1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hunting one specific deer

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by dustit, Dec 19, 2016.

1. dustit

dustit Member

Hey to all. I was just curious how many people actually scout a little bit, find a monster, and hunt that deer the entire year with bow or hunt only that deer during rifle season?

I've hunted the same group of bucks for the last two years out west with the bow. Only had one shot chance and fudged it up. It was well worth the wait though. That is the only time I've ever heard my own heart pumping.

2. buckmark13

buckmark13 Member

I'm working on a 10 pointer that I first saw last year. That guy has my number so far and only shows up when and where I'm not. It's fun and much more enjoyable. Just Friday night I passed on an 8 pointer that I had an arrow on for what seemed forever. My mind was wavering back and forth between taking him and waiting. I passed and have been second guessing myself since, but that's the fun and it give me hope for my next sit.

3. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

Did that one season. Watched a herd buck run his harem for a month before the season opened and knew which trails he favored, when he would travel past good ambush points, and how he reacted to minor bucks encroachment. Season opened, first day I was behind a plum outlier on a hillside overlooking his morning breakfast nook. His does came in leading the way as always and a couple of them seemed agitated. Then came the last of his does and he had his nose right up her nether regions and his neck was swelled up like chipped99's arm. Back all bowed up and he didn't look left, right, straight ahead, or behind. He was absolutely, totally fixated on that doe. Big Whitetail, 10 points per side, 6" plus brow tines, huge base diameter, 26" + spread. He was a B&C book buck I think but I just could not pull the trigger on him. I let him and his does go. Waited until they had cleared the area, picked up and moved to where the bachelor bucks lived and took one of the smaller ones to eat.

My son does the trophy wall stuff and has mounts from all over the world and all kinds of critters but when I killed an animal it was a simple thing. I killed for the food. The things I have seen, in the places I have been, made a lot of memories. Some were preserved with photographs, most not. Those memories will die when I do, and that's OK.

big kahuna and likes-to-shoot thanked this.
  4. DandyRandy

DandyRandy Well-Known Member

Letting a nice one slide in favor of a bigger one is part of the fun. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Two years ago I let a nice 8pt buck walk on opening day at 07:25 in the morning. I figured if I shot it the season was over. I enjoy the hunting lots more than the killing so I thought we will wait and see. Saw several deer but on the last day at dark had an empty tag. No big deal. Had a good time and know that I could have taken one. I shot a nice 10pt this year. Maybe it was the one I let slide.

Claypoppy and AAtrap thanked this.
  5. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

Just finished rifle season doing that very thing.

The old boy would probably go low 180's. The landowner was wanting to get him but he just doesn't have time to hunt anymore with his farming operation and deer is/was his thing.

Anyway, I fought the battle and the deer won.

Claypoppy thanked this.
  6. flashmax

If you ever get the chance to hunt the Arkansas river lands on the South side of the river between Larned and Kinsley pay close attention to the big sections owned by Chicago Pastures about 5 miles East of Garfield on the River Road. From there on around East to the Boy Scout Camp is deer heaven and there are still several BIG bucks living there. About as close to untracked wilderness as you will find in Kansas, there are a bunch of square miles with only foot access to the river and a full mile walk down to the water ( if there is any on the surface outside the spring flow puddles where the critters drink ).

7. pheasantmaster

Thanks. Some fall I'll have to run down there.

I've got alittle spot of wilderness about 20 miles west of me, the CK ranch. Adjacent land around it isn't any different. Alot of hills, cuts, Creek beds and brush. The only time some of them deer is spring or fall when cattle are moved.

8. big kahuna

big kahuna Well-Known Member

If I see a monster during bow season I might wait a little while but not long. Too much pressure where I hunt.
    George

9. flashmax

Back before 1965 when the dam broke in Colorado and the Ark river flooded there were farm/market roads out there just like all of Kansas used to have, after that flood the State declined to replace several bridges and 'culvert crossings' and the land went back to mostly pasture and trees instead of marginal cropland ( sandy as hell, sugar sand, blow sand ) so it reverted. There are some circle irrigation systems out there that produce good crops and the deer just use those crops as smorgasboard. Grow big. Taste good. Some of the roads are still sorta/kinda there. They reverted to two track. Lot of good Quail ground, Pheasant ground. Damn good ground for a kid and his dog to wander in. I grew up down there so I can build a picture in my mind. Went back out there every time I went to one of FrankO's shoots at Kinsley and it has changed some but not a lot. I love that country.

10. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I've been very fortunate. Got out of the service in '72 & got a buck every year since.
    Two years ago I saw the buck of a lifetime.
    Filmed him two weeks before the season started and studied his pattern. 5 days befoe the archery season the farmer took his corn down and I lost all sign of him, a massive 16 point. I waited all season, passing up several nice bucks. When I finally came to grips that I wasnt gonna get him I saw him running with 8 doe in and open field but I was 75 yards in the woods and couldnt get a clear shot.
    I got him on film and look at it often. THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY

Claypoppy thanked this.
  11. pheasantmaster

I'd meet you down there sometime for a tour

12. flashmax

The Spring Fling in May maybe? If my rehab goes well that would be a good time.

13. pheasantmaster

Give me a heads up if your going to make it.

flashmax thanked this.
  14. docbombay

docbombay Well known trouble maker

I archery hunt a specific buck every year on my property.

This year I have been after the buck in the pictures below. This is a five year old buck that I have been watching since he was two. I have tons of pictures of him from my cams, all at night. I have only seen him in daylight hours four times this season. He has gone nocturnal again as of December 20th. My only chance will be in January when he perhaps will get into a feeding pattern that I can identify.

If I do not kill that buck, I do not kill any other. I pass. And I have not killed a buck now for two years. I only harvest 160 P&Y or above. I learned a long time ago to measure success by the experience, not the kill.

Ollie1.jpg
    Ollie3.jpg

smokintom, big kahuna, Claypoppy and 2 others thanked this.
  15. buckmark13

buckmark13 Member

Wow Doc, that is one to go after for sure! Keep us posted and good luck; hopefully he gets on a pattern again for you!

docbombay thanked this.
  16. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    docbombay thanked this.
  17. Claypoppy

Claypoppy Well-Known Member

The invention of the trail cam made targeting a specific buck a much more attainable goal. That's not to say it's easy, because IMO, a mature whitetail buck is one of the most elusive animals on the planet to hunt.

18. DandyRandy

DandyRandy Well-Known Member

Doc. No truer words could be spoken about the hunting experience.

docbombay and Claypoppy thanked this.
  19. big kahuna

big kahuna Well-Known Member

Good luck Doc. I hope you get him.
    George

docbombay thanked this.
  20. pheasantmaster

I like your style. Two years for me also.

docbombay thanked this.