1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hunting out West????

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Tron, Oct 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

My Brother and I have been talking for years about going out West for a hunt, like perhaps Wyoming. Does anyone know of a good outfit, prices and type of game available?? We're looking at 2 years from now, to be realistic.

2. leadoff2

leadoff2 Member

Tron,
    Contact S&S Outfitters in the Casper Wyoming area. Their mailing address is 4010-A South Poplar St. PMB #6, Casper, Wyoming 82601. Phone is 307-266-4229. They offer hunts from town, base camps and even horse and pack in hunts. Game varies from Pronghorn Antelope, Mulies and Elk. Only thing about the Elk hunts are you have to buy points to qualify for a license. All licenses are on a "draw" basis but the Antelope license is pretty good chance of receiving. Prices vary depending on the type of hunt and length of stay but figure on dropping anywhere from 3500 to 6000 each and that would not include airfare. They also provide experienced guides that you will need the services of for success on the hunting trip, and their services are included in the price of the hunt. ( Most hunts are on private ranches and "visitors" not welcome. The no trespassing signs are up for a reason and remember...you are out west..different enforcement of trespassing laws.) You should also figure on tips for the camp cook and the guide plus meat processing and taxidermy work after the hunt. They work with a processor in the Casper area and a very good taxidermist named Scott Ginder in Casper. Hope this helps in your decision.

3. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Tron,

What are you looking to hunt, and what time of year? Guided or unguided?

I live in Idaho, and have also hunted Oregon (years ago - it's where I grew up), Montana, and Wyoming.

Idaho does not have preference points for controlled tags. The others do.

All firearm antelope tags are issued on a controlled hunt only basis in all states as far as I am aware. You can find drawing statistics online at the State's Game Department websites. Wyoming has the most tags. They are tough to draw without preference points in the units with much public land. They are fairly easy to draw in units with mostly private land, but expect to pay a hefty trespass fee. As mentioned above they take their trespass laws very seriously. Montana has a lot of antelope, but again the drawing odds vary depending on the amount of public land or block management units available. Montana also had a huge problem with outfitters leasing private lands for their exclusive use, but that may have changed a bit since the 2010 election. I have not hunted there the last two years so have no firsthand knowledge. Idaho's antelope are mostly on public lands, but there are fewer than WY or MT and the draws are very tough. OR has even fewer with very long odds for drawing. CO, AZ, NM, or UT are other options, but I have no firsthand experience.

Deer are mostly on a draw in eastern Oregon and Wyoming, and with a nonresident cap, first come/first served, in Idaho and Montana. Idaho's nonresident quota has not sold out in recent years. There is abundant public land to hunt deer in each state.

I would not suggest hunting elk without help unless you have a lot of experience and equipment (i.e. horses). Colorado has the most elk and many outfitters. Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho have lots of elk, but not as many as before the wolf reintroductions. Again Wyoming is mostly on a draw basis, while Idaho and Montana have nonresident caps. Some Idaho units have bull hunts without going through a draw, but chances for a big bull are much better in controlled hunt units. In some of those units outfitters are allotted a small number of tags for their clients.

Trophy species (sheep, mountain goats, moose) are on a strict controlled hunt basis almost everywhere, and are a very tough draw.

I've gone for deer and elk with White Cloud Outfitters for five years now, and recommend them very highly. I shot the elk below with them in 2010:

[​IMG]

I also have hunted cow elk with Gary Madsen of 4-4 Outfitters and had a good hunt.

http://www.4-4outfitters.com/

4. Itchyb

Itchyb TS Member

Stay in Michigan you troller.

5. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Tron, the ocst of hunitng out west,Wyoming has risen drastically over the years. A buddy just returned took to antelop about 70 lbs of meat. With cost for food lodging fuel and license, >$45.00 per lbs. This friend has ben going out there for every year for the past 25 yrs. He's taken his last trip

6. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

antelope......70 pounds of meat...wow.

Rick in MT

7. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

2 antelope Rick, still I am lucky to get 30#'s off a large buck antelope, maybe they drug it a while and it felt like 70# Scott

8. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Tron hunt the late whitetail migration south of the porkies. Just as good as any western hunt if you do it right. Pm me for details if you want. Bill

9. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Jeeze....I've received quite a few PM's about how this isn't really a good idea these days. Just not worth the money you spend. How about Texas hog hunting or something similar?

