.

4. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

I have one from last weekend....While hunting out at the DesPlaines conservation area her in IL my friend and I approached this tree line where I noticed a rather large rooster duck into the foliage about 50 yards ahead of me. After bringing this to the attention of my hunting partner we made our way down the tree line with my Weimaraner "Lucky" and his GSP Pepper each of us on either side of the treeline.... As we got close to where I marked to bird both dogs became very birdy and the huge rooster took flight about 30 yards in front of us and headed for another treeline adjacent to where we positioned....Both of us watched in astonishment as the Rooster caught the 30+ MPH cross wind and proceeded to close-line himself on the branches!!!! Wham! The Rooster hit the branches and then fell into the thicket....Again marking where the bird went down we hastily made our way to the spot where the rooster had made his misjudgement in flight pattern...Sure enough my trust Weimaraner located the raptor sitting dazed and confused at the base of the tree that ultimately would be his demise...The next thing I knew my dog was locked on point and I made my way to flush him from the thicket readying my partner for a shot...The rooster then tried to make an escape only to be foiled by some very thick briars in which my trusty Weim proceeded to snatch him up in her jaws....Needless to say there was no shot to worry about when I was cleaning that bird later on that day....I have hunted all of my life and have never seen a bird make such a miscalculation in flight in all my life...It literally broke a branch at least 2 inches in diameter! LOL!!!!

5. mx3p4

mx3p4 Member

Duck hunting once with my 2 brothers. Both claimed to have shot a hen mallard.
    Oldest brother said "I'll let you have the duck I shot if you will go in and get it". Well my brother wasn't one to let game get away so he stripped down to his underwear and waded into the water. It was about 35 degrees out and the botton was frozen. It was so cold it took his breath away. We laughed so hard the tears froze on our checks. Anyway he got the duck and we went to town and bought all the cold medicine he could, thinking he would be sick. He never got sick and he had the mallard for dinner.
    My oldest brother and I buried him last week. He will me missed.

Randy

6. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Frst time for me and my 2 yr old blk lab huntig ducks as guest of good friend, loaded all our gear into the rowboat to set out for the blinds early about 4:30 AM. Everything in the boat except the dog she was scared to death after calling and coaxing for five minutes I told my host let's leaver her behind she'll stay close to the car I'm sure. I sat down in the boat we started to move and the dog leapt in to the boat she must have jumped five feet through the air. Got to our blind and started throwing decoys out dam dog retriev em as fast as we placed em. Got that straighted out and waited for legal shooting time first bunch came in to the deeks and we shoot two dog looked at me when I sent her on a retrive like I was crazy, she wasn't going after those ducks. The water was a bit over waist high and wearing chest highs I walked her out to each duck and had her bring them back which she did willingly with me at her side. Got back in to the blind got settled in and no dog?? Stood up and there she was in front of the blind watching the sky! Another bunch came in to the deeks we shoot three and with out a word that dog hit the water and did a double followed by a single retrive like she'd been doing it all her life we were both amazed. an hour or so later we crippled a diver as the dog started the retrive the bird went under the dog looked and waited and up poped the duck, my host was afraid that duck would wear the dog out by diving so he was going to shoot the duck when it surfaced again I stooped him and said watch her! Next time the duck dove so did the dog she was under for what seemed like 5minutes but was less than one up she came with the duck in her mouth. They say every dog man only gets one great hunting dog and of the three I've owned she was the greatest.

7. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

Bruce every man deserves at least one good dog and one good wife.

It took me two wives,and four dogs,before I got one.

Now, not to take anything away from this great thread.

My best hunting story out of many was nine days ago.Cold weather was on us,and we broke out a nice hole with decoys looking perfect.
    Well we seen one duck and had a nice breakfest.
    Pulled decoys and went to the cabin around noon.
    So, we did not fire one shot,but had a great time and looking forward to the next season.Being with friends and enjoying the gift of Mother Nature is what it's all about.

