1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hunting Griffon Pups - WPG

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gold40, Aug 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gold40

gold40 Member

(This is slightly off-topic, but I thought some might be interested....)

Yesterday, my spouse and I picked up a new 7 week old Wire-Haired Pointing Griffon pup in Stevens Point, Wisconsin. Breeder is Dale Bruni, who has been an active HAVHDA participant and brreder.

Eight years ago, I acquired my current hunting WPG from this same breeder and bloodline, and have been very pleased with her. We take over a 100 birds over her every year. And the new pup has some of the same bloodline, so I have high expectations.

He has 2 male and 2 female pups still available, and all seemed very sound. I tried to talk my wife into letting me buy two pups, but I guess I'm not that good a salesperson. If anyone is interested in a hunting Griffon pup, you might want to give Dale Bruni a call at 715-341-9317.

Jerry Goldstein
    St. Louis, MO

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Jerry, how do they handle the heat? Iam running a wire hair now but have a desire to own a Griffon. This is one concern I've had with using this breed for an all around hunter.

3. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

I too have a dog from Dale's line. His dogs are top preformers. Griff's are not great in heat, but like most dogs they will work OK and just slower if given enough water.

Griff's are an excellent choice for the one dog home that hunts upland and waterfowl. My friends are amazed at her drive to retrieve on water and yet they work the fields great too. Griff's are the most improved versatile breed over the last 20 years because of careful breeding of hunting stock proven through NAVHDA (North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association) testing and training. They have great dispostitions and most will be a little closer working than a wire hair. Mine still works out a reasonable distance in the open and stays in touch in the grouse woods.

Most testing of NAVHDA dogs is done in the summer with the Invitational being held this week in Mn. As long as the dogs have water and are monitored they will hunt up a storm.

4. gold40

gold40 Member

I concur with the comments above.

In the summer, I clip my Griffon pretty short, although some leave them with a full coat year around.

This is a very good all-around breed: upland pointing and retrieving, water fowl retrieving, and great house pets. They hunt closer than many other breeds.

JERRY

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

dale bruni griffon