Jb

10. ric3677

Scott, even tho Speed goat is the best eating that there is, You would have to scrap every bone and shoot it in the eye, to get 30 pounds. Your bucks must be bigger than those I have shot.

Rick in MT

11. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

Tron,

I went to Wyoming on 3 different occasions. The 1st time was to hunt antelope. The 2nd was antelope and mule deer. The 3rd was just mule deer. I brought home an antelope the 1st year and a mule deer on my 3rd trip. The second trip was a disaster because we were not prepared for the wind we encountered. The 1st and 2nd year we tent camped it but the 3rd year we took a camper trailer. The trailer was the way to go. We went to the NE corner of Wyoming. We were hunting BLM land and some private lands in the 1st and 2nd time out. By time we made it out for the 3rd time the private lands in the area were being leased out by outfitters, S&S being one of the signs we've seen in the area. Cost for my trips were license fees, traveling expenses from SE WI, and provisions for the week. If I were to go again I would consider an outfitter, but not for the $6000 that was mentioned above. The area offers antelope and mule deer. I didn't see any elk although they are in the area as one of the hunters in the area found a shed. Take a good set of binoculars if you go for mule deer, they are difficult to spot.

Joe

12. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

Tron - If you are going west, why not go north a bit as well? Look at the Guide Outfitter Association of British Columbia website, Region 7B up in the Northeast corner. This area is regarded as the Serengeti of North America, with at least 17 legal game species to hunt. I have hunted up there a few times, and must say I would go back at the drop of a hat. Beautiful country, tons of animals, and very knowlegable guides. On one trip, I watched 8 bucks in a wheat field, 4 whitetail, and 4 muleys, with one of the muleys being a hybrid with a huge whitetail rack. He was so heavy he couldn't get over a 3 wire fence, and had to go throgh it. If you've never seen that, I'm here to tell you, it is interesting to watch.

In this region, you can hunt buffalo, moose, elk, caribou, mule deer, whitetail deer, Rocky Mountain bighorn, Dall sheep, mountain goats, grizzly bears, black bears, wolves, coyotes, lynx, Blue grouse, sharptailed grouse, geese, ducks, and probably some others I've missed. The fishing can be pretty good in some places, as well. The outfitters get a certain number of tags for each species in their territory, so if you book early enough, it shouldn't be a problem getting the hunt you want. I know on my last trip up there, we were just about awash im buffalo, and I saw, but couldn't shoot, the biggest elk I'v ever seen. There were grizzlies all over, several black bears, and 3 packs of wolves within hearing of our base camp.

Check it out. You won't be disappointed in a hunt up there.

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

So, if I get this right, the real harvest in hunting season out west is dollars from the flatlanders.

HM

14. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

The real difference in hunting west versus east is the variety of game. In the Idaho unit I have hunted most over the past few years, 36A SW of Challis, legal big game includes Whitetail Deer, Mule Deer, Rocky Mountain Elk, Pronghorn Antelope, Black Bear, Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep, Mountain Goat, Shiras Moose, Mountain Lion, and Wolf. Sheep, Goat, and Moose are one per lifetime and tough draws for the tags, but the others can be hunted every year if desired.

15. ROGER A.

ROGER A. TS Member

Tron

here in Idaho a nonresident's hunting license is $154.75 (hunting/fishing comb is $240.00.
    deer tag $301.75
    elk tag $416.75
    bear and mtn. lion tags $186.00 each
    wolf $31.75
    all can be purchased over the counter.

when you get ready send me a PM or a note on the forum, i'm not an outfitter or guide but i'll take you guys out to a couple of my best areas that i have hunted all my life.

would be hunting elk around 7000' to 8500' elevation....mule deer over 10,000' elevation, so be in shape

ROGER A. in southeast Idaho

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The dollars per pound approach is not what it is about. Dollars per quality fun is a better way to look at it. If it a matter of filling the freezer on the cheap then stay home and order a half beef.

[​IMG]

PS - I would take Roger up on his offer!

17. ric3677

I wouldn't take Roger up in that offer. He's too damn big to say No to.

Rick in MT

18. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

70 pounds of meat is a better return than 10,000 registered targets...:)

19. ric3677

Shannon,

No disagreement on that one. LOL and you can't put a price on a good time.

20. C-Money

C-Money Member

You can buy 3pt or better bull tags for Western Washington over the counter. Plenty of guides to choose from. Roosevelts have a reputation for having smaller antlers than the Rocky MTN elk in Easern Washington, but Roosevelts have huge bodies. Just another option.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.