Bocephas

8. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

Great stories. Randy, our thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.Bocephus has it right about wives and dogs. I am the blessed one cause I found a great wife on the first try and am on my 2nd great dog. Don

9. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I found the best wife on the first try as for dogs? That female was thebest but I've been blessed to have tow others that are ane where great dogs and friends. Bocephas I couldn't agree more being in the outdoors and spending time with great friends doesn't get much better.

10. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

A friend and myself went jumpshooting ducks back in the 70's and we were on a creek.We had just seen a large flock of mallards drop down into an area that we knew we could get within 20 feet of! We jumped the birds and we each shot three birds.The labrador retriever jumped in and brought back 5 birds.We thought we had somehow lost the 6th bird.The dog went back into the water and swam to the other side of the creek and went underwater and disapeared!!!About 3 minutes later he popped back to the surface and to our amazement he had the duck in his mouth!!!The only thing we could figure was that the bank was undercut and somehow the dog sensed this and went to this "pocket"and retrieved the duck!!PJ PS Hey guy's , Before you get married do like I did!!Tell her that hunting and fishing are one and two,Then comes my two dog's and then comes YOU!! Honest it worked for me and she is still with me although I have given in to some of her demands. LOL PJ

11. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

I don't know about interesting, but I sure know about unusual. As a young woman, 17, deer hunting in the midst of winter wasn't my idea, at the time, of a good time. But I was anxious to spend quality time with my dad. So on a crisp, frosty morning I crawled out of bed at 5:00am to join my dad for some quality father/daughter time. We arrived at the perfect site, a mound of dirt that gave me a 360 degrees of visability. My dad, Frank Little, left for the second best site, he was that kind of man. I sat quietly for what seemed like eternity freezing, trying desperately not to fall asleep, reading a book I concealed in my jacket, when out of no where my morning java filled my bladder. Well you see, men are well equipped when "nature calls," but for us gals it's a "moon" in the crisp morning air. So I leaned my Remington 1100 against the tree and set out to shine my moon. Just as my moon rose, so did the most amazing 10 point buck, I reached for my shotgun and took a shot with a "full moon a rising"! It was a solid lung wound, but the buck ran at me, so I fired another shot and sadly shot off one of his antlers. I gained my composure, and my dad arrived shortly hearing the shots to see my trophy. My dad epoxied the antler and til this day I have a nice slug hole in the rack to tell my tale. Kim

12. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

When I was just out of high school I picked up my truck every morning adjacent to this field that was hemmed in by industrial buildings. There were still pheasants there in those days and this particular morning some guy with a double was out there hunting them. This big rooster gets up and the guy misses it but it flies right into the face of this metal barn roof, slides up the roof and hits the protector at the ridge top, and tumbles down the other side. I ran to the rear of that barn just in time to see it pick itself up and fly straight into a hog wire fence, bounce to the ground, pick itself up and fly off.

13. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

No biggie but one time when my dad and I went rabbit hunting, he also took the trusty old 8mm movie camera. It was he and I and my beagles Mutt and Jeff,...we were out beating the bush in 4" of snow and I'll bet we covered almost 10 miles with the dogs covering 30. We ended up back at our trailer with an even dozen bunnies and after we skinned them out, dad cut them up and made a big batch of bunny stew. He called me a few times after it was done to come it and after no response he came back into the bunk area to find me on my back, mouth wide open and snoring...with a pup on either side of me..my arms around each one ..they too on thier backs...paws up...snoring and slobbering.....dad made a nice 5 minute feature film of it that always found its way into the projector every home movie night

14. jjv1234

jjv1234 Member

About ten years ago I was pheasant hunting with a good friend. We were frustrated after being skunked out of birds for most of the day and we were walking a fenceline back to the pickup, we both thought this was a pretty unasuming place for a rooster to sit and about 1/4 mile from the truck we both stopped to pee and leaned our guns on the fence. My friend practically peed right on a rooster that was sitting tight in the fence row. The bird busted out of the fence row and he instantly grabbed his shotgun and dropped the bird with his willie still hanging out. We still laugh like idiots when we remember that story.

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Fun story Kim, thanks for sharing it.

16. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I was hunting Quail with my Pointer some years ago. We found a few coveys and I had shot a number of birds. The dog made a wide cast and was out of my sight for some time. I got a bit concerned and went looking for him. I called and whistled and walked for miles in all directions to no avail. As night fell, I was forced to abandon the search.

I was back the next morning and for many mornings thereafter, all to no avail. I finally gave up the search and hoped that he had been picked up by another hunter.

The following season, I was back in the same area with my new pup. I came across an abandoned rairoad track I had not seen before. As I followed it a little ways I came across the skeleton of my Pointer pointing the skeleton of a Quail. Talk about steady! Beat that one!!!

17. larryjk

larryjk Member

Huting pheasants in North Dakota. Standing guard at the end of a double row of cedar trees that looked like a checken yard down through the middle. It had snowed the night before and they were between those cedars where there was very little wind and it was relatively warm. Two friends were coming down the outside of the "hedge row" and the birds started coming out. I was swinging on a long tailed roosterand about to pull the trigger when he flew into the REA power line and cold-cocked himself. Landed about twnety feet away and I went over and picked him up. His eyes started to open and I broke his neck and put him in the vest. My buddy said,"You aren't going to keep that freebie, are you?"

18. peanut gallery

peanut gallery TS Member

I have many and I hope I will have many more some are with my father some aren't .Pop is still around , I'm lucky in that sence and believe me ,every chance I have to invite him I do . But I'm just lucky to not only having my dad in later years but the great hunting friends I have now. At 1 time or another I've had great land, plenty of game, or great people to be around . Now days I cherish the people and really hunting comes second the game comes third and if I shoot hay so be it. I have many many great memories. Ok one of many we were deer hunting, in my area Turkey season is in also .Will I was on my stand and all at once it sounded like World War 3 had started after the shooting I walked down to where the shooting had taken place Ole man Bourne he walked over to the field and saw what he thought were Turkeys and mowed them down he was so happy and excited that he had quitey walked up on these birds will he couldn't see to well but these turkeys were decoys.Hunting with dad rabbit hunting i was very young i shot a rabbit but only wounded the critter well i was scared to pick it up well by then 1 of the dogs had caught up .I was trying to keep the dog from the injuried rabbit and i was taking the barrel and tryin to hit the rabbit with it .Well i missed the rabbit and hit the dog in the head with the barrel .It knocked the dog out cold . I thought i had killed the dog i screamed for my father dad get here . He came being the quick thinker he was he checked the dog an said it was a live .By then the dogs owner came up Pop looked at him and said man i'm sorry but my bitch musta been to much for your dog we had a female in season . I never ever said another word about this. Merry Christmas

19. fortwtlkqa

fortwtlkqa Member

I was 17 and my dad took me to White Lake South Dakota for a pheasant hunting trip. We took our 6 year old chocalate lab with us. He had never been hunting before. We get out into the first field and he starts running around, he wasn't quite sure what to do. He accidently kicked up a bird and I took the shot. It landed about 75 feet away, and by gosh that Lab went straight for it and brought it back to me and set it at my feet. I about fell over and so did my dad. My dad kept getting mad at the dog because he hunted right in front of me the whole trip. At home my dad was always the one playing fetch with him and spending time with him, but in the field he hunted in front of me! Dad always said I must have had treats in my pocket for him.
    By the 3rd day we both are absolutely blown away by our dog. It's about 11am and all of the sudden Duke freezes on point. My dad and I sat there looking at him in disbelief, we were both so shocked when the pheasant flushed that we both missed. Of course we died laughing at the look on ol' duke's face, he looked at us like "all that work I just did and you missed, come on." He was definitely the best dog I ever owned and those trips with my dad are memories I'll keep forever.

Curt Kinsey

20. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

About 1975 Hampton Roads froze over hard. My son (about14) and I had to break ice to put in a Chincoteague Scow, the boat actually sat on the ice until we got in and moved around to break it. We went about 100 yds off shore and broke a place in the ice about 100'x100'. We shot Bluebills,Canvassback and Brant fruiously for about an hour until we got too cold and couldn't stand it.

We are fortunate that we still hunt together and still tell each other the story as we sit in a duck blind, most recently last week.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.