1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hunting shotguns set up similarly to trap guns....

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I'm curious how many have their field guns set up similarly to their trap and other clay sports guns?<br>
    <br>
    I found it difficult to switch back and forth from a trap stock to a field stock.<br>
    <br>
    So I replaced the wood or synthetic field stocks on most of my hunting shotguns with monte carlo stocks (these being intended for slug use but are almost the same exact dimensions as a trap stock).<br>
    <br>
    The result is I can easily switch back and forth, and the field guns can actually be used quite well for trap.<br>
    <br>
    They do not have a radical POI. The monte carlo stock changed this from a flat 50/50 to a 60/40.<br>
    <br>

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I do not shoot a flat gun well. My Trap Unsingle shoots 100%. My Doubles Trap, Skeet, and Bunker guns shoot around 80/20. This is what I am used to.

If my field gun shot 50/50, I would not like it. It shoots about 80/20, and I do well with it.

I like to know I can shoot all my guns the same.

3. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

When I used to hunt small game, I carried a very old 870 TC with a 30" fixed full choke for dove and squirrel. It worked very well also for late season quail. For early quail and rabbit in cover, I changed the barrel to a 26" improved cylinder or a 20" pure cylinder.

Ed Ward

4. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

Hi,I swapped my original 870 stock to a Monte Carlo style back when I first took up trap and broke my first 25 with it.The Monte Carlo also seemed to help reduce the recoil hitting my cheek also.

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Funny thing happens to me, I have now a XT with the PFS. Set to shoot ALOT higher than oem stock. If I try to shoot trap now with oe stock or my 870 which I learned trap and shot for 2 years and did well. I have a hard time. When I go into the field, it just doesn't seem to matter what I shoot. I also noticed now, I will shoot trap better low mount with a field stock than pre mount. I am thinking that's because I am not burying my head into the stock when shooting low mount.

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I just bought a Remington 11-87 XCS Waterfowler and I'll have to add a 1" spacer to get the LOP close to my trap gun....I haven't shot it yet so I don't know the POI. But for shooting birds over decoys (35 yds. of less), I think it won't matter much if it shoot flat...probably be better as the the birds will be moving downward anyway.

Curt - Delaware

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Yes mine are similar. Several have adjustable combs and even bent barrels. Most shoot 10" or higher POI.

8. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Different strokes for different folks. I shoot a TRUE 50/50 gun and have carried a AA-27-A average with it. I can shoot the same gun for skeet, sporting, doves, anything/everything with no stock changes.
    I do not think what I do is best for trap and I would like to take a clinic from someone who really knows how to shoot trap and tell me what I should be seeing when I do, but so far what I do works OK for me. I have owned and shot for a year each guns with higher POI's and can't hit my back side. Heck, I'm old and probably could'nt change anyway.

9. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I shoot a skeet B grade 1100 remington and added a 30" full fixed choke barrel for trap. I bought it used in 1977 and have killed countless quail,pheasants, ducks, geese, and deer with it. My average is around 95+ or - with it, but thats about the same as the year I used a BT-100. I bought an older BT-99 this fall but it seems to shoot fairly flat as well. I am going to try the BT next year.

10. kolar12

kolar12 Member

I have two Browning XS in 20 and 28 guage. I seemed to be able to shoot the 20 better at sporting clays, so I went to the patterning board to check the point of impact. The 20 was two thirds of a pattern high and the 28 was dead in the middle. I put one spacer in the 28 stock and now they both shoot the same. Now the only difference is that the 20 is a 30 inch barrel and the 28 is a 28 incher. Will see how they perform the next time out. I also use them for bird hunting. Gary

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I actually use my trap guns in the field. The 391 Trap model Beretta is a rooster and chukar killing machine and my 682s work well on high flying doves. Flat shooting field guns that I like for quail work well on the skeet range but not so well on trap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.