1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hunting pics - my son got his first deer

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    [​IMG]<br>
    <br>
    Brian in Oregon with a coyote and son Sean with his first deer. Sean was about 200 yards uphill from here (toward the viewer), sitting in a clearing in a field of Christmas trees on my mother in law's ranch. I was about 100 yards down the road you see to the left (the dark hole). I set Sean up in the clearing, and I walked the long way around the ranch, taking my time and moving slowly. Took about an hour to slowly still hunt it. When I got about 100 yards below here, I heard a large branch break. Quite loud. I thought it might be a deer, so I stepped into some brush to make some noise, with the idea of driving it up into the field. About two minutes later, I heard Sean fire I stayed in position, and a moment later a coyote came streaking out of the brush, right towards me. I swung on him with my 1187 just as he turned sharply to my left. Hit him with a load of Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote 00 buck, but he kept running full out. I then emptied the four slugs in the mag as I swung through him, putting him down. In the meantime, Sean thought he missed his deer, because it looked at him and then walked off. It had actually been hit hard in the lower intestines. He followed, and found the buck laying down. The buck spooked, and got up and started to trot away. Sean then put a round dead center through its heart and lungs, and the buck went about 50 feet and dropped where you see it, leaving a heavy blood trail. I yelled at Sean that I was coming up. He said he was standing over a buck. I told him to just keep the gun on its head, and wait for me. It was good and dead by the time I got there. I then sent Sean back down the road for the coyote. He said he was wondeing what I was shooting at, and that my shots were so fast they sounded like a full auto. Just a few feet to the right in the photo is the fenceline, though it's not visible here. Beyond is a really nasty overgrown logged area with a ravine. It would have been a major job to extract the deer out of there.<br>
    <br>
    [​IMG]<br>
    <br>
    Sean and his buck. This was Sean's last chance to get a buck as a youth, as he turns 18 later this month. The rifle is a Rem 788 in .308, with an old Luepold M8 4x scope. The stock was shortened for him, but though he's outgrown that, he likes the shorter stock for use with heavy clothing and for prone shooting. The buck weighed about 150 lbs on the hoof. Dressed for the butcher (gutted, hide off, no head or lower legs) it weighed 78 lbs.<br>
    <br>
    [​IMG]<br>
    <br>
    Here's the coyote. I skinned him out to see what the terminal effects were. He had four (of nine) 00 buckshot pellets in his lower intestines, but this wasn't even enough to slow him down. The two dark spots on his shoulder are where two slugs hit him. Not bad patterning on a coyote running full out sideways to you at 50 feet. I think trapshooting and sporting clays has helped me a lot with my shotgunning skills, even for slug shooting. My gun, btw, is a Remington 788 fully camo'd turkey gun with a 21" barrel. I was using a mod choke as this groups the best with the slugs, but I prefer a super full choke with #4 buck for coyotes.

2. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

Congratulation to Sean. He will remember the moment with you and the deer the rest of his life.

Your slug story reminds me when my cousin went hunting deer in Illinois with slugs. A nice buck came out at about 80 yards, he put the bead (thats all he had) on the deer's shoulder and pulled the trigger. The deer dropped in his tracks. He went over to the deer, and he had hit it square between the eyes. So much for his markmanship.

3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Very cool Brian! Send my congrat's to your son on a job well done (and not bad shootin' yourself). You both will have a story to tell for quite some time.

ec90t

4. Norm

Norm TS Member

To: Brian and son, Brian (the father) must be one very happy person to have his son interested in shooting a gun and going hunting with D.O.D. (Dear Old Dad) Best Wishes and Thanks for the pictures.

5. cole-mitchell

cole-mitchell TS Member

Congrats sean!

I am 15 and killed my first deer about a month ago as well, nothing compares to that thrill!

-Cole

6. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Congrats Brian and Sean.

By the way, a deer hunt is not a good deer hunt until you bag at least one coyote. Good job!

7. Brian in Oregon

West foothills of the Cascade Range. My mother-in-law's ranch is between Sandy and Estacada, Oregon. I live in Gresham, just east of Portland. I do most of my varminting in Eastern Oregon, though.

8. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Congrats to Sean...my only question is what took him so long?!?! In KY we start hunting when we are big enough to have dad help hold the gun. I killed my first deer when I was 8. I was in a stand all by myself and my dad was in the tree 5 yards away. Savage .223 over a 20 gauge slug barrel. I accidentally switched it to the slug...almost kicked me out of the stand.

Forrest

9. Brian in Oregon

What took so long? Mainly a combination of my health complications from near fatal pneumonia some five years or so ago, and just plain bad luck. Last year we had does and spikes walk up on us, but no forked horns. One spike we could have reached out and touched (we were in full camo). I can finally do some moderately strenuous hiking without coughing up blood from scar tissue on my lungs. He has had success with small game and upland. I do the best I can with the cards I've been dealt.<br>
    <br>
    Gordy, ever done trapshooting at the Portland Gun Club?

10. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Congrat's to you both.

11. nicky

nicky Member

Great to see the building of memories to last a life time. Nice job guy's, Kevin

12. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

Great going, both of you.. Its an event both of you will most likely remember and cherrish the rest of your lives.

I still remember by son's first deer from it taking off from a plum thicket and can see every second right to when my son toppled it head over heels. In talking with him later he admitted that he closed his eyes.

Brian, by the way the biggest deer I have gotten to date (170 class) was shot shortly after dumping a coyote from boredom of sitting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.