1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

hunting over under

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by stu mackay, Jan 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stu mackay

stu mackay TS Member

Iam looking for a used over/under that will handle 3 inch shells for waterfowl hunting. Any ideas and what do you like or dislike? thanks stu

2. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

citori hunter model.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

686 Beretta

Very good field gun but it's good pointing qualities come at the cost of recoil. True of most o/u guns. Also the break action design is not something you will like if your are hunting from a blind. These two reasons are why most waterfowlers use big gas operated autoloaders.

4. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Never had any trouble with my Brownings. I prefer an automatic. That third shot sure comes in handy on waterfowl. The advantages with the over-and-under are the ease of switching between duck loads and goose loads and not ejecting my reloaded hulls out of the blind. With automatic ejectors, without an automatic safety, and a shell strap on the stock with a couple of shells in it you can get very fast at putting two more shells in the gun for two more quick follow-up shots.

5. Frenchy

Frenchy Member

Before you invest in a o/u for waterfowl borrow one to shoot,get some 3 inch duck and goose loads and shoot a round of skeet/trap (if they allow you to use
    hunting loads at you club,some don't) and you may understand why we all shoot autos.Just trying to help.

6. Play Dead

Play Dead Member

Browning makes Citori's in camo. Ceasar Guerini also made a Waterfowler with matte bluing on the barrels. Beretta also has models that will fit the bill. Be sure to buy a model that is a true waterfowl gun, not a light game gun that happens to be chambered for 3" shells as it will be uncomfortable to shoot and difficult to rebound with the 2nd shot. Unfortunately a good waterfowling O/U will not typically do double duty as an upland gun. Simply to heavy to lug around afield. I currently also use a semi-auto, but I'd prefer to be shooting an O/U.

Play Dead

7. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

My 12 gauge Browning Citori weighed 8 pounds. The minimum I would want in an over-and-under waterfowl gun. It wasn't bad on recoil. If the gun had longer barrels I would still own it.

8. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Tough to kill triples with a 2 holer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.